Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I just can't get even 100 hz boost on my FX-6300 - it won't boot even if I change the voltage to a higher value. Tried reseting the bios by removing the jumper, it didn't work. Then I removed the CMOS battery and the bios didn't reset at all (no clue why). What's wrong?

My MB is ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 , I got an aftermarket cooler -> 30 celsius degrees in 100% load, that's why I want to OC the hell out of it and that's why I bought the aftermarket cooler, but somehow I can't even get 3.6 GHz.. what's wrong guys? Btw, after I change the settings in bios and the pc shuts down and then starts again (which is normal from what I heard), I get this message: "The system failed to boot several times before. You may press f2 or DEL to enter setup to reconfigure your system. Or BIOS will continue to boot after _ seconds."

Thanks a lot!

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Your motherboard isn't really set up to do much overclocking.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
I bet that it will throttle at stock settings, much less going above them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn it. but somehow this motherboard can run fx-8350 which has 4 GHz. how is this possible?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwknx View Post

As the title says, I just can't get even 100 hz boost on my FX-6300 - it won't boot even if I change the voltage to a higher value. Tried reseting the bios by removing the jumper, it didn't work. Then I removed the CMOS battery and the bios didn't reset at all (no clue why). What's wrong?

My MB is ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 , I got an aftermarket cooler -> 30 celsius degrees in 100% load, that's why I want to OC the hell out of it and that's why I bought the aftermarket cooler, but somehow I can't even get 3.6 GHz.. what's wrong guys? Btw, after I change the settings in bios and the pc shuts down and then starts again (which is normal from what I heard), I get this message: "The system failed to boot several times before. You may press f2 or DEL to enter setup to reconfigure your system. Or BIOS will continue to boot after _ seconds."

Thanks a lot!
Hello. I bought 2 of these motherboards and gifted them to a friend together with my old 1090T and i will have to bring you the bad news...

1) There is NO WAY that you have only 30C at 100% load. If you do, you most probably throttle (CPU frequency drops to 1400Mhz) due to VRM overheating.

2) There is NO WAY that you will ever "OC the hell out of it" on that motherboard. With the 1090T at stock and undervolted, last summer in Prime, the CPU temp hit something like 68-69C. The motherboard lacks VRM heatsink.

3) When you remove the battery, you must also disconnect the PSU power cable or shut down the PSU from the button and even better if afterwards you press the power button a couple of times (to discharge the capacitors).

4) The "system failed" message is shown when you have bad BIOS settings.

5) This is a budget motherboard, with peculiar features (support for legacy devices), that is made for office use and especially for people who want "old" connectors and newer too on the same board. Not overclocking/gaming. If you want to overclock, you will have to buy a motherboard with at least 6+2, better if 8+2 phases. The 980DE is 4+1 and without VRM heatsink. Plus the mosfets are "APEC", not the best around. The reason i gave him 2 motherboards, is exactly because i don't trust its longevity, but since he is a low demand users, i think it will be fine (and it is). With a spare, it will keep him up and running for years. If i knew he was gamer or overclockers, i would have never given him this model.

6) If i were you, i 'd run at stock speed and undervolted (most FX can do 3.5Ghz at around 1.18v effective voltage inside Windows under full load).

·
486DX2 66
3,775 Posts
What is your power supply and is your ram stock or overclocked. What software are you using to get this 30C readout? Is the CPU throttled when you see that? How hot is the VRM?

I just googled the board and took a glance at the VRM on it, I would not run above stock voltage on this thing with a gun to my head. My first suggestion at the least is to get yourself a fan blowing directly over that bare VRM (the top left side of your board). Set everything back to stock and stress the PC and see if that area of the board is getting hot (which I bet it is).

If it has the proper code in the bios it can run an 8350.. that doesn't mean those VRMs won't get smoldering hot and break if they can even handle 125 watts. You might be able to get a small OC at stock voltage or slightly higher, is this a multiplier overclock you're attempting? What is the CPU vcore currently set to? Try dropping your ram down to 1333 while you work on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) http://i.imgur.com/zaAyqIB.png - using prime95's blend test.
2) mine also hit 69C with the last cooler when on full load, now as you can see I only get around 30C.
3) well it doesn't matter anymore I guess since I still reseted the bios via jumper.
4) bad settings? well yeah, but 100 MHz more doesn't seem like bad settings for me at all..
5) I know it's a budget motherboard, but I just can't believe I can't get at least 4 GHz on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

What is your power supply and is your ram stock or overclocked. What software are you using to get this 30C readout? Is the CPU throttled when you see that? How hot is the VRM?

I just googled the board and took a glance at the VRM on it, I would not run above stock voltage on this thing with a gun to my head. My first suggestion at the least is to get yourself a fan blowing directly over that bare VRM (the top left side of your board). Set everything back to stuck and stress the PC and see if that area of the board is getting hot (which I bet it is).

If it has the proper code in the bios it can run an 8350.. that doesn't mean those VRMs won't get smoldering hot and break if they can even handle 125 watts. You might be able to get a small OC at stock voltage or slightly higher, is this a multiplier overclock you're attempting? What is the CPU vcore currently set to? Try dropping your ram down to 1333 while you work on this.
Okay so: power supply - Super Flower Atlas AT-530P12HE 530W
RAM - HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (not OC'ed at all)

Yes I am trying a multiplier overclock. VCore is set to 1.25V (actually it's on AUTO in BIOS, but that's what I see in CPU-Z, and if I set it to manual it automatically change to 1.25V).

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

damn it. but somehow this motherboard can run fx-8350 which has 4 GHz. how is this possible?
For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/980DE3U3S3/?cat=CPU

But, from what i 've seen with the 1090T undervolted, i would avoid putting FX 8 core on it, even undervolted, even with fan blowing on the VRM. I used the motherboard on a really cool, low power drawing, middle tower system with plenty of airflow (GPU was a 19W HD5450) for this friend of mine and the CPU temp still went to 69C at Prime. Granted, it was summer, but this isn't a motherboard made for high loads. If you have a powerful GPU inside the case, that draws the full 75W from the PCI-E and pumps much hot air that rises towards the VRM area, i can see how it can throttle easily.

Asrock is notorious for borderline deceiving TDP support.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800623

If you think that the 980DE is better than the Asrock 970 Extreme3, you 're very mistaken...

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

1) http://i.imgur.com/zaAyqIB.png - using prime95's blend test.
2) mine also hit 69C with the last cooler when on full load, now as you can see I only get around 30C.
3) well it doesn't matter anymore I guess since I still reseted the bios via jumper.
4) bad settings? well yeah, but 100 MHz more doesn't seem like bad settings for me at all..
5) I know it's a budget motherboard, but I just can't believe I can't get at least 4 GHz on it.
Okay so: power supply - Super Flower Atlas AT-530P12HE 530W
RAM - HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (not OC'ed at all)
Either you have a fantastic aftermarket cooler and low ambient or you need to doublecheck with another software, like HWMonitor or HWInfo. 30C core is very low for Prime.

Quote:
Yes I am trying a multiplier overclock. VCore is set to 1.25V (actually it's on AUTO in BIOS, but that's what I see in CPU-Z, and if I set it to manual it automatically change to 1.25V).
The important is how much voltage you get inside Windows. From what i remember from last summer, at least with the Phenom, the board has a very big vdroop. So you may need to up the voltage in BIOS to counter that. But, again, i wouldn't trust this motherboard with ANY sort of overclock. The FX need more amperage than Phenoms, so the strain on the VRM is much bigger.

EDIT:
You need to look at what CPU-Z shows as voltage under load.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/JZlMzSW.png - my MB temperatures (in idle). is something wrong here ? should I check them when the CPU is in full load?
Yes. Let 10mins of Prime and then take a screenshot. Your AUX temp is very high, i think i remember the same on my friend's board and it was actually going down under load (!), so i guess this is a motherboard sensor quirk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Undervolter I understand that, but for example when I tried changing multiplier to 18 AND the voltage to 1.30 and it still didn't work.

CPU-Z picture while CPU was on 100% in prime95 - http://i.imgur.com/CpeU0Fi.png

My cooler is Thermaltake Contac 29 BP. Gonna wait 10 minutes in order to take a picture with the MB temps.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Unless you're ready and able to purchase a new motherboard, I'd refrain from running stress tests on that motherboard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/J4iniCw.png - that's what I got, indeed AUX temp went down under load.
OK. Since i hate playing hide and seek in a forum, i assume you know also the voltage under load and that there was no throttling. If that's the case and assuming you have disabled turbo and APM, my last advice would be: "If you still want to risk it, give it more vcore". My FX6300 needs 1.32v (effective) for 4Ghz. It's a power pig, but that's what it needs for example. But i will repeat, i wouldn't overclock anything on that motherboard. Did i mention that the motherboard had a huge vdroop with the Phenom? Oh yes, i did...

The other guys may have better ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes I disabled APM and turbo. I tried giving it more vCore (like 1.30V for 3.6 GHz) but that just wasn't enough. I also tried 4 GHz with 1.4V. Something is just wrong, I don't wanna use 1.5V for 100 MHz boost which is next to useless (and I doubt it will even work lol).

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/J4iniCw.png - that's what I got, indeed AUX temp went down under load.

edit: this guy here - http://www.nexthardware.com/forum/overclocking-e-cpu/83497-overclock-fx-6300-su-mb-980de3-u3s3.html&prev=search got 3.9 GHz with the same MOBO (I used google translate to understand).

edit2: another guy who got it to 4 GHz - http://forum.clubedohardware.com.br/topic/1114260-overclock-fx-6300-asrock-980de3u3s3-am3/&prev=search (google translate again, but it works at least)
The 1st link won't open for me.

The 2nd link, with google translation, says that the guy initially couldn't get video signal once overclocked and ends with the same guy posting his failed overclocked (worker 2 fatal error).

http://imgur.com/ipG9W3d

So not what one would call a success... Anyway, like i said, i am a bit tired of this thread as it is evolving and in the way that data is presented (or not). Good luck with your attempt and goodnight.

·
486DX2 66
3,775 Posts
I'm with undervolter on this.. Consensus is going to be you have one scary VRM. If your stress temps are really in the low 30s with that cooler there has to be some throttling going on in the order of voltage drops under load, either that or you're getting false readouts. I would expect that vrm to be burning hot and socket temp to probably be very high without additional fans right over the board. It could be that the chip just doesn't want to overclock, there are no guarantees with it, but if you really want to try I suggest getting a board that is meant for overclocking. I'm finding no evidence of successful overclocking on this mobo backed with screenshots.

Can you post the full image of your HW monitor after a 10 minute prime or aida64 stress test?

You also still haven't told us anything about your ram settings and what exactly you're doing for this overclock, are you just bumping the multiplier up .5? Is the ram running at 1333 with spec timing or is that already overclocked? I just think we have a bad board for this in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Unless you're ready and able to purchase a new motherboard, I'd refrain from running stress tests on that motherboard.
This might also be very wise advise.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts