Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im unable to find the Sapphire toxic 4890 anywhere and Newegg has no idea when their next shipment will be in so Im trying to figure out what to get instead. Maybe just get the Sapphire Vapor-X without the Toxic or you guys think I should go with a different brand?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RLeMuix
View Post

Im unable to find the Sapphire toxic 4890 anywhere and Newegg has no idea when their next shipment will be in so Im trying to figure out what to get instead. Maybe just get the Sapphire Vapor-X without the Toxic or you guys think I should go with a different brand?

Thanks,

Ross

I'd recommend staying away from the Vapor-X. A lot of people are buying them thinking that since they're just behind the Toxic, they'll be just as good.

I think what's happening is that most of the cards that are able to achieve the 960 core that a Toxic comes with are thrown in the Toxic bin. Otherwise they become Vapor-X or vanilla.

Lots of bad luck with those cards. Go for the Asus Top or keep searching for a 4890.

• Rep+
Reactions: RLeMuix

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa
View Post

i just got XFXs XXX editions that are 900mhz core stock so get them for your next choice.

Unless the XXXs have different coolers from the base model and XT(XTreme) I'd say don't do it unless you must have XFX brand as I did(warranty considerations). The cooler on the XT is pure junk. It's smaller, lighter, and has an all aluminum base(no copper except for 3 small heatpipes). Also the mem/vrm plate is different. It's nice that the VRM-sink is separate but it doesn't have the heat capacity of the big plate, it barely gets the job done using the stock fan settings.

edit: you can also get it here: http://www.xpcgear.com/sapphire-1002...ideo-card.html NVM, says pre-order.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat
View Post

Unless the XXXs have different coolers from the base model and XT(XTreme) I'd say don't do it unless you must have XFX brand as I did(warranty considerations). The cooler on the XT is pure junk. It's smaller, lighter, and has an all aluminum base(no copper except for 3 small heatpipes). Also the mem/vrm plate is different. It's nice that the VRM-sink is separate but it doesn't have the heat capacity of the big plate, it barely gets the job done using the stock fan settings.

edit: you can also get it here: http://www.xpcgear.com/sapphire-1002...ideo-card.html NVM, says pre-order.

lets hope the XXX has the good cooler for 1ghz core speeds

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol yea I saw that one too Desert and I was like "OH ****" and then saw pre-order and cried a little on the inside...

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea thats the one one newegg. They had an ETA for 7/20/09 and I was waiting all day today for it to come in but it never did and eventually the ETA disappeared. I contacted them and newegg said they have 140 Units pending right now, they just dont know when they are coming back in. The first site you linked where it has "pre-order" in the name said they get theirs back in stock at the end of this week/month so Im not sure what to do

whats the difference between those 2 asus cards desert?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yea thats the one one newegg. They had an ETA for 7/20/09 and I was waiting all day today for it to come in but it never did and eventually the ETA disappeared. I contacted them and newegg said they have 140 Units pending right now, they just dont know when they are coming back in. The first site you linked where it has "pre-order" in the name said they get theirs back in stock at the end of this week/month so Im not sure what to do

whats the difference between those 2 asus cards desert?

*sighs* I got a Toxic, but can't sell here yet (been trying to help pple like crzy but unfortunately some people don't know/care for rep system).

Have you tried other sites, like Mwave, eWiz etc. After Newegg changed their RMA policy (VGA), I've begun to be more open with other online retailers...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did try ewiz, they are out of stock. Ill check mwave cause Ive never heard of em. Thanks for the sites.

No luck on mwave for the toxic

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
maybe not the most talked about card out there but the oced version of the diamond ,depending on your system, i have found is a good card imo

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks,

Ross

Short answer and probably not what you want to hear but get a 4850 X2. It's faster than a toxic or atomic and is available. Another option, sticking with 4890's, is the xfx "black edition" but too, very hard to find. The xfx xxx is available, and some do 1Ghz out the box, but not guaranteed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well apparently this ASUS 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121308 comes back in stock today so if it does, Ill probably end up getting that one. Will it fit in an Antec 300? People have said that its rather big.

Edit: Same thing just happened to the ASUS one that happened to the Toxic. The ETA magically disappears and now they have no idea when it will be in... >_>

1 - 20 of 92 Posts