Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it. I'm wanting to make a computer a server. I don't really have the money to install a pcie graphics card right now. I do have a card in another computer that I can install to get everything set up. The computer is a Pentium 4 and I have a gig of ram to stick in it. I'm wanting to run a battlefield 2 server. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
hmm NO

If you pulled it out when it was running or something like that it would most likly damage it.

ALSO I don't think it will post/boot without a GFX card....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhrandy View Post
Thanks. I know you can't pull one out while it's running. I was just wondering if you could boot without it.
unless you ave onboard you cannot. . . But as the others said there are cheap ones (either PCI-e or PCI) on the egg or craigslist/ebay . . your budget shouldnt be that thinned out lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
maby if you got a cheapo one instaled it did the whole OS thing to the rig set it up for being used remotely figure out how to restart the thing properly with out seeing the screen uninstale the card from the OS restart gointo the bios set it up so it bypasses the error search keyboard and the such save the settings exit bios before ramtest use the instante off 4 second thing on the power button if you got it take out card, power on and cross fingers

dont qoute me i dont know if it will work might ,might not
but there has to be a way to get a board to post and boot with just a hard drive, a cd rom and the psu

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhrandy
View Post

Thanks. I know you can't pull one out while it's running. I was just wondering if you could boot without it.

A computer will boot and operate just fine without a graphics card. However,this is highly impractical, as you would have to set your server application to auto start as you wouldn't be able to see anything on your monitor to start it yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhrandy
View Post

Just got a Radion 9200 PCI card. This should work.

That card will do you fine for running a game server.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurin
View Post

maby if you got a cheapo one instaled it did the whole OS thing to the rig set it up for being used remotely figure out how to restart the thing properly with out seeing the screen uninstale the card from the OS restart gointo the bios set it up so it bypasses the error search keyboard and the such save the settings exit bios before ramtest use the instante off 4 second thing on the power button if you got it take out card, power on and cross fingers

but there has to be a way to get a board to post and boot with just a hard drive, a cd rom and the psu

When I read that outloud, it sounds like that its the enf o the world song by REM

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
I run my server without a video card. What you do is install windows or linux and either setup ssh and vnc or setup remote desktop. Then all you have to do is connect to it from your other pc and use it that way. Make sure to goto into bios and sett error options to none so it will always boot with or without a video card or keyboard.

• Rep+
Reactions: CyberDruid

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

When I read that outloud, it sounds like that its the enf o the world song by REM

It really does!

Six o'clock - TV hour Don't get caught in foreign towers Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting Every motive escalate Automotive incinerate Light a candle, light a votive Step down, step down Watch your heel crush, crushed Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline!

The similarities are downright uncanny!

·
Banned
728 Posts
i dont know compared to the other programs but radmin (remote admin) works great. really good refresh rate. ive had no problems with it.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
Tho rad cost money vnc is free so is remote desktop.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
Id try to get a student copy of win2003 good stable os and turn on remote desktop allows unlimted sessions so you can run differt things on each. And load a a ftp or share its drive so you can send files back and forth to it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a Radion 9200 PCI card and the server is running fine. It's just a Pentium 4, 3.0 server with 512mb of memory. I'm running Windows Home Server RC1. It's saved me serveral times from having to re-installing my OS when something screws up. I have used it to setup a Synergy server running HL2.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts