Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am at least 1-2 years out from a complete refresh so figured I would upgrade my primary storage for now. Since I can't do a M2 or PCI-E drive as my boot drive, I'm stuck with SATA for now. I'm currently set up with the following:

* Boot drive/main apps and 1 or 2 games = Samsung 840 Pro 256GB sata
* Storage drive and remainder of programs/games = WD Black 4TB

Once I do that complete refresh down the road, I figure I will have an M2 SSD or PCI-E SSD as my boot drive, and then use the new sata drive as a dedicated game drive. I cant decide whether I should do a 500gb or 1tb Samsung 860 EVO and would appreciate any suggestions.

For some reason I feel like 1tb is overkill.

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
I'd say get whatever m.2 drive you were going to get now and use it on a pci-e adapter. Then when your PC refresh comes around you can just plop it in the new m.2 slot and you're good to go. However, you won't be able to use it as a boot drive on the adapter. As someone who has gone from sata to m.2 ssd, there isn't a big just in speed, it's more about volume of storage since I went from 128GB to 500GB, and form factor of the m.2 drive is much smaller and requires no wires.

·
Overclocker in training
13,995 Posts
Hi,
Storage/ game drive I doubt one can overkill it in size
Only limit is funds :)
1tb minimum sounds like a perfect size for you plenty of space to grow and the evo is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'd say get whatever m.2 drive you were going to get now and use it on a pci-e adapter. Then when your PC refresh comes around you can just plop it in the new m.2 slot and you're good to go. However, you won't be able to use it as a boot drive on the adapter. As someone who has gone from sata to m.2 ssd, there isn't a big just in speed, it's more about volume of storage since I went from 128GB to 500GB, and form factor of the m.2 drive is much smaller and requires no wires.

sure you can use them as a boot drive with a PCI 3.0 x4 adapter. you just have to do some minor tweaking.

either 500GB or 1TB would be awesome. you sound like you will be doing the same thing I do on my PC lol -

(this is used as an example as this listing is from China, you can find other types in the US if that's where you're from)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-PCI-...717?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

the only thing you'll have to keep in mind is, if your board is PCI x4 2.0 and not 3.0, you wont get the full 1Gb or 2Gb read / write speeds as it offers. those specs will be cut in half until you get either;

A: a board that has the PCI 3.0 x4

or

B: has an m.2 slot actually on the board itself.

EDIT:

This post helped me out tremendously out as far as understanding how to boot from PCI-e to m.2.

I personally have not attempted it yet. However, these guys are great help.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1599519-boot-pci-e-ssd-sabertooth-x58.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mhmm hadn't thought about using it as a non boot drive for now with an adapter. The m.2 and sata 860 EVO are the same prices so thats an interesting idea.

Hi,
Storage/ game drive I doubt one can overkill it in size
Only limit is funds :)
1tb minimum sounds like a perfect size for you plenty of space to grow and the evo is reasonable.
Very true, I dont think anyone has ever wished for less storage in the future

·
Overclocker in training
13,995 Posts
Hi,
Indeed
FWIW I use 850 evo 500gb's and yes I wished I had enough funds back then to get 1tb :D
Best thing about ssd's is they take up little space :thumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sure you can use them as a boot drive with a PCI 3.0 x4 adapter. you just have to do some minor tweaking.

either 500GB or 1TB would be awesome. you sound like you will be doing the same thing I do on my PC lol -

(this is used as an example as this listing is from China, you can find other types in the US if that's where you're from)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-PCI-...717?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

the only thing you'll have to keep in mind is, if your board is PCI x4 2.0 and not 3.0, you wont get the full 1Gb or 2Gb read / write speeds as it offers. those specs will be cut in half until you get either;

A: a board that has the PCI 3.0 x4

or

B: has an m.2 slot actually on the board itself.

EDIT:

This post helped me out tremendously out as far as understanding how to boot from PCI-e to m.2.

I personally have not attempted it yet. However, these guys are great help.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1599519-boot-pci-e-ssd-sabertooth-x58.html
I appreciate all the info but now that I look into it, I don't know how well a PCIe adapter will work with my mobo.

I have 2 PCIe 3.0 slots (x16 and x8) that are on the same bus. Since my GPU (GTX 1070) is in the x16 slot, I don't want to share bandwidth between a hungry GPU and SSD.

My other PCIe slots are all 2.0.

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
I appreciate all the info but now that I look into it, I don't know how well a PCIe adapter will work with my mobo.

I have 2 PCIe 3.0 slots (x16 and x8) that are on the same bus. Since my GPU (GTX 1070) is in the x16 slot, I don't want to share bandwidth between a hungry GPU and SSD.

My other PCIe slots are all 2.0.
You'll still want to use the 3.0 slot, there won't be performance hit on your GPU.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's OK - i read into it ALOT and just saving my pennies to jump ship on this.

But to answer your question - you will see a 50% decrease if you put any 3.0 x4 adapter in a pci 2.0 slot but not if you use a PCI- 3.0 card in another slot of the same specs.

for example:

If you use a PCI-e 3.0 x8 slot and put in the PCI-e 3.0 x4 card, it will automatically dumb it down to the full bandwitch of the card itself. There for you wont lose any bandwidth for the m.2 SSD to run optimal.

aka - the max you can run is x8 speed in that slot. you can put a x1 x4 or x8 in a x8 slot.

Also, you're only using 4 PCI-e lanes from the CPU and will not effect your GPU. you'll have to manually set it in your BIOS to -

PCI-e x16 slot 0 (slot your GPU is in)

PCI-e x8 slot 1 (or whatever your x8 slot is)

you'll have no problem with performance GPU wise or SSD wise, I promise

you'll see a graph that will show you specs for how a PCI-e slot operates bandwidth wise in this link below. this will answer your questions 100% to give you a better understanding -

https://serverfault.com/questions/1...dth-and-form-factor-for-pcie-x1-x4-x8-and-x16

1 - 9 of 9 Posts