Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helpz...

My current PC system:
i7 970
12gb ram
gtx470

It's really showing it's age as I can barely play a game without having it at medium setting @ 1440p(first world problems)
The only console I have currently is the PS3. Not a big fan of playing 1st person on console because I prefer a good mouse and keyboard but I do love playing 3rd person games like uncharted, infamous, metal gear solid and tlou.

And the last choice is the Wii U. At first I wasn't even considering this console but thinking back. I've always had tons of fun playing nintendo games. And there systems, especially now, have more exclusives. The zelda, star fox, smash bros, mario kart... makes it really tempting.

I guess right now i'm just trying to get some ideas and suggestions. I know I can get a ps4 at target for $460(after tax) with a free game and $20 psn card. Would love to play GTA V but then again this game is coming to pc next month.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Your i7 is still a beast especially when overclocked. I would pick up a gtx 970 and go from there.

• Rep+
Reactions: semajha

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Agree with the 970. PC > single-purpose hardware anyways, and the experience will be better. Only if you are really dying for Wii-U exclusives does that make any sense, and I cant think of a single reason to get a PS4.

You're on a PC enthusiast forum by the way, so I'd expect a lot of sentiment echoing my own
tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I also have a i7 970 6 core with 24 gigs of memory, I bought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 Oct 6 and it's a beast.
all my games run perfect at max settings, I have my cpu at 3.8ghz. your sis rig shows a i7 930, is that a different system?
also the G1 Gaming gpu overclocks very good, I can get it to 1605mhz but I run it at 1568mhz as 1 of my games will
cause the gpu driver to TDR at the 1605mhz. it's my favorite game too, go figure.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Get the 970. Your system is still really fast and it'd be a shame to get such a weak system such as the Ps4 when you have what you have.

• Rep+
Reactions: semajha

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal View Post

If we're gonna start making suggestions, I would say wait for GM200/ Fiji XT/ Bermuda XT
it could be but he can if he can wait more than 3 months but for 1440 a 970 costs 100 more and does the same fps that the 290 can do.i dont think that for the people makes sense to pay more for the same in performance

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only problem is i can't get a stable overclock on this darn cpu...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Boe View Post

Your i7 is still a beast especially when overclocked. I would pick up a gtx 970 and go from there.
**CORRECTION** I have an i7 930! I must have thought the gtx 970 and made a typo... ahem. Sorry guys. And there's no way for me to overclock this CPU.. I've tried everything and gave up. So please keep in mind I'll be running my CPU and ram stock.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Agree with the 970. PC > single-purpose hardware anyways, and the experience will be better. Only if you are really dying for Wii-U exclusives does that make any sense, and I cant think of a single reason to get a PS4.

You're on a PC enthusiast forum by the way, so I'd expect a lot of sentiment echoing my own
tongue.gif
Thanks for the input. I was going to say the new Silent Hill would be a good reason but Kojima announced that won't be out until 2016... and yeah, I figured this forum would have a biased towards PCs lol. Thought I'd still try though as I know a few people on this board play on multiple platforms.
Quote:
Appreciate that suggestion. It's nice to go something bang for the buck i still keep hearing about amd's terrible service and driver support.
Quote:

If we're gonna start making suggestions, I would say wait for GM200/ Fiji XT/ Bermuda XT
did a quick search on the gm200.. nearly 50% faster than a titan? i will consider waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post

From what you have listed I would advise you getting a GTX 970. You might also want to consider overclocking your CPU.
it was a 930.. i don't know what i was thinking when i typed in 970.. big difference. and I can't get a stable overclock on this system.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Those who tellabout bad drivers and support are incompatible plataforms or outdated opinions nowadays amd is as good as nvidia if not better(software and gpu scaling wise)

And if you wait minimum can be 2months

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

I also have a i7 970 6 core with 24 gigs of memory, I bought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 Oct 6 and it's a beast.
all my games run perfect at max settings, I have my cpu at 3.8ghz. your sis rig shows a i7 930, is that a different system?
also the G1 Gaming gpu overclocks very good, I can get it to 1605mhz but I run it at 1568mhz as 1 of my games will
cause the gpu driver to TDR at the 1605mhz. it's my favorite game too, go figure.

thanks for the sharing! pretty beastily system but why so much ram? video editing?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Those who tellabout bad drivers and support are incompatible plataforms or outdated opinions nowadays amd is as good as nvidia if not better(software and gpu scaling wise)

And if you wait minimum can be 2months
i did some search on your other post and links and that 290x card does seem to be very good. if it's seriously 100 bucks less than that's a no brainer. back then when i built my computer, my preference was for nvidia because of cuda/gpu acceleration support.(video editing) While I still would like to edit videos in the future, realistically I probably won't. Thanks again for the input. I'll be sure to rep all you guys.

I guess the ps4 is more of an impulse buy. i'm aware that it doesn't have many games for it right now but for some reason I just want one, especially after seeing the target deal. But you guys are right, thank you. I just needed some extra opinions to help make up my mind. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 290x card, so if anyone happens to find any deals please share!

:edit:

I think i'll also opt out of waiting. Minimum is 2-3 months, in addition to a few more months if I want the price to be the same as these current gen cards.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
If you want to check if you can continue using that editing app check if it does support opencl the 290 can use opencl and be on par wih CUDA`s 780ti or a bit better

Btw now the amd card(who knows in the future ,but in the last year) amd has been including 3 free games for their cards(the 290 could get 3+ civ beyond earth) if the promo hasnt ended but the games an extra in the card.the nvidia cards have 1 of the 3 recent released ubisofr games(which are either a port from console of highly biased on nvidia due to the dirt "GameWorks")

Check this thread on the 2015 gpus but they can be false(or partially false)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1530716/chiphell-wccftech-nvidia-gm200-titan-2-amd-fiji-380x-and-bermuda-390x-benchmarks-leaked

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
If you're into mainstream AAA titles and absolutely must have things running maxed or close to max, get the 970, if you honestly just play games to see how pretty they are for a few minutes and then turn them off (I'm so guilty of that) then get a Wii U if you have company over frequently,or a PS4 if you like sony exclusives.

I've limited my gaming to DoTA and smash bros with friends, so I didn't want a ps4 and I didn't need a 970 or 290x. I'm probably gonna pick up a second hand 290x if the price is right and that should hold me out for the next 2 or so years. I realized that even running games on medium at 1080p, they still look leagues better than consoles to begin with.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow, i've been really out the loop. just checked the adobe website and the mercury engine on adobe premiere does support opencl now. that's freakin' terrific.

i guess by 100 dollar difference you mean for the 256bit version?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom55520 View Post

If you're into mainstream AAA titles and absolutely must have things running maxed or close to max, get the 970, if you honestly just play games to see how pretty they are for a few minutes and then turn them off (I'm so guilty of that) then get a Wii U if you have company over frequently,or a PS4 if you like sony exclusives.

I've limited my gaming to DoTA and smash bros with friends, so I didn't want a ps4 and I didn't need a 970 or 290x. I'm probably gonna pick up a second hand 290x if the price is right and that should hold me out for the next 2 or so years. I realized that even running games on medium at 1080p, they still look leagues better than consoles to begin with.
hey thanks for the chiming in. i've made up my mind on a gpu. most likely a r9 290.

·
Banned
6,632 Posts
Yeah I would recommend getting an R9 290X over a 970 as well. Its cheaper and provides pretty much the same performance. Beasty GPU, you will be able to play the latest titles without any issues what so ever.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semajha View Post

thanks for the sharing! pretty beastily system but why so much ram? video editing?
I do lot's of photo editing and the camera I have creates large files, after just editing 10 pictures my program warns of low memory and I have to stop
and save the 10 photos before I can continue. my next system I will have 32gig of memory.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts