Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrights. I have a new table coming in and it will (finally) have enough space for my three E2290 LG monitors. Atm I have a single msi 6970 lightening GPU, and that's definitely not enough for eyefinity (1080pX3).

My cpu is the 3930k (waiting on DAT 8 CORE), and my motherboard is the Asus sabertooth x79, which means that I have two pcie 16x slots, and one pcie 8x slot.

The issue I have is that the spacing on the slots is terrible.

16X
1X
1X
16X
PCI
8X

If I get three-way crossfire x, my middle GPU will have no room to breathe, and I'm afraid I'll have temperature issues.

My case is the Haf X so I'll have no problems having a dual slot GPU on the last 8x slot.

Which route do you think I should go?

Btw, the only 6970's available on amazon (USA one) is the sapphire (for a decent cost) with the reference cooler. Selling my 6970 is not an option as I live in the middle east, and nobody here plays PC games. My budget is like $600 , however I can push it to 800 bucks. If I get the 6990 I'll be getting the arctic custom cooler for it as the reference cooler is too hot for my liking.

Edit: I can sell the lightening 6970, the only price I've found for it is like $130 which is a SCAM and I am not comfortable with that...

Now with the 7970's. I'm itching to upgrade so I can't wait for the 7970 lightening version, so which would be better. The reference version, or the xfx double dissipation black edition?

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Also with the 7970's, I can get one in 8 days, and another next month, but from what I see in benchmarks, I can play in eyefinity with one gpu on medium BF:3 settings.

Thanks for reading guys
smile.gif

Oh another edit: If I get a reference cooler on the 6970/7970, I'll be getting a sound card on the free 1x slot for my speakers, as the constant crackling and popping is driving me insane
tongue.gif
. If I get a better cooler (dual fan) I'll just get a USB sound-card.

·
Hacktun3d
1,799 Posts
I just got rid of my Tri-fire 6990/50 setup for an XFX Black Edition 7970 and it was absolutely worth it. I only play in Eyefinity and it's 100% smoother and my fps isn't down by much. 7970 = EYEFINITY
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: JassimH

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks! Any numbers (fps differences) and what settings are you running on?

I'll go with a 7970 twin frozr 3. In the meantime I'll migrate my OS to an SSD and set up raid on My HDD's for games/media. Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
120 Posts
Getting rid of my 6970 trifire too. Going to get one 7970 now and another later. With 3x6970 eyefinity at 1080p was stuttering like crazy, so definitely get 7970s.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just switched from dual 6970s to 7970s and I must say that the 7970s are worth it all the way. Went from 32 fps in a tri-monitor mmo to 60 or so. And thats with currwnt beta drivers!

• Rep+
Reactions: JassimH

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys! I've decided to oc my 6970 to hell, going for 1200mhz on air
biggrin.gif
. Currently at 1.2v and 975 core. Gonna stick with eyefinity on mediumish settings, and wait for the twin frozr 3 7970. When I get it, I'll sell this 6970 for $130 locally (a scam indeed but w/e), and then wait another month and buy another 7970
smile.gif
. Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts