734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
======UPDATE=======
I tried out adding volts to the cpuvid. No luck here is what happened
1.35v cpuvid/1.3vnb. 2.4ghznb. Unstable Bsod
1.3v cpuvid/1.3vnb 2.4ghz unstable bsod
1.35 cpuvid/1.35vnb 2.4ghz/2.6ghz unstable
1.35 cpuvid/1.4vnb 2.4ghz/2.6ghz unstable

I am really really lost, my NB is the bane of my existence. I dont know where to go from here.
=======end of update========
===========OP=============
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I got my 955be to 4ghz, and I get my memory back stable at stock speeds (1600) so I wanted to change the cpu/nb freq so I can at least go with amd's suggestion of 3xmemory speed = cpu/nb speed. Currently its running at 2ghz, 3x800 would be 2.4 ghz, I wanted to try for 2.6 but now i just want 2.4 or heck anything above 2ghz. Here is what happened with out telling the full long story

2.4nb no volts = unstable LinX
2.4nb 1.3V = unstable LinX
2.4nb 1.4V = Post Failure
2.2nb 1.3v = unstable LinX
2.2nb 1.2v = Post Failure

it was 2 in the morning and i needed some sleep so I just set it back to 2ghz and went to sleep. What can I do to get this thing stable? I dont even want a crazy OC any more I just want it to be clocked high enough to take advantage of the memory, and thats 2.4ghz. I figure I must be doing something wrong but I dont know what. Also, I was applying volts to the (northbridg) in bios, should I have been applying them to the CPU/NB VID insted? I dont really know, still new to this. Any help would be great

·
Registered
810 Posts
you shouldn't need very much voltage to get the cpu-nb stable at 2400. try 1.3-1.35v cpu-nb, 1.25-1.28v nb. you could also update mobo bios possibly. what number is your chip? the lower the number the better the imc/cpu-nb.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBrownfinger View Post
you shouldn't need very much voltage to get the cpu-nb stable at 2400. try 1.3-1.35v cpu-nb, 1.25-1.28v nb. you could also update mobo bios possibly.
when you say 1.3-1.35 on cpu-nb do you mean the cpu-nb VID? and then 1.25-1.28 for the actual northbridg
also my bios is up to date ^_^

Also for chip number? you mean my NB? Its the 870

Also on a different subject, my mobo gigabyte 870-ud3 should have the SB850 but every hardware scanner picks up the 750chip set, and even the firmware flash for my F3s didnt work because they detected the 750..something that really confuses me

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timma100 View Post
when you say 1.3-1.35 on cpu-nb do you mean the cpu-nb VID? and then 1.25-1.28 for the actual northbridg
also my bios is up to date ^_^

Also for chip number? you mean my NB? Its the 870
yes, 1.3-1.35 vid and 1.25-1.28v on the actual nb. the chip number im talking about is the number on the cpu. this number will also be on the box or package it came in. its a 5 digit number, my 965 c3 is 00279. that means it was the 279th chip to be cut out. generally the closer to the middle (lower number) the better chance you have at high overclocks on the cpu-nb.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBrownfinger View Post
yes, 1.3-1.35 vid and 1.25-1.28v on the actual nb. the chip number im talking about is the number on the cpu. this number will also be on the box or package it came in. its a 5 digit number, my 965 c3 is 00279. that means it was the 279th chip to be cut out. generally the closer to the middle (lower number) the better chance you have at high overclocks on the cpu-nb.
Alright thanks
The only question I have, is there is no reference voltage for the cpu-nb VID there is just an option to add/subtract volts. It wont tell me what its at.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timma100 View Post
Alright thanks
The only question I have, is there is no reference voltage for the cpu-nb VID there is just an option to add/subtract volts. It wont tell me what its at.
maybe look around in your bios for something that has the voltages. mine has hw monitor and in it shows the current voltages. its not where i change voltages though. you could also try the gigabyte site for specs.

·
The Computer Guy
6,484 Posts
this may help,came from Tator Tot:
Re: I have a few more questions Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCO
I hope you don't mind.
1st,
You told me that the CPU/NB is the NB on the CPU.
(Right?)
2nd,
I finely got my CPU/NB up to 2673MHz(Now will I get a performance boost from those setting?).I was @ 2430MHz.
3rd,
Now I have my CPU/NB volts set to 1.48(It won't run any lower than that @ 2673MHz).Is it ok to run the CPU/NB at 1.48?
4th,
Do I need to equalize the CPU and CPU/NB Volts?Something like this,(Example;CPU=1.50v and CPU/NB=1.50v)?And if I can,Will it be stable and/or lower my temps?

Here is were I stand now;
CPU:4009/1.53v/58c
CPU/NB:2673/1.48/57c

It's running Prime95 for 1.5 hours now,So far so good.

1.) Yeah that's correct. The "Northbridge" on the CPU is a combination of the Integrated Memory Controller & L3 Cache of the CPU itself.

2.) Yes, you should see a reduction in memory latency and an increase in bandwidth.

3.) Yes, up to 1.55v is fine; though obviously you'll want to keep the CPU Core temps under 62*C Max.

4.) No you don't need to equalize the voltage. AMD CPU's (and some Intel CPU's) have technology called Gating, where individual cores can have individual voltage even.
So theoretically (if the BIOS obviously allows) you can set one Core to 2Ghz & 1v while you have the other 3 Cores at 4Ghz & 1.55v
While most people don't do that, it is a possibility. AMD's architecture does not rely on a balance of frequency or voltage and is designed to be scalable across load patterns.

Which is why the newer Phenom II CPU's with the T Designation allow for Turbo which can dynamically clock & load cores based on the task at hand.

Man you have been a big help explaining this to me,And thank you again.

No problem. The more information I spread, the more educated the public can be, and thus the smarter we grow as a whole

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About to go home, anyone have an idea on what I can try for a stable NB OC. All I want is 2.6ghz or even 2.4 2ghz with 1600memory= lost performance. And thats just sad. Before the bsod I get 52Gflops in LinX @ 2.6ghz. and only 49 with it at 2ghz Q_Q I dont know why my NB is so touchy, or maybe im doing something wrong. Any help would be fantastic

thanks ^_^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts