Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any time I go and increase my host clock frequency past 142, I get the "windows error recovery" message, and when I hit "start windows error recovery", it gives me a blue screen..

Now, I am on a DX58SO motherboard, which isn't the best for OC'ing, and the BIOS is really simple... I haven't really done this that much, should I increase voltages?

What should my settings be for 4GHz? I am on the stock air cooler (which is actually really good on the 980x.)

CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1770540

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
if your crashing on booting windows add a little vcore till you can get in windows and stress test.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6
View Post

Your vcore is at 0.988

Increase that vcore to around 1.32 and see from there

I would increase it on the "static cpu voltage override" correct? I'm not sure if that settings is even common on most boards, but that's what it's called on my DX58SO.

·
Back to Building
4,863 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric
View Post

I would increase it on the "static cpu voltage override" correct? I'm not sure if that settings is even common on most boards, but that's what it's called on my DX58SO.

im not familiar with that board but for example to hit 4.2ghz on my 920 i need 1.35v so i think you will need a bit more vcore, also make sure your other settings are not left on auto as it will assign some crazy volts if you do

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Don't know what the Bios looks like in that mobo, but play around with the setting that will allow you to increase core voltage.

Does your Bios looks something like this:

Also, how old is your Intel x58so. If you had the earlier versions, you might need to update your mobo bios to the latest one to accept the i7 980x chipset.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

View Post

Don't know what the Bios looks like in that mobo, but play around with the setting that will allow you to increase core voltage.

Does your Bios looks something like this:

Also, how old is your Intel x58so. If you had the earlier versions, you might need to update your mobo bios to the latest one to accept the i7 980x chipset.

Exactly how it looks like. And yes, I'm on the latest BIOS revision... But god is it still horrible, the fastest POST time I get is around 45 seconds.. Not to mention my max fan speeds every startup.

Well, enough ranting on the mobo, I'll go change the vcore to 1.32 and I'll see how it goes, but are there any other settings I need to change?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Seeing that the Bios has very little adjustments, we will just concentrate on making your computer stable first. FYI, the Intel x58so was my first i7 mobo and was it craptastic. I was running an i7 920 CO at that time and everything was great at stock clock. Once I started pushing that OC past 3.6ghz, mobo locked up and I had to return it and upgraded it to a Rampage II Extreme and never looked back.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

Seeing that the Bios has very little adjustments, we will just concentrate on making your computer stable first. FYI, the Intel x58so was my first i7 mobo and was it craptastic. I was running an i7 920 CO at that time and everything was great at stock clock. Once I started pushing that OC past 3.6ghz, mobo locked up and I had to return it and upgraded it to a Rampage II Extreme and never looked back.

Yeah, I'm thinking about a UD3R, would that be a good board for the price?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking about a UD3R, would that be a good board for the price?

What's your budget?
I just don't see how you spent on an i7 980x and skimped on the motherboard.
You need to unleash that beast of a chip and combine it with a killer motherboard.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I would say it would be better than your current MOBO! ( intell not recommended for OC)
Im really happy with my classified! If i were you i would get a high end MOBO ( WITH THAT HIGH END CPU) just my opinion!

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Quote:

View Post

True.. Maybe I should just wait and get a rampage III formula.

Good thinking, you should also think about getting a cooler, dh14 or silver arrow or maybe even water.

EDIT: There are plenty of coolers that perform very well, you might want to head over to the cooling section for more info on that, or maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on that can help you here. From What I have heard and seen, The noctua DH14 seems to be very popluar, also the corsair kits.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, 3.84GHz is all I can pull off with this board. I guess that's what you can expect from an Intel branded board with 6 power phases. I'm going to play it safe with OC'ing/voltages until I get an enthusiast board that can handle it. (Like an R3F.)

Luckily, for the time being, the intel board can handle my ram @ 1621MHz 6-8-6-20 without a hitch!
biggrin.gif

Just got to deal with slow POST times for now.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,322 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't sell my Rampage 111 for anything, I love it, with the 980X and a liquid cooling system, it cant be beat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you with "SO", I bought it on the cheap from ebay, I just wanted to get my system folding but it's pretty worthless OC'ing so far. I was hoping to click on page 2 of this thread and see a magic fix..lol

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
yea man get another motherboard... that one is terrible.. i have the gigabyte g1 guerrilla... you don't have to spend that much on a motherboard though... get a decent one like a ud7 or basically anything decent that is from asus or gigabyte....

I've heard bad things about intel boards

1 - 20 of 21 Posts