Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got another pair of OCZ platinum. I already have 2X2gb, I'm trying to install 2 more 2gb, but it just won't take. I plug them in and when I turn the computer on there is no display, the keyboard doesn't light and I imagine the mouse won't work either. I've cleared the cmos, but it just won't work, any help? thanks.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
have you overclocked it and manually timed your ram? since you reset bios, it's probably a faulty ram. try swapping the sticks.

• Rep+
Reactions: GuilT1

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
Try each stick of RAM by itself and make sure the voltage is set where it should be.

• Rep+
Reactions: GuilT1

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Try each stick of RAM by itself and make sure the voltage is set where it should be.
+1, when you fill up all the slots you need to be meticulous about testing each stick... Your potential for faults just doubled, so test, test, test

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SWeet, I set the bios back to default, I've got all 8 gigs running now, thanks alot. I tried to set my ram back to 1066mhz in the bios, which it auto configs, and that don't work. Cpuz shows my ram at 400mhz, does this mean I can't get 1066mhz because I am using four sticks?

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
You might just have one of those mobo's that can't do it. When I was looking at AMD setups a few months ago, there were a lot of mobo's that would only support 1066 with two sticks or 2GB or 4GBs. So maybe your board is one of those?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie1337
View Post

You might just have one of those mobo's that can't do it. When I was looking at AMD setups a few months ago, there were a lot of mobo's that would only support 1066 with two sticks or 2GB or 4GBs. So maybe your board is one of those?

This was initially a limitation (restriction) of the PII 940 and the Mobo BIOS... and created a whole lot of disappointed OC'ers...

AMD initially stated that when RAM is running at 1066, each memory controller could only address one stick of ram. This was most prevelant on Mobo's with the 790 chipset, which you have.

Some, but not all Mobo Manfacturers have addressed it with a bios update. Other OC'ers have come up with work arounds to OC the ram to the 1066, but the success rate is dependant on the Mobo.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,451 Posts
Are you using a Windows running 64bit?? Make sure its 64bit in order to read over 4gigs of RAM.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Already, you're touching on something I don't know how to do. I may be mildly ******ed. I usually just go into the bios and set it at 1066mhz, easy as that. Aside from that, which I already tried, I'm pretty useless.

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
It's a fact that not all 790GX boards can support 8GB @ 1066MHz. Sounds like your's is one of them. Pushing your RAM passed what BIOS reverts it to might be too much stress to run stable.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems the best I can get is 460Mhz each stick. Ah well, close enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts