Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I'm trying to squeeze a bit more life out of my FX-8300 for gaming, as recent, CPU-heavy games such as Assassin's Creed Origins had some trouble running smoothly.
I was never able to oc this specific chip very high on another board as well, so I guess I lost the silicon lottery. I know that my board and cooler aren't heavy hitters, but I'm not looking for anything crazy. Maybe 3.7 or 3.9 would be already the dream, but I can't for the life of me pass the Prime95 custom test with memory load of 75% (I'm following this great guide).
My goal is to achieve a modest overclock with a CPU Max Temp of 59° and Thermal Margin of at least 20°.
CPU Ratio of 18.5, CPU Manual Voltage of 1.262 gave me 3700 with CPU Max Temp of 59° and Thermal Margin of 26°. This passed the Prime95 Small FFT for 10 Minutes, but didn't even last an hour with the Full Prime Test and testing 75% of memory. I increased the CPU Manual Voltage up to 1.3V after each fail, but I can't seem to get a stable Prime result.

I'm looking for a sanity check of my settings and goals. Am I aiming too high or did I make a mistake? Should I keep going increasing CPU Voltage? Maybe I should accept stock?

FX-8300
M597 R2.0
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (4x4GB)
GTX 1060 3GB
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo Air (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO didn't fit).

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
AMD Turbo CORE Technology - Disabled
Memory Frequency - DDR3-1333MHz
DRAM Voltage - 1.5
CPU/NB Frequency - 2200Mhz
HT Link Speed - 2600Mhz
CPU & NB Voltage - Manual Mode
CPU/NB Manual Voltage - 1.25V
CPU LLC - Auto
CPU/NB LLC - Auto

Cool'n'Quiet - Disabled
C1E - Disabled
Core C6 State - Disabled
HPC Mode - Disabled
Amp Master Mode - Disabled

(DIGI+ Settings are not available in the BIOS).

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to up your ram speed. Put the volts at 1.6. Try the next memory setting up. You can try the next memory setting up without upping voltage but 1.6 is easy.

Up your cpu/nb to = your HT speed. So 2600

Turn on HPC.

Do not OC your memory using your FSB. Keep it at 200 for now.

Use multiplier OC. I was able to get my 8300 to 4400 stable at I think 1.43 volts.

Just keep bumping your Multiplier up. Obviously 4400 is 22 x 200.

Oh and do one of these at a time to make sure your system is stable into windows.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try to up your ram speed. Put the volts at 1.6. Try the next memory setting up. You can try the next memory setting up without upping voltage but 1.6 is easy.

Up your cpu/nb to = your HT speed. So 2600

Turn on HPC.

Do not OC your memory using your FSB. Keep it at 200 for now.

Use multiplier OC. I was able to get my 8300 to 4400 stable at I think 1.43 volts.

Just keep bumping your Multiplier up. Obviously 4400 is 22 x 200.

Oh and do one of these at a time to make sure your system is stable into windows.
what? he's trying to overclock his CPU, ram should be stock in this case, not overclocked. upping ram speed will put more stress on an already crappy IMC, adding more instability into the mix.

2600 is high on fx, again that's just more instability when he can't even get core clocks stable, also it adds heat.

@OP what PSU are you using? and are you keeping an eye on your socket/vrm/core temperatures while stress testing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts