Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrights. I have a new table coming in and it will (finally) have enough space for my three E2290 LG monitors. Atm I have a single msi 6970 lightening GPU, and that's definitely not enough for eyefinity (1080pX3).

My cpu is the 3930k (waiting on DAT 8 CORE), and my motherboard is the Asus sabertooth x79, which means that I have two pcie 16x slots, and one pcie 8x slot.

The issue I have is that the spacing on the slots is terrible.

16X
1X
1X
16X
PCI
8X

If I get three-way crossfire x, my middle GPU will have no room to breathe, and I'm afraid I'll have temperature issues.

My case is the Haf X so I'll have no problems having a dual slot GPU on the last 8x slot.

Which route do you think I should go?

Btw, the only 6970's available on amazon (USA one) is the sapphire (for a decent cost) with the reference cooler. Selling my 6970 is not an option as I live in the middle east, and nobody here plays PC games. My budget is like $600 , however I can push it to 800 bucks. If I get the 6990 I'll be getting the arctic custom cooler for it as the reference cooler is too hot for my liking.

Edit: I can sell the lightening 6970, the only price I've found for it is like $130 which is a SCAM and I am not comfortable with that...

Now with the 7970's. I'm itching to upgrade so I can't wait for the 7970 lightening version, so which would be better. The reference version, or the xfx double dissipation black edition?

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Also with the 7970's, I can get one in 8 days, and another next month, but from what I see in benchmarks, I can play in eyefinity with one gpu on medium BF:3 settings.

Thanks for reading guys
smile.gif

Oh another edit: If I get a reference cooler on the 6970/7970, I'll be getting a sound card on the free 1x slot for my speakers, as the constant crackling and popping is driving me insane
tongue.gif
. If I get a better cooler (dual fan) I'll just get a USB sound-card.

·
Hacktun3d
1,800 Posts
I just got rid of my Tri-fire 6990/50 setup for an XFX Black Edition 7970 and it was absolutely worth it. I only play in Eyefinity and it's 100% smoother and my fps isn't down by much. 7970 = EYEFINITY
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: JassimH

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks! Any numbers (fps differences) and what settings are you running on?

I'll go with a 7970 twin frozr 3. In the meantime I'll migrate my OS to an SSD and set up raid on My HDD's for games/media. Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just switched from dual 6970s to 7970s and I must say that the 7970s are worth it all the way. Went from 32 fps in a tri-monitor mmo to 60 or so. And thats with currwnt beta drivers!

• Rep+
Reactions: JassimH

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys! I've decided to oc my 6970 to hell, going for 1200mhz on air
biggrin.gif
. Currently at 1.2v and 975 core. Gonna stick with eyefinity on mediumish settings, and wait for the twin frozr 3 7970. When I get it, I'll sell this 6970 for $130 locally (a scam indeed but w/e), and then wait another month and buy another 7970
smile.gif
. Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.