Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have searched and read for more hours, and I cannot find out why I am limited to 775/1125 on my XFX5850. I have read multiple guides and posts from people taking theirs to much higher freq. 2 of my friends have 5770's and they can take theirs up to 960/1445! I could have saved a bunch by buying a 5770 instead of this 5850. I have tried MSI Afterburner, CCC, Tool (doesn't work with Win7), and it has been suggested I try Rivatuner. But they make the Afterburner software so where is the difference? At least the Afterburner allowed me to control the GPU fan because it never moved no matter how hot with the others unless I manually raised it. Frustrated with this.

Kevin

I just went to XFX and pulled up the specs for both cards. The main dif is 5770 has faster clocks and slower bits. 128 to my 256. Not sure how this affects performance or why they make cards this close to each other in performance. New higher # just to sell a card?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Nice thread title.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Almost as epic as the 'Getting Wet' thread in Watercooling.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klook;11996762
Ok, I have searched and read for more hours, and I cannot find out why I am limited to 775/1125 on my XFX5850. I have read multiple guides and posts from people taking theirs to much higher freq. 2 of my friends have 5770's and they can take theirs up to 960/1445! I could have saved a bunch by buying a 5770 instead of this 5850. I have tried MSI Afterburner, CCC, Tool (doesn't work with Win7), and it has been suggested I try Rivatuner. But they make the Afterburner software so where is the difference? At least the Afterburner allowed me to control the GPU fan because it never moved no matter how hot with the others unless I manually raised it. Frustrated with this.

Kevin

I just went to XFX and pulled up the specs for both cards. The main dif is 5770 has faster clocks and slower bits. 128 to my 256. Not sure how this affects performance or why they make cards this close to each other in performance. New higher # just to sell a card?
Have you tried increasing the voltage in Afterburner? That usually allows for higher clocks. Also, if the fan speed's not changing, you could try creating a custom fan profile.

The main difference between the 5770 and the 5850 isn't the clock speed, it's the 640 steam processor difference. That's an extra 80% over the 5770... Now that doesn't equate to the 5850 being 80% faster, but it certainly gives it a performance boost over the 5770.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I can buy that. But straight up in a benchmark test, theirs beat mine until I overclocked it and the CPU. They refuse to overclock so I am ahead of them. (???)
Yes, tried everything in all the programs I had to get the fans to work. I have got them to work in Afterburner using a custom profile, it is the only one that has worked. And no, I cannot raise the voltage unless there is something I need to do to enable it.

I only am able to control the GPU fan. Is this normal?
Actually, it states in the popups that it needs to be unlocked in advanced mode. I will try that.
There is no advanced mode I can find. Just a box to check or not. It makes no changes either way.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klook;11997597
Ok, I can buy that. But straight up in a benchmark test, theirs beat mine until I overclocked it and the CPU. They refuse to overclock so I am ahead of them. (???)
Yes, tried everything in all the programs I had to get the fans to work. I have got them to work in Afterburner using a custom profile, it is the only one that has worked. And no, I cannot raise the voltage unless there is something I need to do to enable it.

I only am able to control the GPU fan. Is this normal?
Actually, it states in the popups that it needs to be unlocked in advanced mode. I will try that.
There is no advanced mode I can find. Just a box to check or not. It makes no changes either way.
That could be for many reasons such as: what CPU they're running, how heavily it's overclocked, and how heavily they're GPU is overclocked. Just overclock yours and you'll blow them away.

Under "Settings" there's a voltage control option:
2znswms.png

Is it enabled on yours? Also, is the fan speed on auto? Or did you change it to user controlled? If it's set to user controlled then that's possibly why it's not increasing with the temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts