Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to find a cheap alternative to have a mobile gaming platform to bring back to my hometown every other week when I go visit my friends which are gamers. I generally go big when it comes to my computers so...they're heavy...and very obnoxious to unhook and travel with.

So I found this Gateway P-6831FX on craigslist.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-p-6831fx/4505-3121_7-32822855.html?tag=subnav#reviewPage1

I know the hardware is a bit dated but I know it's still "decent" to play games on, on the go. I know the 8800GTS is still an alright gpu for games, I have an 8800GT that still rocks out just fine granted I know I'm not going to be playing on max which I don't care. I don't know anything about the Intel cpu but my buddy has an x2 6000+ in his computer which was generally a garbage cpu and it plays BF3 just fine.

Games we'd be playing would be L4D2, BF3 (it scales pretty good), and some older games not worth mentioning because I know they'll run fine.

If the CPU isn't the best I mean I could always just plop in a better one.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I doubt that laptop would run BF3 well.

I have an Asus ROG with a T9550 (runs at 2.9ghz when using asus turbo mode) with a GTX260m and BF3 runs pretty well on it. Definitely not perfect but it is useable.

Check the Mobile Computing classified on here, there are generally a handful of laptops for sale. Mine is! haha

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya but for 250 bucks? I won't lie, most of the time I'm out there I usually end up playing indie games. L4D2 might be the only big game we play as well as maybe some Counter Strike Source. I also might be trading my 12 gauge for this since I'm not entirely rich with a spare 250 to my name lol.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I have a Asus G60VX and Im pretty happy with it. Has a Geforce gtx260m what is pretty much a under clocked 9800gtx. Has a P7450 at 2.13ghz but can overclock to 2.6. Overclocking really helps and I plan on getting a t9600 to replace it. Really that laptop is good, just lacking in cpu power. BF3 was not vary playable on my laptop, BFBC2 was though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3c4h2 View Post

It looks like it can rock Doom 3 so L4D shouldn't be that much more of a challenge.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8800M-GTS.6934.0.html
If you have desktop 8800GT remember it is going to be better than the mobile equivalent.
BF3 is going to be very low I bet. As far as buying from craiglist...could be great, could be a disaster who knows?
Yes an 8800gt on desktop is wayy better than the mobile named. Check notebook check for numbers

Looks like close to or even below a 540m. Below the above mentioned 260m; Not great. I'm mostly worried about the CPU. That dual core is okay..bf3 likes multi cores or threads. $250 is nice but still wasted if you're not happy with performance. L4d2 will be fine though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts