Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I am not very good at coding, only took one class just for fun, but can there be enough If Statements in a Algorithm, that allow a program to write its own code when it gets stumped? Like If A fails, then B ... i dunno im losing my mind. >.>

is AI even possible if everything is an if statement written by a human?
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
That depends on what you definition of AI is.

If resolving one if/else statement = Ai, then yes..
If resolving 10 nested if/else statement = Ai, then yes.
If resolving 10,000 nested if/else statement = Ai, then yes.
...and so on.

At the current "state of the art" the definition of AI depends on whom is doing the defining.

The big question about "What is AI?" is whether Ai augments human endeavors or replaces them. Or. more importantly whether it should replace human endeavors, the thought being that, at the current pace of AI progress, in about 35 years humans will be totally replaceable and what are the moral implications of that? At the current time our society is not involved in making that decision, the AI researchers are!

And you thought you were asking a simple question...............
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

That depends on what you definition of AI is.

If resolving one if/else statement = Ai, then yes
If resolving 10 nested if/else statement = Ai, then yes
If resolving 10,000 nested if/else statement = Ai, then yes

...and so on.

At the current "state of the art" the definition of AI depends on whom is doing the defining.

Another big question is whether Ai augments human endeavors or replaces them..
exactly something I have been arguing with to my irl friends, because to me AI isnt ai until it can have an original self-aware thought. and my argument is, can if statements even allow that. lol i dunno, i think advanced ai in my definition (often portrayed in hollywood) is really misleading to what is actually possible
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
I don't think there is an "event horizon" for self awareness, It's a continuum.

Galileo would think that a "box" (Siri) that could answer questions was self aware.
There may be beings in the cosmos that think our very concept of self awareness is crude at best.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

I don't think there is an "event horizon" for self awareness, It's a continuum.

Galileo would think that a "box" (Siri) that could answer questions was self aware.
There may be beings in the cosmos that think our very concept of self awareness is crude at best.
well said mate.
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
If you're interested, there's a fascinating book about the future of AI called "Machines of love and grace" by John Markoff. It's an interesting read.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

If you're interested, there's a fascinating book about the future of AI called "Machines of love and grace" by John Markoff. It's an interesting read.
ordering it now, thanks mate. im watching this debate, its unrelated but awesome so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBY6O2p0hI

also unrelated to that video and this topic kind of...

What does it mean to Self-Aware? What is consciousness? Sometimes when I peoplewatch, I feel really alone, like minority of us our self-aware, but not everyone is.... does that mean some humans are genetically advanced than others? So confusing, I dunno, gonna finish watching this debate then head to bed, cheers mate
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top