Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I installed Windows 7 on a separate partition of my main hard drive. I played with it for awhile and then decided to get rid of it. I deleted the partition and downloaded Easy BCD and used the option to delete the vista boot loader. When I did this I could not boot into XP. I kept getting a read error. This did not go away until I reinstalled Win7. After I reinstalled I used Easy BCD and deleted Win7 boot option and made the timeout 1sec and deleted that partition again. It works but I would rather just use the XP boot loader and delete the Vista Boot loader.

Anyone know why it did not work the first time? Anyone know how to get back to XP loader? Also, if XP is the only OS why would it still give me an option? Why wouldn’t it just load that one automatically since it’s the only one?

Thanks

Ljapilot

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an OEM xp disk no recovery option. Trying to find just a Media Center Disk for cheap with no luck so far.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soulsonicforce View Post
Try booting into a windows XP install disk, going to the recovery terminal, and typing fixmbr into the terminal, this worked for me when I uninstalled ubuntu and was unable to remove the bootloader to get into vista.
Clear, concise, accurate and helpful!
OCN posts don't get any better than that one!!
+1
Cheers

(Myself, on the other hand...I usually completely botch the second bit..and look I'm even doing it here....
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG )

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did you say that you were unable to get into the recovery terminal with your xp disk? This disk does not say press something to install XP, press something else for something else, and press r to go into recovery terminal. If not, then try and borrow a boot disk from a friend. Any windows install disk will works since like 3.1 i think, so it doesent matter how old. Personally, i used a win 2000 to fix mine. If you cant find one, i am currently looking for a free, legal alternative, i will let you know if i find one. I think in this case, it might also be kosher to torrent a copy of windows, as long as you delete it when your done, no harm no foul right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soulsonicforce thanks for all the info. I think I am just going to do a fresh install of XP. Its been about a year so its time. I hate doing it so I keep putting it off until I screw it up like this hehehe.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah do you know why deleting the vista bootloader would have screwed things up?? I thought it would have went back to the xp loader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts