Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I recently changed my network configuration, by replacing a couple of network hubs with a 16 port switch. After I plugged everything in my network basically doesn't work. I'm getting IP problems and the computers can't see the internet.

Here's how I had it before:

Cable Modem ---> Wireless Router (w/ 4port hub) ---> Hub ---> Hub

I have about 8 computers and several other network devices.

The router took care of assigning IPs with DHCP and I also used the internal NAT funtion of the router.

NOW... I tried connecting everything like this:

Cable Modem ---> Wireless Router ---> Switch

Everything is connectd to the switch. Now the computers dont get IP's, they can't see eachother and they can't reach the web. Do I have to dissable DHCP in the router? Assign IP's manually?

Its the first time I've worked with a switch at home, so please, bare with me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

THANKS
CW

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Are you running Zone Alarm? If so, you'll need to reconfigure the trusted zone settings to point to the new switch's IP address.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Not all switches will have a seperate IP address, many home switches are un-mannaged. What is the model of the router and switch?

EDIT: You don't want to disable DHCP on the router, you will still need that. Switches and hubs work the same for the most part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Switch brand = Zonet.

URL (for the model):
http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=72

I have a Linksys Wireless router.

I have aleady received some input here at work:
1) The switch doesn't have an identifiable "uplink" port. Could that be the problem?

2) They also told me to try using a cross-over cable to connect port 1 of the router with port 1 of the switch.

I dont have any Firewall program enabled.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You need to turn off dhcp and and config the ip manualy and change the routers ips so they don't conflick with each other

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm going to go ahead and test it al again... including using a cross-over cable. If that doesn't work I guess I'll try exchanging it. But its hard to determine if its working or not when i dont know exactly how to connect and configure it all. :p Is anybody out there using a Switch + Router configuration? How do you have it set up?

CW

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those of you who have been following this thread...

Problem solved!

On my way home yesterday I bought a crossover cable which I connected from port 1 on the router to port 1 on the switch. After that I connected one computer at a time. DHCP worked flawlessly with each one. I assigned a couple of them static IPs and it still worked. It took some patience but I was able to have 11 ports in use without any problems. The speed difference is incredible.

Thanks again for all your input.

CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts