Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so due to my mothe board I cannot overclock my cpu. I have tried multpile times in the past but I just can't edit the settings at all with this mobo.
It's not just me that's had this issue many others have had the same problems in the past. The issue doesn't seem to be resolved any where that I can see. People have just recommended to get a new Mobo.
I recently got a 1060 and feel my cpu is really holding my system back from being good. It's always at 100% when gaming with ram at 8o%.

What would you recommend ?
I could get a new Mobo that would allow me to OC, cant really see any cheap options to upgrade other than this?
Alternatively - I could drop £300 on a new mobo/CPU and +8GB RAM, would this be worth it or is my PSU and RAM too outdated?

Specs :
Fractal Design Define R4
Intel Core i5-3570k
1060 3gb
'Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1
XFX 650W XXX Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
Corsair Memory Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB DDR3 1600
Corsair H100i Hydro CPU Cooler

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
You should be able to overclock on that chipset as I do. I would check for BIOS updates. Its not worth getting another board just for OCing though. 1155 is a pretty dead platform and isn't worth throwing and money at.

I would look to upgrade in the near future.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You should be able to overclock on that chipset as I do. I would check for BIOS updates. Its not worth getting another board just for OCing though. 1155 is a pretty dead platform and isn't worth throwing and money at.

Yeah its not possible as said. Me and others have tried this and many other things. Yeah I guess I will try and keep this system for a year and upgrade after.
Edit:
Would it be worth getting a whole new Mobo and cpu? Or is the system too old and just needs replacing

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Well now I'm curious: what happens when you try to change settings?

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Yeah...Does it even give you an option or is it greyed out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes grayed out it doest let you change it. Me and others have tried updating bios. And reversing it to old states and resetting it and messing with mobo battery...no luck

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Yes grayed out it doest let you change it. Me and others have tried updating bios. And reversing it to old states and resetting it and messing with mobo battery...no luck
Ever thought of software overclocking? Its not ideal but it might give you the edge you are looking for.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I was not really aware you could do this with a CPU? What software can enable this?

So could i drop £300 on a new mobo/CPU/RAM and keep running this system for another couple years do you think?
I'd rather do this than drop 1k on a whole new system. Plus i've just got a new 1060...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mobo+cpu+ram is a lot of the system

ASRock has their own OC tool for Windows or the Intel one works too. This should have been resolved right after purchase via a return/exchange.
I know but didnt try and OC until later down the line...

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MH £62
Gigabyte Intel B250M-DS3H Socket 1151 mATX Motherboard £55
Intel Core I5-7400 3.00GHZ Socket 1151 6MB £152
what about picking up these for less than £300, would this be a good option to give me another couple years on my system?

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts

what about picking up these for less than £300, would this be a good option to give me another couple years on my system?
That isn't bad.

But keep in mind you will need DDR4 not DDR3 RAM for that board/CPU.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts

If you don't want to overclock the CPU, sure.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Going from a 3570K to a 7400 is kind of silly if your reason for upgrading is because you want to OC, ignoring the fact the i5 7400 is 400mhz slower than your current CPU. If you're going to ditch your platform, go for an 8350K and a Z370 board. Would need DDR4, but at least it wouldn't be a downgrade and it'd leave room for OCing and the ability to upgrade to an i5 8600K/i7 8600K later without being stuck on a dead chipset.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Going from a 3570K to a 7400 is kind of silly if your reason for upgrading is because you want to OC. If you're going to ditch your platform, go for an 8305K and a Z370 board. Would need DDR4, but at least it wouldn't be a sidegrade and it'd leave room for OCing to an i5 8600K/i7 8600K later without being stuck on a dead chipset.
He's trying to overclock right now in order to get more performance and extend the life of his system due to that extra performance. However, since he can't, he is forced to upgrade.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
He's trying to overclock right now in order to get more performance and extend the life of his system due to that extra performance. However, since he can't, he is forced to upgrade.
Right. And ditching his current platform for an i5 7400 would be a downgrade and he still would not be able to OC.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right. And ditching his current platform for an i5 7400 would be a downgrade and he still would not be able to OC.
I do not care about OCing if i have to upgrade. All i want is to spend a minimum but extend the life of my pc...

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
ah, so could I go for a 6th gen i5 maybe? or?

I don't care about OCing just want 2 years more use out of this system without starting afresh
Your going to have to go 5th gen or older if you want to use DDR3 still. Nothing AMD that uses DDR3 will be worth it either for gaming since even your current chip beats the best FX chip.

Buying older tech is usually not worth it for CPUs/Motherboards. I would save for a Ryzen 1600 or an 8600k and just build a new system with your current GPU.

Your current system still isn't bad enough were you need an immediate upgrade. I would save and wait otherwise you will regret it later. Just personal experience here. :D

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
What? How can you call that a downgrade? Is it because he wouldn't be able to overclock?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
What? How can you call that a downgrade? Is it because he wouldn't be able to overclock?
is this a trick question or am I missing something?

3570K ... 4C/4T, 3.4 base and 3.8 boost.

7500 ... 4C/4T, 3.0 base, 3.5 boost.

at BEST, it's a sidegrade. I think you're overestimating the IPC improvements from generation to generation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts