Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my specs:

Case Fractal Design Define R5 windowless with all fan slots filled with silent yet powerful fans
CPU: fx8350 cooled with a brand new thermaltake Water 3.0 extreme s outfitted with 2 noctua Nf-F12 pwm fans set in push position. Thermal paste used: Arctic Silver 5
PSU: Corsair RM850 watt fully modular 80 plus gold certified psu
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-x with 1,170 on the core and 1525mhz on the memory
Ram: 16 gb of Kingston Hyper-X Beast ddr3 1866
Motherboard: Asrock 990fx Fatility Killer
SSD: Two Sandisk ultra 2 ssds 1 120 gb for Windows 10 OS, the other a 480 gb for games
HDD: 1 Western Digital 1TB Black for backups

I'm trying to overclock my fx 8350, and I've ran into a huge problem. It isn't my CPU, but the motherboard, that I think is holding me back. It's an asrock 990fx killer that I bought last year, when I knew less about overclocking. Had I known about it's lack of LLC options in the Uefi, I would have gotten the Asus Sabertooth board instead. I moved from an Asus 970 board to this Asrock 990fx and I'm regretting that! You don't buy a 990fx board just for the hell of it.

My system can OC to a seemingly stable 4.6ghz in prime 95, running without error for 5 hours. I ran Firestrike and my physics score drove my overall score up to 9,753. It passed with flying colors. At 4.6ghz, idle temps sat at 33 degrees, not to bad. The problem lies in gaming applications. THE MOMENT I entered GTA V everything started hitching heavily, making the game unplayable. Fallout 4 had even more wild FPS fluctuations than normal, with it dropping into the teens numerous times. I tested many other games and had the same results. I'm sure I disabled every power saving feature in my bios. If I missed something, what power saving feature could cause the results I am seeing?

I even used Asrock's own auto overclocking feature in the bios, where everything was automatically tuned for me. At a measly 4.2ghz I had the same gaming results. So I set everything everything back to it's uefi defaults and it runs normally in games now. I have a feeling that the Asus M5a97 mobo I was using previously, would have overclocked better than this Asrock board. With everything back to stock, my cpu idles at 28 degrees, the acrtic silver 5 is still setting in, so I expect it to drop a few more degrees in the next few days.

I've contacted Asrock about this whole mess, and have yet to get an email from an actual person. I'm thinking of just getting an Asus Sabertooth board and being done with it. I bought this board, because of it's 8+2 power phase delivery. It seemed like a good value. My setup should be getting a stable 4.5ghz oc with no problems.

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,191 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adraps11 View Post

Here are my specs:

Case Fractal Design Define R5 windowless with all fan slots filled with silent yet powerful fans
CPU: fx8350 cooled with a brand new thermaltake Water 3.0 extreme s outfitted with 2 noctua Nf-F12 pwm fans set in push position. Thermal paste used: Arctic Silver 5
SSD: Two Sandisk ultra 2 ssds 1 120 gb for Windows 10 OS, the other a 480 gb for games

I'm trying to overclock my fx 8350, and I've ran into a huge problem. It isn't my CPU, but the motherboard, that I think is holding me back. It's an asrock 990fx killer that I bought last year, when I knew less about overclocking. Had I known about it's lack of LLC options in the Uefi, I would have gotten the Asus Sabertooth board instead. I moved from an Asus 970 board to this Asrock 990fx and I'm regretting that! You don't buy a 990fx board just for the hell of it.

My system can OC to a seemingly stable 4.6ghz in prime 95, running without error for 5 hours. I ran Firestrike and my physics score drove my overall score up to 9,753. It passed with flying colors. At 4.6ghz, idle temps sat at 33 degrees, not to bad. The problem lies in gaming applications. THE MOMENT I entered GTA V everything started hitching heavily, making the game unplayable. Fallout 4 had even more wild FPS fluctuations than normal, with it dropping into the teens numerous times. I tested many other games and had the same results. I'm sure I disabled every power saving feature in my bios. If I missed something, what power saving feature could cause the results I am seeing?

I even used Asrock's own auto overclocking feature in the bios, where everything was automatically tuned for me. At a measly 4.2ghz I had the same gaming results. So I set everything everything back to it's uefi defaults and it runs normally in games now. I have a feeling that the Asus M5a97 mobo I was using previously, would have overclocked better than this Asrock board. With everything back to stock, my cpu idles at 28 degrees, the acrtic silver 5 is still setting in, so I expect it to drop a few more degrees in the next few days.

I've contacted Asrock about this whole mess, and have yet to get an email from an actual person. I'm thinking of just getting an Asus Sabertooth board and being done with it. I bought this board, because of it's 8+2 power phase delivery. It seemed like a good value. My setup should be getting a stable 4.5ghz oc with no problems.
what test are you running with prime? NEVER use the auto overclock with the killer it is absolute garbage...what ram kit do you have and what settings is set to...really screenshots of the bios will help here...all the voltages and ram timings...I've used the killer for about a year and a half I'm sure I can help if you get me bios screen shots and the info requested
smile.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the Extreme6, which is..no joke.. the same board as the killer990fx but with blue heatsinks... anyways, any and all OC issues that i have had with the board have come from memory. If the setting are off, it doesnt matter how 'stable' things seem, id get blue screens, crashes and performance loss. If you have tweaked the ram (or the hypertransport) settings, set them back to stock and try from there (by stock i mean bios defaults, thr 1866 ram probably is set to 1600 at default). 4.2, for me, us easily hit with stock voltages on my 8320, and Id figure yours should be no different.

If everything is stock (beside cpu) and you sre gryting these issues, bios screens will definitely help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll set it to 4.5ghz run some tests and keep the memory at stock. I'll see how things go from there. That was one thing I didn't do. I also let the Ht link speeds rise with my overclock, I'll leave them at stock to. I'm new to all this, so I do hope it's just a newbie's mistake. An obsessive personality can be a good or bad thing depending on the situation!
biggrin.gif
If after doing all of that, I still have issues, I'll send up some bios screens. "Deep Breaths" lol

·
Свет
1,247 Posts
Quote:

Here are my specs:

OH the "good ol" 8350
rolleyes.gif

Brother I had that CPU for so long, overclocked it all the way to 4.82 Ghz. The problem with that CPU is that there is something buggy in it. I mean I had my GTA 5 crash so many times with lower clocks than I can remember. I literally bought 4790k because I was fed up with the crashes (as I was playing GTA 5 heavy then) and the fact that my GTX 980 was completely bottlenecked by my CPU, making my GPU run at around 20-30% instead of good 70-90% as it's supposed to.

Perhaps it's also lack of optimization for your CPU in the actual games. I had pretty unstable performance in several games, including Battlefield 4. As soon as I upgraded to i7 4790k and overclocked to 4.7 ghz, the problems disappeared.

Never was a fanboy of any brand, but 8350 disappointed me. Even with my Sabertooth 990fx Rev 2.0 board that was beast imo.

I have spent around 6 months trying every configuration on overclock, but just gave up. It was the learning experience for me though. While in 4790k settings I just bumped the voltage, changed multiplier, and that's it. Nothing else.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Something tells me this is a software issue. What graphic driver are you using? Have you tried reducing your GPU overclock back to stock?? You're 100% positive you completely wiped all the old mobo drivers?? Something similar happen to me and turns out it was a combination of corrupt graphics drivers, conflicting hardware drivers, and a large GPU overclock.

Luckily, the way I set up my computer, a reinstall of windows is a breeze as I don't store anything on the OS drive except the OS. Re-migration of files, paths, and games is painless with Steam and WinX.

If you have anything similar going on, I'd say try a fresh install of Windows and go from there.

+1 for no auto-tune/auto-OC. They tend to suck. Also, lack of LLC can be compensated for given your cooling can handle it. It's an 8+2 power phase board, yes?

·
Politically incorrect
9,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLifted View Post

OH the "good ol" 8350
rolleyes.gif

Brother I had that CPU for so long, overclocked it all the way to 4.82 Ghz. The problem with that CPU is that there is something buggy in it. I mean I had my GTA 5 crash so many times with lower clocks than I can remember. I literally bought 4790k because I was fed up with the crashes (as I was playing GTA 5 heavy then) and the fact that my GTX 980 was completely bottlenecked by my CPU, making my GPU run at around 20-30% instead of good 70-90% as it's supposed to.

Perhaps it's also lack of optimization for your CPU in the actual games. I had pretty unstable performance in several games, including Battlefield 4. As soon as I upgraded to i7 4790k and overclocked to 4.7 ghz, the problems disappeared.

Never was a fanboy of any brand, but 8350 disappointed me. Even with my Sabertooth 990fx Rev 2.0 board that was beast imo.

I have spent around 6 months trying every configuration on overclock, but just gave up. It was the learning experience for me though. While in 4790k settings I just bumped the voltage, changed multiplier, and that's it. Nothing else.
There is no such bug in the FX line. If there was it would have been reported by now. GTA V fully loads four of my cores and I don't have the problems you are talking about. It sounds like software incompatibilities or driver problems as my heavily OC'd 290 runs at max speed and full load. Just because you had problems with it doesn't mean the rest of us do and I'm very satisfied with my 8320 at 4.6 (current speed).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"BANG!" and the race has started!!!!! Here are some screenshots of my bios.

I know my photos are horrible, but a very interesting thing, is that I can run the more pure cpu stress test just fine for an hour or more.
Whenever I run the blend test that tests the ram out, I have core failure within a minute.
So here is what Open Hardware monitor was showing me during the hour long cpu stress test.

cpu voltage set to 1.35 volts
cpu vcore: between 1.296 and 1.304 with drops to 0.832
cpu core clock: 4500mhz with drops coinciding with the vcore drops. It would drop to 1400mhz then rise back to 4500mhz very quickly.
cpu temp during pure cpu stress test: 56-57 degrees max

I have the memory modules installed in the red slots on the mobo, if that makes any difference.
Also CPU thermal throttle is enabled.
I'm going out on a limb here, and saying it has something to do with my memory.........would switching the module placement to the white slots do anything?
I'll upload some pics of the rig itself.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Try dropping your HT speed. I know on mine, it did not like things even remotely above 2400... you might try a slight bump in voltage too.

EDIT: Also, set your offset voltage to something other than auto. +/- 50 or +/-100 seem to work really well... 150 overcompensates in my experience. This is pretty much the closest thing you get to LLC on this board

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Quote:

"BANG!" and the race has started!!!!! Here are some screenshots of my bios.

I know my photos are horrible, but a very interesting thing, is that I can run the more pure cpu stress test just fine for an hour or more.
Whenever I run the blend test that tests the ram out, I have core failure within a minute.
So here is what Open Hardware monitor was showing me during the hour long cpu stress test.

cpu voltage set to 1.35 volts
cpu vcore: between 1.296 and 1.304 with drops to 0.832
cpu core clock: 4500mhz with drops coinciding with the vcore drops. It would drop to 1400mhz then rise back to 4500mhz very quickly.
cpu temp during pure cpu stress test: 56-57 degrees max

I have the memory modules installed in the red slots on the mobo, if that makes any difference.
Also CPU thermal throttle is enabled.
I'm going out on a limb here, and saying it has something to do with my memory.........would switching the module placement to the white slots do anything?
I'll upload some pics of the rig itself.
your stutter is coming from the cpu throttling...two things you need on that board especially with water cooling...a socket fan and a vrm fan...likely you are throttling due to socket temps...this will cuss the massive frame drops you are seeing...you should be getting better temps from that kit as well probably too much or to little tim as well...I would not use offsets on this board...I noticed a huge increase in temps running an offset to hit a vcore instead of upping the vcore to match the offset voltage without using offsets... Three things I see immediately is bump your vram voltage to 1.55...and your vcore to 1.4...and finally cpu nb voltage to 1.20...and remove the offset...run the prime blend test and see if you throttle or fail cores... once you place fans in those two locations...your socket temps will likely drop 10 to 20c and likely you won't throttle anymore...not a joke but that how badly the sockets heat on these board...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just re-seated my cpu and used the credit card method to spread the paste evenly over the cpu. Before I had used the pea method. Now with a fresh coat it idles at 31 degrees at 4.5ghz as opposed to the 35-38 degrees I was getting before. I expect this to drop a few degrees after a night of prime 95. I did that last night to my previous coat and it went down by a few degrees. In the first couple of seatings, it was difficult for me with my large hands, to move the pump over the cpu without smearing it. This time I had some help and it sat down evenly.
I am going to figure something out with the socket and vrm cooling if I have to and it looks like I might. This re-seating may affect things. I'm going to adjust and move around some fans in the next few days. I'm also replacing my last coolermaster fan with a final noctua nf-p12 that will be able to go full blast on my side panel towards my gpu and mobo. I have the coolermaster jetflo set to level 2 in the bios, because it's so loud when set to anything higher.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Quote:

I just re-seated my cpu and used the credit card method to spread the paste evenly over the cpu. Before I had used the pea method. Now with a fresh coat it idles at 31 degrees at 4.5ghz as opposed to the 35-38 degrees I was getting before. I expect this to drop a few degrees after a night of prime 95. I did that last night to my previous coat and it went down by a few degrees. In the first couple of seatings, it was difficult for me with my large hands, to move the pump over the cpu without smearing it. This time I had some help and it sat down evenly.
I am going to figure something out with the socket and vrm cooling if I have to and it looks like I might. This re-seating may affect things. I'm going to adjust and move around some fans in the next few days. I'm also replacing my last coolermaster fan with a final noctua nf-p12 that will be able to go full blast on my side panel towards my gpu and mobo. I have the coolermaster jetflo set to level 2 in the bios, because it's so loud when set to anything higher.
I assure you this is throttling...due to cooling and or voltage...both are low for the droop this board exhibits...since there is no sensor for vrms you can bet they are screaming hot and socket on these boards without active cooling can be as much as 30c above the cores which with your core temp means motherboard throttle almost constantly...at minimum you need a fan blowing on socket...core temps at idle mean very little as there is no actual sensor it's an algorithm which isn't accurate until around 40c...the best way to do the fan is to offset it so the middle of the fan is between the socket and the vrm backplate and the blades are over the components to be cooled...I would retire that fan to socket duty blowing towards the board in the manner described above...then run blend and see if its still throttling...literally any fan will work fit these duties you are simply trying to disperse the heat from the socket and vrms...You should be able to see socket temps in hwinfo64 and let you know how much the fan is helping

·
Свет
1,247 Posts
I don't understand why are you arguing with me when you don't even have the same CPU as I had.

But okay, whatever you say. Re-read my post. I'm done with responding
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Quote:

I don't understand why are you arguing with me when you don't even have the same CPU as I had.

rolleyes.gif
this shows your true experience with the chip and vishera chips...the 8xxx and 9xxx series are literally the same chip same design same everything... The only difference is the binning of the silicon...you can't condemn the whole line and make blanket statements...there are literally thousands of fx users with no crashes playing gta 5...it simply was your setup...I've used this board on air and water with no problems....you didn't have the same board..there are way too many variables to say what was the weak point in your setup...but it could've been cooling, settings, software, or a bad component...or anything in between I play ask the latest games on both of my fx rigs with 0 issues aside from black ops 3 which isn't isolated to amd or fx with the issues...so again just because your setup did not work well or wasn't setup properly you can't condemn them ask unless you want to be foolish...well you get higher fps on your Intel rig...sure...Will it matter when it's post your refresh rate on both nope...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfknjadagr8 View Post

your stutter is coming from the cpu throttling...two things you need on that board especially with water cooling...a socket fan and a vrm fan...likely you are throttling due to socket temps...this will cuss the massive frame drops you are seeing...you should be getting better temps from that kit as well probably too much or to little tim as well...I would not use offsets on this board...I noticed a huge increase in temps running an offset to hit a vcore instead of upping the vcore to match the offset voltage without using offsets... Three things I see immediately is bump your vram voltage to 1.55...and your vcore to 1.4...and finally cpu nb voltage to 1.20...and remove the offset...run the prime blend test and see if you throttle or fail cores... once you place fans in those two locations...your socket temps will likely drop 10 to 20c and likely you won't throttle anymore...not a joke but that how badly the sockets heat on these board...
I re-seated the pump, using a credit card to evenly spread the thermal paste onto the cpu.
I clocked the cpu to 4.5ghz and set the voltage to 1.4
I removed any offset
Set cpu nb voltage to 1.20
set vram voltage to 1.55
I ran the prime 95 blend test for 3 hours without error.
I ran firestrike and got a score of 9,125
I ran the following games:

Shadow of mordor Ultra 60fps solid PERFECT

GTA V: Ultra-high I removed the enb I had in this before playing. It had some slight stuttering for the first few seconds, but I played it for 45 minutes and got 60fps out in the country and 55-60 fps in the city. PERFECT

Dead Island Riptide ultra solid 60fps throughout PERFECT

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ultra settings Solid 60 fps PERFECT

A heavily modified skyrim ultra 35-60 fps Like usual but felt snappier to play.

Project Cars Ultra-high 60 fps PERFECT

All games felt snappier to play and I couldn't feel happier!
I've been obsessing over this damn thing all day.
IT seems for now I have a stable 4.5 ghz overclock.
My temps are in the normal range for an overclocked 8350.

I'll start tinkering more in a few days!
It looks like some of you were obsessed to.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Quote:

I re-seated the pump, using a credit card to evenly spread the thermal paste onto the cpu.
I removed any offset
set vram voltage to 1.55

GTA V: Ultra-high I removed the enb I had in this before playing. It had some slight stuttering for the first few seconds, but I played it for 45 minutes and got 60fps out in the country and 55-60 fps in the city. PERFECT

rolleyes.gif
I wouldnt guarantee youre fully stable but it is a good indication that you likely are fairly stable..... i would still use the fan at least on the socket.... it will help tremendously with temperature of the socket and help the vrm some too..the reason i had you change all of the voltages i did is as follows... 1.4 is what the cpu defaults to when running stock with turbo enabled... the voltage you need to be stable at 4.5 varies by chip but 1.4 is a good starting point for that... secondly the ram voltage.. some ram kits wont run 100 percent stable at their rated voltages... and adding a small amount of voltage will compensate.. this also helps when you are overclocking the cpu as your vram voltage can droop just a little under heavy loads....the cpu/nb voltage increase was to ensure the communication between the cpu and the nb has enough voltage under load because sometimes when you overclock the cpu this voltage needs more to make the link between cpu imc and ram stable......the fact that you failed prime blend so quickly made me believe one or more of those voltages needed an increase...because blend tests cpu and ram together decently enough... for some reason the killer board when using offsets it creates way more heat than is needed...i noticed this when trying to get 4.8 stable on my first 8320... i maxed the voltage at 1.55 which translated to 1.41 under load for me (on my board i noticed a .07v drop from the setting in bios to idle in windows and another .07v drop from idle to load voltages at any voltage/clock) so i needed around 1.46 to be fully stable at 4.8 with that chip so i hit up some offsets to try and make up the droop distance... i noticed nearly a 10c difference in core temps while running offsets on the board... not sure why this happens perhaps it wasnt clean enough power deleiver or perhaps i was just pushing the board too hard...i am still running a +50mv offest on the board so its stable at 4.6 but it does run fairly hot even with backside fan and vrm fan... using a phanteks d12x cooler (not the greatest but not horrible)last time i checked it was running around 55c while gaming and 62 - 65c while stressing on the cores.... when you put a fan on the socket and vrms the goal is to get the socket temps within 5c above the core...

Good to see it seems to be working better....its a good thing you didnt throw it away because it wasnt performing
wink.gif

·
Politically incorrect
9,397 Posts
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
What are you talking about? All FX chips are the same, their only difference is binning.

·
Politically incorrect
9,397 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfknjadagr8 View Post

I removed any offset
set vram voltage to 1.55

rolleyes.gif
If you are experiencing any other instabilities set NB and HTT voltage to 1.25 or even 1.3.

I am always jealous when I see people using such little voltage. My 8320 needs near 1.5V just for 4.6 and I bet over 1.5 for 4.7, which is what the 9xxx's are rated for but we are talking a delicious 1.1GHz OC. Can't wait for the weather to get colder so I can push this a little harder.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

If you are experiencing any other instabilities set NB and HTT voltage to 1.25 or even 1.3.

I am always jealous when I see people using such little voltage. My 8320 needs near 1.5V just for 4.6 and I bet over 1.5 for 4.7, which is what the 9xxx's are rated for but we are talking a delicious 1.1GHz OC. Can't wait for the weather to get colder so I can push this a little harder.
My 9370 does 4.6GHZ on prime 95 1.306V,
I don't think you'll want 1.25V for NB, thats over volting, stock is 1.1625 for my fx4300 and 1.125for my 9370, both of those voltages can run my nb at 2400 prime stable
for ht voltage I think stock is 1.3V or 1.2V

From what I see, hours of gaming. Thats like fully stable I reckon
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 126 Posts