Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,951 Posts
That board might, but the CPU is more important. The CPU's batch number has a HUGE impact on the chances of having a stable fourth core. Also, there is no guarantees. Don't buy the X3 just so you can unlock the other core.

Like my motherboard can unlock X2 550's, but my CPU won't unlock because of its batch number.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing I would just be taking a run for my money in buying the X3. I know there's a good possibility the fourth core could be unstable. But you think that that board could unlock the fourth core? I want to be sure that it will so I don't burn money on it and be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
8,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
View Post

I'm guessing I would just be taking a run for my money in buying the X3. I know there's a good possibility the fourth core could be unstable. But you think that that board could unlock the fourth core? I want to be sure that it will so I don't burn money on it and be disappointed.

Go with 7HM's suggestion. Even if your CPU won't unlock, it's still a very nice and speedy processor.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The ud3p board wise is amazing for overclocking and like i said before a lot of people have had great results unlocking their fourth core but as kenny stated its more dependent on the CPU itself rather than the motherboard, but as far as motherboards go for what you want to do this would be the best choice.

·
Premium Member
8,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If I wasn't planning on CFing then I would totally buy that. I need a board that supports full x16 on both PCIe ports. -__-

Then get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128387

EDIT: Just realized this one does x16, x8. Honestly you won't notice the difference with Crossfire. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that ECS board does x16, x16.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny
View Post

Then get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128387

That board looks great man. Honestly and I thank you guys for your help. Thing is I'm worried about the x8 bandwidth in crossfire. In the future that could cost me money when the newer video cards come out and they'll bottleneck because of the x8 bandwidth.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I originally bought that same exact board and had nothing but problems. Board was DOA (I know, it happens) but the worst part was the support. The tech I talked to was a complete douche bag who blamed everything on me. He was telling me that my CPU power probably wasn't connected, the 24pin wasn't connected, it was shorting out because of bad placement in the case, etc. If you look thorough, there are numerous reviews stating they had horrible experiences with ECS. I would stay very far away from them.

·
Premium Member
8,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant
View Post

I originally bought that same exact board and had nothing but problems. Board was DOA (I know, it happens) but the worst part was the support. The tech I talked to was a complete douche bag who blamed everything on me. He was telling me that my CPU power probably wasn't connected, the 24pin wasn't connected, it was shorting out because of bad placement in the case, etc. If you look thorough, there are numerous reviews stating they had horrible experiences with ECS. I would stay very far away from them.

There's ECS for ya'

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That board looks great man. Honestly and I thank you guys for your help. Thing is I'm worried about the x8 bandwidth in crossfire. In the future that could cost me money when the newer video cards come out and they'll bottleneck because of the x8 bandwidth.

No it wont be bottle necked the difference is very minimal and if you do want dual 16x then your best choice is either of these 2 boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128377

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131392

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny
View Post

There's ECS for ya'

Seriously, I could hear the guy eating something while talking to me on the phone. It was pretty bad. I tried to get to a manager or some to complain to, but gave up. It wasn't worth it. I just setup an RMA with Newegg and got my money back.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant
View Post

Thats good to know.
Well what about this Foxconn

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186168

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thats good to know.
Well what about this Foxconn

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186168

That shouldn't have too much of a problem overclocking but unlocking i wouldn't be so sure and if you want to have a board that's worth while for the future I'd just save some extra cash if i were you and get the crosshair because its a beast and sometimes there's some open boxes for a very very low price.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
if your seriously worried about the bandwidth issue then getting a 790fx would be your only option considering there the only amd chipset right now that offers 16-16, but as everyone else said its not a big deal if you where trying too quadfire 4870x2's on the other hand that's when you would notice the bandwidth cap but as for 4850-4890 its pretty much non existent.

as for company suggestions gigabyte, asus, foxconn, and dfi are the better ones out of the bunch but biostar does offer some nice overclocking boards i'm just unsure of there overall quality and service though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts