Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig has been in pieces for almost a week now because I can't get it to boot. I recently stalled a Crosshair V with all the same hardware in my sig rig except for the ram which is Mushkin Redline 8gb 2133mhz. I did a clean install before I switched all the hardware over and have done a couple of re-sits but nothing no boot.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatakai All
View Post

My rig has been in pieces for almost a week now because I can't get it to boot. I recently stalled a Crosshair V with all the same hardware in my sig rig except for the ram which is Mushkin Redline 8gb 2133mhz. I did a clean install before I switched all the hardware over and have done a couple of re-sits but nothing no boot.

Do you still have your old RAM?

Quote:

Does it power at all and just not display or is it a totally dead?

Oh, and this. What exactly is happening?

• Rep+
Reactions: Tatakai All

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys and sorry I've been kinda busy with work and my pc that's in pieces. It does power up for a second or two but it doesn't go any further. The green LEDs on the board light up like I said for a second or two but that's about it and it's just so frustrating. Sorry kinda ranting there. I do have my old ram but it's DDR2 and the new one is DDR3. I can't get into Windows cause it doesn't stay powered long enough to send a signal out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Does the motherboard give out an error code?
Do you have the beep speaker connected?

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Penguin
View Post

Does the motherboard give out an error code?
Do you have the beep speaker connected?

All the LEDs around the board are green except the one by the main power pin. That one is red and I think it's the CPU LED. The beeper is connected but doesn't sound.

Sent from my pocket rocket using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Try to reset the CMOS.
If nothing changes take out your CPU (leave your RAM installed) and see if the beeper makes a noise once your power the MB on. Make sure the speaker is connected properly.

I just noticed the stepping your CPU has.
Press the Go button on your motherboard before post.
I know for a fact that the C2's memory controller doesn't like 1333MHz RAM or above.

If you get it to boot, immediately configure your RAM to 1066 MHz.
Try this using only one module.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. one stick of ram (i used slot 3)
2. clear the bios with the jumper
3. del into your bios (if u can) check your
hd setup... ide/sata is not the default..
4. 1066....
good luck....

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All;14145484
... It does power up for a second or two but it doesn't go any further ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All;14145774
... except the one by the main power pin. That one is red and I think it's the CPU LED ...
I had this EXACT same problem when I first installed my Crosshair V. The best solution is to take out the motherboard, place it on a anti-static surface and hook everything up to it outside the case - it should boot up no problem telling you that there is something in the case shorting it out.

1. Make sure all motherboard standoffs are being used, have a screw, and are tight.
2. Insure there is nothing behind the motherboard that could be shorting it out, loose screw for example. Shake case!
3. Re-seat the CPU, lever is down, make sure you don't over-tighten cooler.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! Since it's the weekend I'll have time to work on it and try all the suggested suggestions then get back to you all with the results.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I've finally made it into the bios and can make tweaks where necessary but when I to get into Windows I bsod. Everything is at stock and I've even lowered the MHz on the ram. What's going on?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try running everything on defaults first then overclock. Just so you can see its possible to load windows. Then take it one step at a time. Sounds like the ram though since you mentioned getting new ram.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yep as Penguin said the phenom cpu's dont like ram over 1333, I had similar issues with my 955 when installing 1600 ram.

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All;14166415
Alright I've finally made it into the bios and can make tweaks where necessary but when I to get into Windows I bsod. Everything is at stock and I've even lowered the MHz on the ram. What's going on?

Can you give us the BSOD code?

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
You wont be able to run 2000mhz ram on that phenom, get a thuban, its more likely itll work. Amd with high memory frequencies is a pain. My 1600 is just about stable with my pro.c at 4.2 ghz

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All;14166415

Make sure the memory is set at 1066 MHz with the default timings and rated voltage. Once set, install the other memory modules.
You said you get BSOD in Windows?
Was it a fresh installation of it?

• Rep+

·
Registered
315 Posts
with your pc off, press the little "memory ok" button top right of board near ram slots, it should auto config your memory to that board as its a compatibility thing. Also you might not be able to run [email protected], as officially the board supports upto 1866mhz with bulldozer and upto 1333mhz with all phenoms 2 cpus, anything over this is an overclock to your board/cpu, tho your ram can run upto 2133mhz standard. Try booting with 1 ram stick at 1066mhz or 1333mhz and see if that works. If this workings try upping to 1600mhz, then add other stick at 1333mhz and go up from here. You might need more voltage to your north bridge chip.
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 42 Posts