Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope its okay to post this int he windows forum. We have at home a Canon MF3111 multifunction printer, scanner, copier. The MF3111 is connected to a 32 bit XP machine while i am trying to add it to my 64 bit W7 as a network printer. Problem is Canon only has 32 bit drivers. W7 64 bit has no drivers for it. Is there a solution?

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
You may get lucky using Vista 64 bit drivers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the same problem but with an hp printer connected to a 32 bit win 7 machine while i am on 64 bit.

I haven't tried it but my guess is that if I plugged in the printer directly to the printer it would install the basic drivers and would at least be able to perform the basic functions. Im just too lazy to lug the printer from one room to the other.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post
Have you tried installing the Vista 32 bit drivers?
I would

Cant - W7 yells at me saying installation package is not for 64 bit.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsudvm View Post
Cant - W7 yells at me saying installation package is not for 64 bit.
Did you try this

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgassen View Post
I have the same problem but with an hp printer connected to a 32 bit win 7 machine while i am on 64 bit.

I haven't tried it but my guess is that if I plugged in the printer directly to the printer it would install the basic drivers and would at least be able to perform the basic functions. Im just too lazy to lug the printer from one room to the other.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
if I plugged in the printer directly to the printer it would install the basic drivers and would at least be able to perform the basic functions.
tried that too - didnt work. i let it connect to windows update where surprise it cant find any drivers for the dang thing. i found a post elsewhere where the poster got a response from Canon - they are examining the need for 64 bit drivers/support.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a way to send the print job to the other pc and then let it print it such that i dont need any drivers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've run up against the same issue. Win7(64) will not allow the Vista(32) installation of the existing Canon MF3111 printer driver. Also, USB connection direct to the printer is of no use either, as Windows 'can't find' a driver for this device. It looks like the only option available is to wait for Canon to release a 64-bit version. I also tried the 'compatibility driver' route and that didn't pan out either. I'm not too certain how I feel about my hardware being obsoleted by an operating system....

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by deansrobinson View Post
I've run up against the same issue. Win7(64) will not allow the Vista(32) installation of the existing Canon MF3111 printer driver. Also, USB connection direct to the printer is of no use either, as Windows 'can't find' a driver for this device. It looks like the only option available is to wait for Canon to release a 64-bit version. I also tried the 'compatibility driver' route and that didn't pan out either. I'm not too certain how I feel about my hardware being obsoleted by an operating system....
This issue isn't with the OS! It's with OP now using 64bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts