Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to start a new built and am stuck between the 2 choices. I can get them for almost the same price. Slightly used 690 for $679
(has warranty remaining)or new PNY 780 for $600 with lifetime warranty. I will be using mostly for gaming on 27" monitor. CPU will most likely be either 4670k or 3930k can't decide on that either.

·
Disgruntled Lurker
691 Posts
Oh, and regarding the CPUs, I'd say neither. I'd go with a 4770K. I love the 3930K but it just doesn't make sense for gaming regarding the cost/performance ratio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrulyCactus View Post

Oh, and regarding the CPUs, I'd say neither. I'd go with a 4770K. I love the 3930K but it just doesn't make sense for gaming regarding the cost/performance ratio.
Isn't the hyper threading on the 4770k is the only difference and is pointless for gaming ?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was between the 2 as well for the build I just made today. I went with the 780. A 690 is faster yes but it's limited by the 2gb vram and also has a weak upgrade path if you wanted to go sli in the future.

Oh I'd grab the 4770k as well, which I personally did. Hyperthreading is starting to be useful in games, just look at crysis3. The up-coming consoles will be using more than 4 cores as well so hyperthreading may mean more in the future. If the extra money breaks the bank then don't worry about it, they are close to equal as far as today goes.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Not pointless anymore.Once games start to utilize 8 cores/threads,you'll see around 5-10fps better experience than with an i5.

·
Disgruntled Lurker
691 Posts
Yes, the 690 is technically faster. However, you're getting a lifetime warranty with the 780, they have lower power requirements, takes up less space, down the road it will be much easier to buy another 780 to SLI later, much less heat output, no need to worry about SLI support/etc AND lots of people have had great overclocking results with the 780. It's just a more well-rounded card IMO.

What resolution will you be gaming at?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I go the 4770k and 780 would i be able to max out games like crysis 3 and metro last night? I also have an option of getting 3960x for $500. Not sure if worth it though(1st world problems ha). Sorry If I come off a little a noobish been out of PC building for almost a year(last build was 3930k/7970 but sold it)

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
I would favor GTX780 over GTX690. If you plan to upgrade in the next year or sow getting the best performance now could be a GTX690. If you plan to keep the GPU for longer a second GTX780 would give you better results once its cheap.

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts

·
Disgruntled Lurker
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post

So if I go the 4770k and 780 would i be able to max out games like crysis 3 and metro last night? I also have an option of getting 3960x for $500. Not sure if worth it though(1st world problems ha). Sorry If I come off a little a noobish been out of PC building for almost a year(last build was 3930k/7970 but sold it)
If I were you, I'd take that extra money you were planning on spending on the 3930K and maybe spend it towards a very nice WC setup so you can overclock the CPU and GPU to extract the most performance possible.

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Id go with the 780. The 690 traps you in the 2GB VRAM range and you cant do anything more than 2 way sli on 690

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
690. In fact I prefer a 690 over titan on 1440 p, or a single 27inch 1080p 120hz I find that Titan does not have enough Oomph unless Sli. Don't have a 780 yet, so can't speak to it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just got my hands on a gtx 690 at 1600p and it is just a monster. I chose to get it cause I went itx and I got a good deal on it.

·
Premium Member
8,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime850 View Post

I just got my hands on a gtx 690 at 1600p and it is just a monster. I chose to get it cause I went itx and I got a good deal on it.
too bad with that 2GB VRAM @ 1600p your at it's limits....
I bet any level of AA kills your FPS..

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Is a lot of AA needed at 1600p? Even a single Titan can't max all games at that resolution and maintain min 60 fps at all times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts