Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Last night I brought my Canon G9 camera to a party in a apartment that has a lot of humidity in it. So I left it over there for a night and today when I started it up (the battery was dead , almost , had to recharge but i didnt) the objective came half open and then everything stopped working... I couldn't even enable the display view since it showed nothing on it... I removed the battery , put it back in.. same thing...
Went home , recharged battery for 10 mins , put it in and nothing , the objective was still half open so I was thinking it was the battery.
I've put the battery to charge for 4 hours now , and when I put the battery all the sudden I saw smoke coming out of the battery department so I quickly pulled it out...
What's going on?? Is my camera dead?? How could this happen?
 

·
d[ o_0 ]b
Joined
·
7,316 Posts
i dont think there is enough humidity in an apartment to cause a camera problems but you would not want to turn a camera on if it was wet or damp from lots of moisture.

did you see smoke come out of the battery compartment after putting the battery in or after turning it on again? i think something might be lost in translation possibly but the odds are that if it was smoke it might not be the battery specifically but just that the best place for the smoke to exit the camera was through that compartment. I am unfamiliar with electronics that start smoking but now is a good time to see if you have a warranty on the camera or give canon a call.

while this is a camera related issue this is less of a camera problem and more of an electronics problem. i would suggest if there is another section related to electronic issues on OCN to also post this there as well to reach out and get some extra help. I am sure that someone more knowledgeable with this type of issue will respond soon with some help so hang in there buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the smoke after i put the battery in and tried to turn it on , which it didn't , then i smelled smoke so I opened the battery department and saw smoke coming out of it...
Warranty is well , i dont know , i think it's gone since I bought the camera in USA and i'm living in croatia...
And if a mod could transfer the topic like Conspiracy said , that would be great!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,345 Posts
This is probably fine to stay here.

Unless you purchased additional warranty, your warranty is probably toast. Try the standard 'disassemble whatever you can and put the parts in a bag of rice' trick and let them dry out for the day. Then look in at the battery terminals inside the camera to see if there's any burning around them, etc. If you created a short with the battery + moisture, then the camera is probably toast (pun unfortunately unintentional)..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But how can that happen? Other devices such as mobile phones , routers are just fine in that apartment... Is it really because of the moisture? Or could it be that the battery is leaking or it's just bad?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,345 Posts
Think about it this way.. the battery compartment may not be water-tightly sealed, but it's in essence a big pocket. If the relative humidity was > 85%, then there's a chance for moisture to build up, etc. If you read the owner's manual for Canon cameras, their operational spec is stated to a certain temperature range (for most cameras) and up to (I'm going from memory but I think this is correct) 85%. If moisture had a chance to gather, it seems kind of natural to think that it would gather in a pocket like a battery compartment, etc.

Either that or somebody doens't like you and unknowingly flushed your camera.. let's go with that instead.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top