Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to change to voltage on this card, I'm running 12.7 beta catalyst and I've tried Msi Afterburner, but after editing the config file and selecting enable voltage control, the program comes back with no settings to change both clocks and voltage, like it can't actually read the card.
Trixx will only let me downclock the voltage, gigabytes oc utility will only let me downclock too.

I've even flashed earlier F1 and F2 bios but no luck. The bios I have is F40.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dont bother with editing the cfg file

Final8ty posted ...

Originally Posted by LtMatt;22534716
Apologies if people already know this, but ive only just discovered it and doing it this way has fixed a few of my problems with screen flicker, flash problems, and the GPU not clocking down when idle.

Two ways of overclocking with AMD 7970 cards. The official way using CCC and overdrive and the un-official way using MSI afterburner which involves editing a CFG and cutting and pasting the two dll files into the msi afterburner folder.

The problem is the un-official way throws up some problems in terms of screen flicker, especially when switching between profiles. As well as other problems. It also affects powerplay, meaning cards don't always clock down as they should.

As i recently discovered the best way to overclock is with the official method. Doing it this way you will find less problems with power play and ULPS as well as the other problems i mentioned.

The problem with the official way was the limits imposed by CCC. To get around that do the following.

1. Install the Latest Drivers.
2. Install latest MSI Afterburner. After installing afterburner you must install these clock control files. http://www.sendspace.com/file/r7jys0 & then...
3. Run atferburner once, it will promt you to restart. Restart.
4. Create a Shortcut for MSI Afterburner, place it on the desktop.
5. Right click the shortcut, click properties and in the target box add /xcl.
6. It should look like this
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" /xcl
7. Open the shortcut. It will says the CCC limits have been increased.
8. Exit afterburner and delete the shortcut. Restart.
9. Load up afterburner. Settings>tick unlock voltage control + monitoring.
10. Now you can overclock using AMD's optimal method. There are no CCC limits and you can adjust the voltage. This is SO much more stable than overclocking the Un-official way using msi afterburner.

I also found this removed the flicker problem and flash problems that AMD users have been complaining about recently.

EDIT

You shouldn't unlock overdrive in CCC using this method otherwise it might interfere with afterburner.

You can set everything with afterburner once you've done this. Clocks, volts, power level and fan control

HERE

• Rep+
Reactions: R35ervoirFox

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post, I did this but I don't need it at all, my overclocking limits in ccc were1200/1800 and I'm not even close to reaching those.
Now they are 1800/2475

I'm at 1075/1550 stable atm.

The problem is I still can not unlock voltage and until I can figure out how to unlock voltage, I'm going to be stuck at 1075/1550.
I was really hoping those files would sort out my problem, on catalyst 12.8 atm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm re-enabling ULPS by changing back all 8 entries to 1, "EnableUlps"

I had changed two dll files in the syswow64 folder to earlier versions, I've put the original newer versions back.

All I've managed to achieve is increase my overdrive limits, at no point could I ever increase voltage.

Really out of ideas now, hopefully gigabyte can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R35ervoirFox View Post

I'll install 12.6 so, is that the beta version or whql?
I've used a hacked one from guru3d I think, I've used the 12.6 WHQL and it's worked fine as well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateST View Post

I would install one or the other to prevent overriding. If you're using afterburner remember to unlock the EULA Config. Instructions can be found here
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182403
Ye messed around with that a lot and doesn't work, if trixx works for you and it will not work for me, then I have another problem than simply editing a .cfg file.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoenglish85 View Post

Is this prevalent for all Gigabyte cards?
No, most of these cards in both the reviews and on these forums seem to unlock voltage fine, but mine seems not to want to
frown.gif

I tried everything in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/a/getting-started-with-radeon-hd-7970-overclocking

again I succeed in increasing overdrive limits but the core voltage remains grey.

I also uninstalled 12.6 and reinstalled 12.8, I deleted the main amd folder and deleted all ati folders in AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming, Core Voltage remains grey.

The stock overdrive limits for this card are 1200/1650, they're unlocked again too 1800/2475

I have it stable atm 1075/1550 at 1.17v but I want to unlock voltage so I can get it too 1200/1550. I'm guessing I can do that with some voltage up to 1.25v

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:

No, most of these cards in both the reviews and on these forums seem to unlock voltage fine, but mine seems not to want to
frown.gif

I tried everything in this thread:
http://www.overclock.net/a/getting-started-with-radeon-hd-7970-overclocking
again I succeed in increasing overdrive limits but the core voltage remains grey.
I also uninstalled 12.6 and reinstalled 12.8, I deleted the main amd folder and deleted all ati folders in AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming, Core Voltage remains grey.
The stock overdrive limits for this card are 1200/1650, they're unlocked again too 1800/2475
I have it stable atm 1075/1550 at 1.17v but I want to unlock voltage so I can get it too 1200/1550. I'm guessing I can do that with some voltage up to 1.25v
GPUZ Screenshot if you would.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

I have a different BIOS version, also from what I hear clock control is fubared in 12.8
I've not had much chance to test it but memory and core clocks in amd overdrive seem totally fine, I was using 12.7 and had no problems there either. My bios is "F40".
There is an F1 and F2 which were the first two bios's I believe, which one do you have?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I haven't hit my BIOS switch so which everyone is default.
What does gpu-z say, I know F1 and F2 have the exact same numbers, but all that was changed there was the fan speed/control.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the post, I did this but I don't need it at all, my overclocking limits in ccc were1200/1800 and I'm not even close to reaching those.
Now they are 1800/2475
I'm at 1075/1550 stable atm.
The problem is I still can not unlock voltage and until I can figure out how to unlock voltage, I'm going to be stuck at 1075/1550.
I was really hoping those files would sort out my problem, on catalyst 12.8 atm.
Opps, didnt see you had a problem with TRIXX aswell. You could of just ingored the xcl bit.

When 2.2.2 or .3 came out I did what im guessing you did and changed the .cfg file straight away and the voltages options were nothing. After changed .cfg file back, unticking voltage etc it behaved 'normal' wiht the normal CCC clock limits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by inserf1 View Post

Opps, didnt see you had a problem with TRIXX aswell. You could of just ingored the xcl bit.
When 2.2.2 or .3 came out I did what im guessing you did and changed the .cfg file straight away and the voltages options were nothing. After changed .cfg file back, unticking voltage etc it behaved 'normal' wiht the normal CCC clock limits.
ye I've basically given up, at some point when I have the energy/time I'll try and make a new win 7 install on some drive and see if that works. It's probably something like avg interfering or something I can't think of. I'll just keep reading about it, hopefully I come across something that can help. Ideally though I really just want a bios that I can flash with the voltage increased.
Hopefully gigabyte release some bios's with higher volts or someone finally figures out how to edit these bios's.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts