Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering, is it possible to have a kind of RAID (forgot which one) setup where you have 2 HDDs and the second just mirrors the first so that you have a backup of your entire system on another drive?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Raid 1.
but I think the raid controller refers to it as Mirrored.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Yep, spot on their. RAID 1 will use to drives acting as clones of each other and if 1 fails you can rebuilt from the single drive and you don't loose anything

Almost every motherboard these days has the RAID controller built in so no additional cards are required

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I know it's from wikipedia but I've read it on other sites. Just can't seem to find the links.

Quote:
A RAID system used as a main system disk is not intended as a replacement for backing up data. In parity configurations it will provide a backup-like feature to protect from catastrophic data loss caused by physical damage or errors on a single drive. Many other features of backup systems cannot be provided by RAID arrays alone. The most notable is the ability to restore an earlier version of data, which is needed to protect against software errors causing unwanted data to be written to the disk, and to recover from user error or malicious deletion. RAID can also be overwhelmed by catastrophic failure that exceeds its recovery capacity and, of course, the entire array is at risk of physical damage by fire, natural disaster, or human forces. RAID is also vulnerable to controller failure since it is not always possible to migrate a RAID to a new controller without data loss.[10]
RAID drives can serve as excellent backup drives when employed as removable backup devices to main storage, and particularly when located offsite from the main systems. However, the use of RAID as the only storage solution does not replace backups.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Yeah, I use RAID 1 myself. It's pretty cheap these days to do, just buy a couple 500 gig HDs for $40 each and boom, insta-RAID. Keep in mind though that some companies (*cough Western Digital cough*) set their drives in a mode that fails them out of a RAID although they deny it's to force people to buy their special RAID edition drives.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Just remember Raid 1 backs up everything including Viruses and Malware. If you are looking for a fail safe to bring you back for anything other than hardware failure you need to back up your data externally. You can make back ups to disc or to external hard drive, but you need to do it often.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
If you actually want a RAID array then its a Mirror which is RAID 1.

If you don't want RAID and just want one drive to clone the other, use a disk imaging/backup program like Acronis TrueImage Home 2010.

I use it for backups and it is great.

• Rep+
Reactions: SpookedJunglist

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You can alliteratively use windows 7 built in backup. That works good. Just create a system image every night or something like that. This is what I do when I format now. I created a system image of my new system the way I wanted it and I just put in the repair disk and restore my image to my drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts