Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Intel 4950 3.7ghz, 12 gb 1600mhz ram, 240gb ssd, 2 spindle hdd's, gt 1030 fanless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloooo. My user name is crow high. Like flying high and cheap, cheaper the better. I've been a little bit frustrated. The only game I play with regularity is supreme commander forged alliance FAF. And the players now keep raising the unit cap using mods which means I need a faster cpu to keep up with them. I currently have a I3-2100, 7 ddr3 ram, and a gt 1030. The only thing I need is faster cpu speed, and this little burner won't overclock and to make it worse it's a dell. The local advertisements here are asking money for other dells. or custom pc's that I know are rip offs, or burned cpu's with unflattering performance. I almost got a mobo and a6-6400k for $70.00 but the owner refused to allow me to test it ;) then told me it was sold. All the local second hand stuff here are sandy bridges and their housed in dells and hp's. I went to err a popular hardware forum that has been up for some time and a lot of users kept telling me a new cpu would be better than and older cpu at the same 3.1 ghz frequency. Yeh right!! what am I a hobbit. Then I thought about overclock.net and remembered all the cool custom mod pictures that users submitted. So please help me find a new build ? Or just brain storming would be cool.

I'm thinking this will have to be an online seller build. Because the local stores have been bought out by u.s franchises, and now all I can get are coffee lake cpu's and the latest ryzen cpu's. I can't buy from amazon because they keep asking me for a new phone number, even after I've been a member and customer for more years than I can count.

I already have a psu that is rated at 500 watts. I bought it for the NVIDIA gt 1030. At least I have two parts I can use in a new build hopefully? my goal is a cpu that can reach around 4 ghz. Ideally everyone in FAF needs to use 5ghz cpu's for 2k unit count but only a few users have them, so I'd like to get around 4 ghz :eek:

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
The rated wattage of the PSU does not mean its good or it can actually do what it claims or it could be limited to below 50c or have most if the wattage on the 5v rail if its old enough or about a dozen other limits or problems so you probably wont be able to re-use the PSU

What brand and model is it?

·
Registered
Intel 4950 3.7ghz, 12 gb 1600mhz ram, 240gb ssd, 2 spindle hdd's, gt 1030 fanless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand I don't know. What model? I don't know. It's a dell I can't slide it out without removing the motherboard. It's an old game and doesn't require much juice e.g from the video card unlike battlefield 4. It's got a 24 pin and a 8 pin connector, several sata power connectors and monolog connectors. It's almost new. The psu isn't something I'm worrying about. It gives 500 watts that I'm almost sure of because of it's performance while playing BF4. Why do you ask, are you thinking of cpu's that require more than 100 watts of power to run?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
What brand I don't know. What model? I don't know. It's a dell I can't slide it out without removing the motherboard. It's an old game and doesn't require much juice e.g from the video card unlike battlefield 4. It's got a 24 pin and a 8 pin connector, several sata power connectors and monolog connectors. It's almost new. The psu isn't something I'm worrying about. It gives 500 watts that I'm almost sure of because of it's performance while playing BF4. Why do you ask, are you thinking of cpu's that require more than 100 watts of power to run?
500 watts can mean anything if half the wattage is on the 5v rail and the other half is on the 12v rail its not a 500 watt PSU its a 250 watt PSU since almost everything in the PC uses 12v power and not much uses 5v and 3,3v power outside of drives RAM and USB

Also if its only rated for 500 watts at 30c its not a 500 watt PSU either since it wont be able to deliver its full wattage when its above 30c

If you want to upgrade to a new CPU the old PSU might not be good or powerful enough which is why i am asking to make sure you dont have to replace it
If you dont know what brand and wattage it is take a picture of the sticker on the side all the info about how much power on what rails are on the sticker

And last a new CPU with the same clock speed is going to be better than anything older with the same clock speed since there is a thing called instructions per cycle improvements or in other words a CPU with more instructions per cycle is going to be as fast as an older CPU even if the clock speed is lower

• Rep+
Reactions: littledonny

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
I would eBay a ryzen APU (first or second gen), cheap motherboard and ram… can definitely squeeze one out for <$300… especially if you only get 8gb of ram… depending on your luck, you MAY get 16gb…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If push comes to shove I could afford say a gigabyte p650b 650 watt bronze psu for $55 more.

instructions per cycle " huh cool read thank you.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
If push comes to shove I could afford say a gigabyte p650b 650 watt bronze psu for $55 more.

instructions per cycle " huh cool read thank you.
That PSU is trash one of them blew up in a review so you dont want one of those
Pretty much nothing in that price range is going to be good so dont bother

Like it was said above a first or second gen Ryzen is going to destory your old CPU even if the clock speed is lower due to much much higher IPC

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
CPU - 125$

Motherboard - 100$

RAM - 57$

PSU - 50$

Total - 332$

Note: Not sure about the PSU's quality. For 50 Canadian Dollar doubt you'll find something good.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
The Corsair VS is an old outdated group regulated series and besides that the voltage regulation sucks so does the build quality and the ripple suppression
Buy something decent like the CXM or dont bother at all so take those $50 and spend it on a better CPU motherboard or RAM

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
The Corsair VS is an old outdated group regulated series and besides that the voltage regulation sucks so does the build quality and the ripple suppression
Buy something decent like the CXM or dont bother at all so take those $50 and spend it on a better CPU motherboard or RAM
So op can reuse PSU?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
So op can reuse PSU?
I dont know he or she never answered my question

I asked for a picture of the sticker but there was never posted one all i know is its a Dell and the OEM for those is almost always Delta and if it is its far better than that Corsair VS which is not very good and worse than almost any Delta built PSU

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
I dont know he or she never answered my question

I asked for a picture of the sticker but there was never posted one all i know is its a Dell and the OEM for those is almost always Delta and if it is its far better than that Corsair VS which is not very good and worse than almost any Delta built PSU
If op can reuse the psu, then that would be great. For 300 Can$, best op can do is get a 4core8thread cpu for Battlefield. The gpu will be the bottleneck in this case.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You can reuse the PSU if it provides adequate wattage as to not shut down when you're gaming. However, being close to the limit of the PSU puts you at risk of those types of random shutdowns at max load.

Your old PSU could also blow up and take out other components with it. In that sense, it's a matter of risk that you have to assess based on your willingness to deal with the consequences that might occur.

If $300 is hard to get your hands on, then I personally would wait until I could afford an adequate PSU.

·
Registered
986 Posts
you might also be able to find a 3rd gen i5 on ebay that should slot right in. that would be the absolute cheapest way to do it. would probably net you the performance you need. I cant think it would cost more that 20-30 bucks.. you still wouldn't be able to overclock and I think most of them only turbo to about 3.7 i think it but it would get the job done over that I3.

US market but you get the point

A new cpu at the same core speed would absolutely be faster. In turn it would require almost all new parts from were you currently are...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I saw this ad in the local classifieds but I think the price is a bit of a rip off right?
I was thinking of offering much less. Any idea what price this should go for without video card and ssd? This is normal btw, most ad's that don't ask for $2000.00 their cpu's are around 10 years old. The owner also says the cpu turbo's to 3.6 ghz but in his screenshot it shows 4ghz. And on the amd website is says it turbo's to 4.2 ghz.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
Thanks guys. I saw this ad in the local classifieds but I think the price is a bit of a rip off right? View attachment 2518139 I was thinking of offering much less. Any idea what price this should go for without video card and ssd? This is normal btw, most ad's that don't ask for $2000.00 their cpu's are around 10 years old. The owner also says the cpu turbo's to 3.6 ghz but in his screenshot it shows 4ghz. And on the amd website is says it turbo's to 4.2 ghz.
That PC is in many ways worse than what you have now so no
That EVGA PSU in that system is a known fire hazard and the AMD FX CPU is ancient and a massive power hog and your 2100 is 2 years newer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, glad I didn't think of asking for less. I asked a seller for $120 i5 4670 in an hp tower with 8gb ram and a 240gb adata ssd. who knows, he is asking $150. Like I said earlier I can't seem to find cpu's that were made after 2013 for some reason. I did check out Elyminator post, awesome find. But I can't find a motherboard without costing too much.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thank you, glad I didn't think of asking for less. I asked a seller for $120 i5 4670 in an hp tower with 8gb ram and a 240gb adata ssd. who knows, he is asking $150. Like I said earlier I can't seem to find cpu's that were made after 2013 for some reason. I did check out Elyminator post, awesome find. But I can't find a motherboard without costing too much.
that CPU should work in your current system as long as the BIOS is up to date. As 3rd gen CPU's were backwards compatible with the 2nd gen boards.

May need to check documentation for the board

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Elyminator, I'm going to check that out. I found a HP 500-439 with a i5 4970 cpu 3.7 ghz turbo for $95 u.s dollar 1km away from me. Just too bad I can't overclock it, loved overclocking.

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
Thank you Elyminator, I'm going to check that out. I found a HP 500-439 with a i5 4970 cpu 3.7 ghz turbo for $95 u.s dollar 1km away from me. Just too bad I can't overclock it, loved overclocking.
If you meant i7 4790, then that is better than the i5 for Battlefield.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts