Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me understand how & why GPT 128MB Reserved Logical Partitions?

See 1 of my 3tb GTP Logical drives does not have the 128MB GPT Reserved but the other one does? I would like to not have that 128MB GPT Reserved Parititon

Reason why is I want to know what I did to get no 128MB Reserved partition, its annoying to look at is all. I will be backing up all the data & then creating a RAID 0 so it is all 1 big volume.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Windows arbitrarily creates the reserve partition in the event that the system needs the space. You can google pretty much your exact question to find a whole slew of articles and questions on this exact topic.

If you plan on nuking them for a RAID array you don't have to worry about the partition. If you want to reliably avoid the creation of the reserve partition, use diskpart to directly create the partition.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man, I just need the command to initialize GPT from diskpart & create logical 64kb partition & format ntfs quick (already been wrote to zeros) & assign done

so it's like

diskpart

select volume or disk, I think its volume?

Create partition logical ... but how do I make it 64KB cluster size from dispart? ill google around. Thank you!

Diskpart

list disk

select disk (number of disk be careful not to select wrong disk, I once wiped a drive on accident doing this & lost everything)

clean quick

Create partition logical (logical because that way windows cannot be installed on logical or gpt & cannot interfere in setup because windows cannot be installed on logical only primary)

format quick

format quick unit=64K

assign

done

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can't create logical or extended partitions on a GPT disk.

After creating the RAID array this is what I'd do in diskpart.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs unit=64k
assign

That'll create 1 full partition using the entire size of the array in GPT.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
GPT formatted disks and the UEFI partition specification do not allow hidden sectors.[3] Microsoft reserves a chunk of disk space using this MSR partition type, to provide an alternative data storage space for such software components which previously may have used hidden sectors on MBR formatted disks. Such software components, for example LDM as mentioned above, can create a small software-component specific partition from a portion of the space reserved in the MSR partition.
Best piece of information I can find. Basically a legacy thing. It is also used to allow bitlocker to unlock the drive by loading a micro-kernel and key. There are ways to prevent its creation during install but I have not tested them.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Best piece of information I can find. Basically a legacy thing. It is also used to allow bitlocker to unlock the drive by loading a micro-kernel and key. There are ways to prevent its creation during install but I have not tested them.
MY GPT drives are strictly storage so I just used MiniTool Partition Wizard (free version) to delete that annoying 128MB partition, then expand the main partition into the now unallocated space. 128MB is not enough space to be an issue; it just annoys me.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
>.> I just leave them personally.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
MY GPT drives are strictly storage so I just used MiniTool Partition Wizard (free version) to delete that annoying 128MB partition, then expand the main partition into the now unallocated space. 128MB is not enough space to be an issue; it just annoys me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can just install Windows10 without the other drives plugged in (OS SSD only), and that partition will be put on the OS drive or not created at all... never having to deal with it at all..

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can just install Windows10 without the other drives plugged in (OS SSD only), and that partition will be put on the OS drive or not created at all... never having to deal with it at all..
I do not, and will not, use Win 10 (I'm still using Win 7)! I keep my OS and programs segregated from my data so my boot drives will be less than 2TB, allowing me, so far, to format the boot drives as MBR. That story will change when I start using a M.2 SSD with NVMe for a boot drive later this year and when I switch over to Linux sometime before Win 7's EOL.

·
Registered
874 Posts

If you create the partitions that you want using diskpart, Windows won't interfere with them on data drives. You can unplug them for peace of mind but it's not necessary so long as there's no human error during partitioning.

I do not, and will not, use Win 10 (I'm still using Win 7)! I keep my OS and programs segregated from my data so my boot drives will be less than 2TB, allowing me, so far, to format the boot drives as MBR. That story will change when I start using a M.2 SSD with NVMe for a boot drive later this year and when I switch over to Linux sometime before Win 7's EOL.

IMO the Win7 meme is more hassle then its worth. For all of the compromises that must be made to avoid Win10 I'd rather just let them spy on me. What are they going to do, targeted advertising? Google already does that, and much more effectively because they own my email service, save my Chrome data, and are in my pocket with a microphone and 40 other sensors to track me. I'm not going to gimp my entire main computing experience out of fear that Microsoft will somehow exploit my gaming and anime watching habits. I could understand having a separate system for more confidential activities, but to limit your experience across the board on principle? Seems a little silly to me.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
...IMO the Win7 meme is more hassle then its worth. For all of the compromises that must be made to avoid Win10 I'd rather just let them spy on me. What are they going to do, targeted advertising? Google already does that, and much more effectively because they own my email service, save my Chrome data, and are in my pocket with a microphone and 40 other sensors to track me. I'm not going to gimp my entire main computing experience out of fear that Microsoft will somehow exploit my gaming and anime watching habits. I could understand having a separate system for more confidential activities, but to limit your experience across the board on principle? Seems a little silly to me.
Win 10 is the one that cripples one's computer. Win 10 does far more intrusion than mere targeted advertising. Unlike Win 10, Win 7 doesn't ram unwanted updates down my throat, suddenly make some software and hardware obsolete, or spy on me (it's far easier to stop the spying in Win 7 than in Win 10). Win 7 has a better GUI (Win 10s is flat ugly and primitive looking). Another nail in Win 10's coffin for me was dropping WMC.

