Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I have 4 dimms too and had hard time for couple weeks. I think I finally got it.

What I did: Clear CMOS and run memtest. If stable, up the settings you want. If it fails, clear cmos again.

Looks like when my NB fails the OC, my ram isn't stable even at stock settings (manual). It will only work after a clear cmos.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
I have 4 dimms too and had hard time for couple weeks. I think I finally got it.

What I did: Clear CMOS and run memtest. If stable, up the settings you want. If it fails, clear cmos again.

Looks like when my NB fails the OC, my ram isn't stable even at stock settings (manual). It will only work after a clear cmos.
RAM is fine with auto or low speeds (1000MHz as of now) . the problem isn't in RAM itself , but rather in settings .

·
Registered
523 Posts
I believe with 4 dimm's populated on DDR3 you can only get 1066mhz anyways

Also it says you have 12GB of ram, which means you have a 4gig and 8gig set or ram kits, which obviously have different speed settings and ram timings, so its no wonder you can't get stability past a certain speed

You have to match ram in kit pairs in order to ensure, or for a greater chance anyways, of getting stability with higher overclocks

If you are still dead set on overclocking your 4gig and 8gig ram kits together, open CPU-Z and find out whats your slowest set of ram sticks and their timings at 1066mhz, then set your ram to 1066mhz and those timings in the bios

Also make sure your Hyper Transport is as close as possible to 2ghz

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm . I have 2 [2GB] Sticks + 2 [4GB] sticks , but I am sure that when I bought them I ensured all of them run at 1333 Stock . I never grasped those timings thing , never understood them ... So , if I replaced those 2GB sticks with the same 4GB ones (16 GB Total) can I hit 4.0GHz or higher ?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Increase the CPU-NB voltage. That might help.
I don't know about you but I certainly don't have any problem whatsoever running 4 sticks on a 1055T with the CPU, northbridge & memory overclocked. Replacing all your DIMMS with the same model might not guarantee a better overclock like you think, though it could help. It appears you're running generic RAM anyway so it probably wouldn't matter as much considering the speed & timings (what are probably terrible 1333 CAS9 - you want to be at around 1600 CAS6-7 on AMD systems).

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheImperial2004 View Post
RAM is fine with auto or low speeds (1000MHz as of now) . the problem isn't in RAM itself , but rather in settings .
Why don't you run a CPUz validation and post it up so we can see what you're running.

Or you could even take screen shots of the first tab in CPUz (the one with CPU frequency and voltage), and the second of the memory tab.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Increase the CPU-NB voltage. That might help.
How much ?

Quote:
Why don't you run a CPUz validation and post it up so we can see what you're running.

Or you could even take screen shots of the first tab in CPUz (the one with CPU frequency and voltage), and the second of the memory tab.
See my Sig

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Try setting the CPU-NB at like 1.4v or a little higher. Theoretically it is the same "safe" voltage as CPU vcore. Also a slight bump in the NB voltage may help.

• Rep+
Reactions: TheImperial2004

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Populating all of your DIMM's will not decrease your RAM speed to 1066, that's just simply not true.
The memory controller on the Phenom II's has a limit for when all 4 dimm slots are populated

800mhz for DDR2, 1066mhz for DDR3 when all 4 slots are populated

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

How much ?
At all stock settings I needed 1.225v up from 1.15v to remain stable. For everybody it depends, so raise it until you find you are stable (hopefully).
Increasing the NB voltage from 1.1 to 1.2 (to help with the higher ref. clock/FSB) might also help.
ShamisOMally: The limit is 1333Mhz on newer-stepping processors (C3 and E0) and even then you can usually run 1600Mhz with nice timings with no sweat.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:

How much ?

See my Sig

Dude, your hyper transport is -HEAVILY- overclocked, that could be why you are so unstable

Make sure your ram is at 1066 for 4 slots dimm populated, also make sure its set to the SLOWEST ram sticks you have in timings

And set your Hyper Transport for as close as possible to 2ghz, that's probably why you are so unstable

In your case with 264FSB you should have your Hypertransport on 7 or 8x multiplier

Don't adjust motherboard northbridge voltages, you shouldn't have to for a even a 4.4ghz overclock, CPUNB for 4ghz overclock should at the most require 1.30000 volts for 2.6ghz Northbridge

Again, your hyper transport is heavily overclocked, which is probably why you are so unstable

And no, even the C3 and EO steppings of processors with 4 dimm slots populated still have the same memory controller limitation of 800mhz DDR2 and 1066 DDR3 for all 4 ram dimm slots occupied

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamisOMally View Post
Dude, your hyper transport is -HEAVILY- overclocked, that could be why you are so unstable

Make sure your ram is at 1066 for 4 slots dimm populated, also make sure its set to the SLOWEST ram sticks you have in timings

And set your Hyper Transport for as close as possible to 2ghz, that's probably why you are so unstable

In your case with 264FSB you should have your Hypertransport on 7 or 8x multiplier
This. Lower your HTT multipliper. 2000Mhz is enough and going higher can actually DECREASE performance in some cases.

• Rep+
Reactions: TheImperial2004

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:

Great ! It worked , increased my CPU-NB to 1.4 and volia !

I'll buy the same 4GB kit so I'll not get confused in timings ... Thank you all +REP

I hope you didn't increase your motherboard NB volts, you shouldn't have to, only time you need to increase Motherboard NB volts is for when you are getting instability with like your videocard and heavy overclocks of your CPU etc

Also, like I said your Hypertransport is heavily overclocked right now, for 264 northbridge clocks you need it set to 7 or 8x

When finding out what you need your hypertransport multiplier set too, always divide your FSB by 2000, you can go +- 200mhz on the hypertransport, most people like to go slightly positive, but you should go as close as possible to 2000mhz on hyper transport

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
I hope you didn't increase your motherboard NB volts, you shouldn't have to, only time you need to increase Motherboard NB volts is for when you are getting instability with like your videocard and heavy overclocks of your CPU etc

Also, like I said your Hypertransport is heavily overclocked right now, for 264 northbridge clocks you need it set to 7 or 8x

When finding out what you need your hypertransport multiplier set too, always divide your FSB by 2000, you can go +- 200mhz on the hypertransport, most people like to go slightly positive, but you should go as close as possible to 2000mhz on hyper transport
O.K. So I only need to increase CPU-NB not NB ?
And how about 45C under full load ? is it on the hot side ?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Actually the motherboard NB voltage (NB voltage, not CPU-NB voltage) can also help when raised if the FSB/Ref. Clock is high. I don't believe that 1.4v to the motherboard NB will result in any immediate damage anyway. I recommend that most up it to 1.2v and some up it to 1.3v. I have never taken my motherboard NB over 1.3v.

You may also be taking in more CPU-NB voltage than you need (i.e. you may only need 1.2-1.3v rather than 1.4v - if the CPU-NB voltage is what you raised). Remember, the CPU-NB/integrated memory controller is on the CPU so adding voltage contributes to the entire CPU temperature.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts