Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two 24 inch Dell led monitors and recently purchased a BenQ XL2420T to be my main monitor. My problem is I can't display the 3rd monitor. I have one dell connected by hdmi, the other dell by vga from the monitor to the computer's dvi-d / vga adapter. This was how it was running before I bought the BenQ. After I plugged in the BenQ by the mini dvi port now it works but the dell that is connected by dvi-d/vga is not working. Can some please explain what I need to do.

Here is my specs:

"EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 650W Power Supply 120-PG-0650-GR"
"Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001"
"Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case CC-9011023-WW"
"Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD256BW"
"Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B"
"SAPPHIRE 100354XTL Radeon HD 7870 XT w/Boost 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card"
"Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P"
"MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS"
"LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM"

In order of appearance....back of computer, back of Dell monitor, back of BenQ monitor:

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Network Architect
2,708 Posts
AFAIK you can only do two monitors when using the HDMI output with another one... DisplayPort will give you all 3

The acceptable config can be

DVI+DVI+MiniDP/DP
VGA+DVI+MiniDP/DP
3 MiniDP/DP ports

DVI+HDMI
VGA+HDMI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmaxGuy View Post

AFAIK you can only do two monitors when using the HDMI output with another one... DisplayPort will give you all 3

The acceptable config can be

DVI+DVI+MiniDP/DP
VGA+DVI+MiniDP/DP
3 MiniDP/DP ports

DVI+HDMI
VGA+HDMI
What if I'm only just using one hdmi? Nevertheless I think I'll ditch the hdmi and see what happens. Thanks

·
Network Architect
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swith View Post

What if I'm only just using one hdmi? Nevertheless I think I'll ditch the hdmi and see what happens. Thanks
Well, with my current sig GPU, I can only run my HDMI tv and one DVI-D monitor at once and disable one DVI-D monitor, or run both DVI-D monitors and disable the HDMI out... So HDMI seems to throw a kink into the system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To better explain the situation, here is a picture of how I had it setup with 2 Dell monitors (vga to dvi-d adapter and hdmi). Then I bought a BenQ and attached it to one of those mini display ports by using a DVI-D chord and DVI-D to mini display port adapter. Seems like what I should try now is removing the hdmi and connect another monitor via the mini display port correct? Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

To better explain the situation, here is a picture of how I had it setup with 2 Dell monitors (vga to dvi-d adapter and hdmi). Then I bought a BenQ and attached it to one of those mini display ports by using a DVI-D chord and DVI-D to mini display port adapter. Seems like what I should try now is removing the hdmi and connect another monitor via the mini display port correct? Thanks for all the feedback!

That DVI->DP cord isn't really a DisplayPort connection. It's really a DVI connection.

So what you're looking at right now is:
DELL 24" -> DVI -> VGA (really DVI)
DELL 24" -> HDMI
BenQ 24" -> DP->DVI (really DVI in this case)

You're trying to run 2x DVI and 1x HDMI signals off your video card, which unfortunately is a no-no. Besides of which, the BenQ XL2420T won't run at 120hz if it DID work.

You'll need some sort of DP->DVI active converter.

Before you try that, you can *try* doing the following:
BenQ -> DL-DVI to DL-DVI cable
Dell 24" -> HDMI to HDMI
Dell 24" -> DP -> DVI

That *might* work. Probably won't. Can't hurt to try though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

That DVI->DP cord isn't really a DisplayPort connection. It's really a DVI connection.

So what you're looking at right now is:
DELL 24" -> DVI -> VGA (really DVI)
DELL 24" -> HDMI
BenQ 24" -> DP->DVI (really DVI in this case)

You're trying to run 2x DVI and 1x HDMI signals off your video card, which unfortunately is a no-no. Besides of which, the BenQ XL2420T won't run at 120hz if it DID work.

You'll need some sort of DP->DVI active converter.

Before you try that, you can *try* doing the following:
BenQ -> DL-DVI to DL-DVI cable
Dell 24" -> HDMI to HDMI
Dell 24" -> DP -> DVI

That *might* work. Probably won't. Can't hurt to try though.
Thanks for the info. Would you mind looking at this link I list below (specifically the last post on that page). I think this is the reason the mini adapter I bought doesn't work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354966-33-connecting-monitor-mini-displayport-adapter

Today I ended up buying this which judging by the reviews will solve the problem. Is this the DP->DVI active converter. your talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RFGK30/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the dell monitors only have a vga and hdmi port. Does this mean I need to get a DVI adapter? Here is a picture:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Would you mind looking at this link I list below (specifically the last post on that page). I think this is the reason the mini adapter I bought doesn't work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354966-33-connecting-monitor-mini-displayport-adapter

Today I ended up buying this which judging by the reviews will solve the problem. Is this the DP->DVI active converter. your talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RFGK30/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the dell monitors only have a vga and hdmi port. Does this mean I need to get a DVI adapter? Here is a picture:
The DP->DVI adapter you have cannot display 1080p at 120hz.

If you have a DVI-HDMI converter, you might get away with doing the following (messy) chain:
DL-DVI to DL-DVI on the BenQ.
HDMI to HDMI on the Dell 24".
(DP -> DVI converter) -> (DVI-> HDMI converter) -> HDMI on the Dell 24".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reread what you said and I think I understand. Plugged my BenQ into the back of my computer using the DL-DVI to DL-DVI cable and now I can get 120hz. I was wondering why it wasn't showing up before lol. Thank you!

That item I already bought (HIS HMDPSDVIEYE Mini-DisplayPort to DVI Adapter AMD Eyefinity-ready) I'll just use with one of the dells and hopefully that works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

The DP->DVI adapter you have cannot display 1080p at 120hz.

If you have a DVI-HDMI converter, you might get away with doing the following (messy) chain:
DL-DVI to DL-DVI on the BenQ.
HDMI to HDMI on the Dell 24".
I'll try that. I actually have a DVI-HDMI converter...I just have to find it. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I tried this:

and unfortunately it's still not recognizing this as the 3rd monitor. At this point I'm thinking it's the adapter like I read about. Hopefully when I receive that new adapter in the mail it fixes everything. If it doesn't I have no idea what to do lol.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Well I tried this:

and unfortunately it's still not recognizing this as the 3rd monitor. At this point I'm thinking it's the adapter like I read about. Hopefully when I receive that new adapter in the mail it fixes everything. If it doesn't I have no idea what to do lol.
What kind of adapter did you get?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could always buy a USB to HDMI adapter, like Rosewill's RCAD 11002. I use the adapter to watch movies on my television. The only problem I've encountered is getting it to work in Linux, but that's only because I lost the cd containing the drivers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

What kind of adapter did you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticapex View Post

You could always buy a USB to HDMI adapter, like Rosewill's RCAD 11002. I use the adapter to watch movies on my television. The only problem I've encountered is getting it to work in Linux, but that's only because I lost the cd containing the drivers.
Thanks for the info. If the adapter option I just bought doesn't work I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: All 3 monitors work! The new adapter I bought allowed the 3rd monitor to be recognized. Apparently this video card you need a specific mini display adapter. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all your help! I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts