Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded the latest GPU client (6.32) but can't seem to get it to work. I click display and it says it's doing "Test Protein A" and to the right of that it says "Core is not running right now". The GPU is in use at nearly 100% however, which tells me it's crunching something. Driver is up to date (258.xx WHQL).

Relevant specs:

GTX 275 SLI
Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
Win 7 x64 HP

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
do not use the display, it ruins PPD and does not really give good info.

download HFM and configure that, theres a tutorial in the essentials thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fooxz
View Post

do not use the display, it ruins PPD and does not really give good info.

download HFM and configure that, theres a tutorial in the essentials thread

I already had FAHMon and didn't have any success setting that up - until I looked at the guide for HFM; looked like I was choosing the wrong filepaths.

Okay so it's not HFM but I've got a monitoring client up, according to FAHMon I'm getting only about 7k PPD for a GTX 275 and 330 PPD for my Core i7. Are these numbers about normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Quadragon
View Post

I already had FAHMon and didn't have any success setting that up - until I looked at the guide for HFM; looked like I was choosing the wrong filepaths.

Okay so it's not HFM but I've got a monitoring client up, according to FAHMon I'm getting only about 7k PPD for a GTX 275 and 330 PPD for my Core i7. Are these numbers about normal?

the gpu ppd looks maybe slightly low, but the i7 is VERY low, just let it run for a bit, after a couple percents it may increase.

Actually, what client did you use for your cpu? did you follow the SMP guide, or did you get the tray client?

and about HFM; the filepaths you would need to pick are likely in your "my documents>appdata>roaming>folding blah blah blah"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fooxz
View Post

the gpu ppd looks maybe slightly low, but the i7 is VERY low, just let it run for a bit, after a couple percents it may increase.

Actually, what client did you use for your cpu? did you follow the SMP guide, or did you get the tray client?

and about HFM; the filepaths you would need to pick are likely in your "my documents>appdata>roaming>folding blah blah blah"

I followed the instructions from the SMP guide, now I'm getting approx 2k PPD for my i7 with CPU usage at 100% (without -bigadv yet, because it advised me not to until 10 WU). Still seems kind of low, I think other users are getting about 10k or so?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Quadragon
View Post

I followed the instructions from the SMP guide, now I'm getting approx 2k PPD for my i7 with CPU usage at 100% (without -bigadv yet, because it advised me not to until 10 WU). Still seems kind of low, I think other users are getting about 10k or so?

yeah, you have to get 10 SMP WUs before bigadv in order to get the nice bonuses.

is your i7 overclocked? because it should be getting more... my i3 @ 4ghz gets about 5k, and at stock (3ghz) i got around 3k... oh duh i just reread your post, yeah at 4ghz you really should be getting higher even without bigadv...

you arent doing anything else that would be stealing the CPUs attention from folding right? you may want to increase the priority of the client in order to keep it working on that, since even surfing the web can take priority, and put folding on the backburner. (when folding does have the priority, you can still surf, while it may be slightly slower, it wont hurt your ppd nearly as much)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fooxz
View Post

yeah, you have to get 10 SMP WUs before bigadv in order to get the nice bonuses.

is your i7 overclocked? because it should be getting more... my i3 @ 4ghz gets about 5k, and at stock (3ghz) i got around 3k... oh duh i just reread your post, yeah at 4ghz you really should be getting higher even without bigadv...

you arent doing anything else that would be stealing the CPUs attention from folding right? you may want to increase the priority of the client in order to keep it working on that, since even surfing the web can take priority, and put folding on the backburner. (when folding does have the priority, you can still surf, while it may be slightly slower, it wont hurt your ppd nearly as much)

CPU usage is at 100%; even surfing a large amount of websites shouldn't put it past 10%, therefore around 90% of it should be used for folding at the moment, giving a somewhat representative performance number. Basically it's working at nearly its full potential but getting very little PPD estimate; could it be off by that much?

On the GPU front I'm not really sure it's working. WU size is always 10k and my donor stats aren't updating after completion of WU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, well for now I guess I'll just try to set up multi-GPU. I'm still worried about my CPU PPD though; it's taken it 40 minutes for 10% completion of current WU, and is still posting only a 2K PPD estimate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
A i7 at 4GHz should be doing at least 15/17k so the thing is in your shortcut of the client go to proprieties and put these flags -smp -advmethods that should fix the issue and again check the tutorial all of this is explained there... you are doing only 2k cause you are only running SMP in 1 core and you have 7 free....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by [CyGnus]
View Post

A i7 at 4GHz should be doing at least 15/17k so the thing is in your shortcut of the client go to proprieties and put these flags -smp -advmethods that should fix the issue and again check the tutorial all of this is explained there... you are doing only 2k cause you are only running SMP in 1 core and you have 7 free....

I already did everything in that guide, plus RealTemp is reporting that all of my cores are fully loaded :/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,116 Posts
Are you using HFM or Fahmon to monitor the i7's PPD?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,116 Posts
Fahmon won't calculate bonuses. You will need to use HFM to see the i7's true PPD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

Fahmon won't calculate bonuses. You will need to use HFM to see the i7's true PPD.


Cool, I opened up HFM and it's reporting at 14K now


Could you possibly link me somewhere that explains bonuses? It would be much appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,116 Posts
It's assumed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, sorry to be a bother but another problem has cropped up. I've set up multi-GPU now, but I'm getting orange boxes in HFM for my Name and Project Columns.

For Name: "Client is working with the same name and Machine ID as another client".

I've set up the CPU client to be machine 1, and the gpu clients to be machines 2 and 3. And the name should be the same since it's all going to my account. What could be the conflict?

For Project: "Client is working on the same work unit as another client".

I opened gpu client 1 and gpu client 2 fairly close to each other, could this be the problem? Is this bad and is there any way to avoid it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,116 Posts
Ignore it for this WU... if it happens for the next WU, let me know.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top