Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I've been told you can, and that you can use the speed of the SSD but store all the actual information/memory on the hard drive. I plugged in the SSD, is that all I need to do or do I need to install an operating system on it as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Install the OS on the SSD then plug in your HDD and when you install certain programs (steam) just make sure your HDD is the path your data is written to.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
I'm running a 64gb SSD for the OS and 2tb for my stuff. It definitely gives the computer some pep when it comes to speed since the OS and the small programs I use is on the SSD. There are some really good guides on this site to set up and optimize a SSD+HDD configuration.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

I guess you can go the other route and use the SSD just for storage but unless you plan on spending $300+ you're going to get something relatively small so you would greatly benefit from loading the os on the SSD. I would also highly recommend doing a fresh os install if you put it on the SSD - ghosting it will bring over all the non-ssd optimized settings and it will take you a lot longer to reconfigure everything and you'll probably miss something. There are things you need to disable like defrag.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcrispy;15225533
Because I've been told you can, and that you can use the speed of the SSD but store all the actual information/memory on the hard drive. I plugged in the SSD, is that all I need to do or do I need to install an operating system on it as well?

Thanks in advance.
If you want the speed of the solid state drive, then the operating system must be installed onto it. Otherwise, if the OS is installed to the hard drive, then you'll never feel the speed of the solid state drive.

You can install things to both the solid state drive as well as the hard drive. All you have to do is tell the installer where you want it to install to. So whenever you install anything, always look for a "Custom" or "Advanced" type of install. This will guarantee you that you get a point during the installation setup that allows you to change the path which means you'll be able to select the hard drive if you want (the folder names can be whatever you want).

Note: leave the hard drive disconnected until you are done installing the OS onto the solid state drive. This prevents any possibility of the boot sector getting placed onto the hard drive.

Also, there's really nothing else you need to do. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipg10;15225573
Install the OS on the SSD then plug in your HDD and when you install certain programs (steam) just make sure your HDD is the path your data is written to.
I already have a hard drive with the operating system. Do I need to uninstall it on my hard drive?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15225589
If you want the speed of the solid state drive, then the operating system must be installed onto it. Otherwise, if the OS is installed to the hard drive, then you'll never feel the speed of the solid state drive.

You can install things to both the solid state drive as well as the hard drive. All you have to do is tell the installer where you want it to install to. So whenever you install anything, always look for a "Custom" or "Advanced" type of install. This will guarantee you that you get a point during the installation setup that allows you to change the path which means you'll be able to select the hard drive if you want (the folder names can be whatever you want).

Note: leave the hard drive disconnected until you are done installing the OS onto the solid state drive. This prevents any possibility of the boot sector getting placed onto the hard drive.
Is there a way to uninstall the OS on the hard drive, or would I just need to wipe it? Because that Isn't a big problem.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcrispy;15225609
Is there a way to uninstall the OS on the hard drive, or would I just need to wipe it? Because that Isn't a big problem.
There's no need. Besides, operating systems don't get uninstalled. After all, they're operating systems.
wink.gif

It will be fine if you just leave it the way it is just as long as the solid state drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15225623
There's no need. Besides, operating systems don't get uninstalled. After all, they're operating systems.
wink.gif

It will be fine if you just leave it the way it is just as long as the solid state drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS.
Alright, that's all I need to do?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcrispy;15225718
Alright, that's all I need to do?
Yep!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15225589

Also, there's really nothing else you need to do. Keep it simple.
i think he means when you go into programs to uninstall things?

for example you boot and use the ssd speeds but when you uninstall a program the programs from the hdd show up since its all saved to it instead

i could be mistaken tho thats how i interpreted it

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen;15225752
i think he means when you go into programs to uninstall things?

for example you boot and use the ssd speeds but when you uninstall a program the programs from the hdd show up since its all saved to it instead

i could be mistaken tho thats how i interpreted it
He means to literally uninstall the entire operating system. It is actually a very common question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcrispy;15225756
Okay, thanks.
You're welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts