Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The highest I can get the FSB is about 344 with a 9x multiplier and run stable. I guess its a fair overclock but I was hoping for a bit more

I have have one of the earlier Q6600 chips with the G0 stepping so I was told it should be a good overclocker, though Im thinking my memory is holding me back. Ive tried raising the voltage to the cpu but that didnt seem to change anything.

I have 4 2gb modules of PC6400 DDR2 memory. When I try to raise the FSB higher it wont boot to windows and I sometimes get blue screens which sometimes mention memory errors

All settings are at auto in the Bios and I also turned off speedstep to keep the processor always running at max speed. The bios is reporting that the timings are 6-6-6-18 which seems not so good and Im not sure if thats correct for the ram or not?

Im not sure what settings I might be able to change to allow me to raise the FSB?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does the voltage to the memory need to be raised maybe? Its at 1.8v on auto right now in the bios

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You could try raising the northbridge voltage a tad if that's not too high already.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Your memory might be a bad overclocker. What are your timings? Volts? All set right? Increase the Nbvolt by 1-2 notch, see if it helps. Also give the Vcore 1 bump.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How far should I raise the voltages? For the memory at 1.8v would bringing it to say 2.1v be safe?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
While I agree you should get your voltages set in manually, it very well could be (and I think probably is) your memory. Not all memory is created equal.

It appears to me that your sticks perhaps simply refuse to clock passed the 667 area. This can actually be typical of some cheaper sets (even though they're supposedly rated for 800), & I've had the same issue myself in the past.

Anyway, having seen it myself, & judging by the clocks you're stating here, I'm 90% sure that's where you're hitting a wall. Especially if your bsods are indicating memory problems.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
344 FSB at mem setting of 2.0d (1:1) would run it at 688MHz, not even overclocked....

Doubt its the memory..

What are all your other settings?

If you try the UD3 post in the intel motherboard section and post this .txt file with all your setting I am sure we can max the OC on that setup...

see .txt below

CPU Voltage
CPU Term VOltage
MCH voltage
DRam Voltage (and exact model of the 4x2gb sticks you have)

·
Registered
553 Posts
FIRST - What vid is your processor? (Core Temp will show you that as well as your temperatures http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ )

SECOND - If you want to find your max CPU overclock, unlick your memory and run it at its stable default speed-timings-voltage

THIRD - Your heatsink can not handle a lot of heat so make sure you don't hit 90C on the cores, that will definitely ruin your computer

FOURTH - Post your BIOS settings, the voltages, frequencies, etc

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10acjed View Post
yo cant unlink the ram, its an intel chipset not nvidia.

His can run it at 1:1 which until he hits 400 FSB will be underclocking his ram..
Exactly. I'm just saying, that I've personally experienced "cheapo" ram, even being 'rated' for 800, refuse to move beyond the 667 area regardless of any settings that were thrown at it. It's by no means impossible.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok finally home and did some testing. I checked the vid and its at 1.2500v

I first swapped in 2x1gb of different PC6400 ram, and no luck- wouldnt boot past 345fsb.

So I went into the bios and looked at the screens some more. Not sure why I didnt realize it earlier, but there was a setting in the bios for the memory multiplier and it was set to auto. Well auto setting was multiplying the memory speed by THREE times the FSB so no wonder it wouldnt boot. I guess thats the standard setting when it detects 800mhz ram paired with a cpu that runs 266fsb stock so times three it comes out to almost 798mhz for the ram speed

Well I fixed the setting and set it to multiply by two and so far I have success with 8x multiplier and 400 fsb for 3.2ghz. Going to try it with the 9x multiplier next

Learn something new everyday

Thanks again for all the help on this

1 - 20 of 28 Posts