For the record, I don't use Google anything including Chrome, the search engine, email, Google Drive, Nest thermostat, etc. My notebooks have the cameras and microphones permanently disabled. I don't use social media (I have better things to do than waste time with social media—I prefer real life friends I see in real life—and having to constantly be on guard for the latest scams and policy changes that enhance their ability to spy on me). Maybe people like you don't care who spies on you or that MS pretty much owns and totally controls any computer with Win 10 on it but some of us prefer to try to hold onto any semblance of privacy and control of our computers we can.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Win 10 is the one that cripples one's computer. Win 10 does far more intrusion than mere targeted advertising. Unlike Win 10, Win 7 doesn't ram unwanted updates down my throat, suddenly make some software and hardware obsolete, or spy on me (it's far easier to stop the spying in Win 7 than in Win 10). Win 7 has a better GUI (Win 10s is flat ugly and primitive looking). Another nail in Win 10's coffin for me was dropping WMC.

Just a different experience then I guess. I have yet to have an update break anything across the 14 computers I've installed it on, so I've become pretty convinced of its compatibility from personal experience. Although on more than one occasion I've wiped a computer 3 or 4 times back-to-back to get the install configured precisely how I want it to avoid these issues. The GUI is subjective, and I absolutely understand if you're a dedicated WMC user and don't want to use any of the third-party alternatives. IMO the updated file management, API compatibility, NVMe, and up-to-date program support is just too good to pass up on.

I'm not going to pull the "got nothing to hide" card, but the concerns are overblown. They're not intentionally and actively trying to incriminate you for your dark-web antics, or keylog all of your passwords. They're primarily concerned with application performance and user experience. Is it invasive? Yes. Inherently evil? Not so much.

As a side note, Edge has been broken for me since release on all computers in one way or another. On my current computer I have to use Internet Explorer to download Chrome, because Edge crashes when navigating between webpages. Its impressive how inconsistent it is for being such a common application.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
MS Keylogs everything in 10
MS even bragged about telemetry that spoiled bitcoin browser highjacking good or bad it's just creepy :)

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
...They're not intentionally and actively trying to incriminate you for your dark-web antics...
Why do people assume the reason some people value their privacy is because they are doing something shady, illegal, or immoral?

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Why do people assume the reason some people value their privacy is because they are doing something shady, illegal, or immoral?
Hi,
Because it's all they can come up with pretty much the tech race card lol :D

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Hi,
Because it's all they can come up with pretty much the tech race card lol :D
:headscrat My back is out (stupid thing goes out more than I do) so my mind isn't working. Could you rephrase that for a senile old lady?

·
Registered
874 Posts

I'm just saying that their intent likely isn't to personally identify you. Its part of the territory when they try to gather as much relevant user-experience data as possible. I'm not saying its right, but to boycott the entire platform on that principle alone is a bit silly to me. Knowing how many times per minute you click the start menu or how often you search through the control panel for a nested setting isn't particularly sinister. I understand the concern for "losing control of your own computer" but from my experience the end-result of people (not enthusiasts mind you) managing their own computers, is that they end up being unsecured, out of date, unoptimized, and in many cases unusable; and Microsoft takes the blame for that experience. I've seen first hand with all of my computer illiterate colleagues that automatically controlling their update cycles and optimization tasks has vastly improved their computing experience. The PR they lose for data collection woes is a drop in the bucket compared to how many people used to view Windows; as some wild west with viruses running rampant and systems slowing to a crawl.

I would like a super efficient hyper optimized selective feature offline version of Win10, but I'm not going to sacrifice my own user experience just so that they can't graph my usage habits. However if you just don't like the Win10 experience, all power to you. I'm just saying not to let a little analytics ruin your whole life.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
:headscrat My back is out (stupid thing goes out more than I do) so my mind isn't working. Could you rephrase that for a senile old lady?
Hi,
Supposed to end the conversation as a winner
When they actually lost it by saying we must be hiding something or doing wrong that we don't want MS to record everything we do with 10 keylogger :)

Internet sniffers and an operating sniffer are two entirely different animals :)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I feel Fitz won this one. *backs away slowly*

·
New001
2,668 Posts
If you create the partitions that you want using diskpart, Windows won't interfere with them on data drives. You can unplug them for peace of mind but it's not necessary so long as there's no human error during partitioning.

Ah ok, i think i got in the habit many years ago when i was a child to have only the OS drive plugged in when i did OS installs. I suppose I have broken my rule from time to time over the years, but generally have done it and never had an issue like OP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts