Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have the 22" LG W2284F @1680x1050, have had it for about 2-3 years, I think, and I really like it. Haven't noticed any problems with colors or anything, though I don't really have any comparison since this is my first screen. Now I'm thinking about getting a bigger screen, 24", 1920x1080. I'd be using this old screen as a secondary.

I've been looking at some stores here, and I've decided on a budget of about 220, maybe 230€ max. Converted to USD that's about 280$, but they don't really convert the prices of any hardware etc. so it would still be about 230$.

And now I ran into a problem. When I started narrowing down my search and reading reviews, I noticed that there's barely ANY reviews for the cheaper monitors. Everything's at least 250$, even that's a bit hard to find...

First, is there any brand I shouldn't even consider? I've read many good things about Samsung and Asus, and that I should avoid LG, BenQ and Acer if I can.

While making the list of possible new monitors for myself, I came across the 159€ Acer's G245HQbid, or G245HQB or G245HAbid or whatever it is... Are they the same? (it's the 60hz one) While I'm not expecting it to be the highest quality since it's one of the cheapest I could find, I'd be really tempted to buy it since it's so cheap.
Then there's another cheap one, the 158€ BenQ G2420HDBE, and then it starts going up with 189€ Asus VE247H, 199€ Samsung S24A350H, 199€ Asus VS248H, 199€ Asus VH248H, (are they the same?) 214€ BenQ GL2440HM. That's about the limit for my spenable money, it's not a hard cap by any means, but it'd hurt if it cost more than that. Which one of those would be my best choice? Are the more expensive ones worth the little extra €€€ when it comes to quality and such? I don't do any graphics design etc. which is why the quality of the screen isn't the only deciding factor, but it would be nice not to have a black and white screen with half the pixels dead...

I've had trouble finding any real reviews for any of those, I've only found some crappy, very vague user review/experiences on newegg etc. that don't really say much, except for the VE247 and 8H, which is why I'm asking here. Are there any websites that actually do reviews for the 'budget' screens that might not get the best reviews?

·
Registered
914 Posts
First I must advise against running two different resolution screens. This puts increased strain on the GPU making it run hotter and often yeilds lower FPS in games. I have both ASUS and Samsung monitors and they work quite well. I do not know of any sites that do many monitor reviews especially budget models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm aware of the fact that having 2 different resolution monitors isn't the best choice, but that'll be what I'm going with if/until I can sell my old monitor and/or afford another 1920x1080. Assuming the world hasn't moved 2560x1600 by then...

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.