Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

really hoping someone can help with this, I've tried googling and doing all that is recommended online but I cant sort it.

On my girlfriends PC, each time we try and install something, including drivers, games and software the following error message occurs and you cant continue with the installation....

I looked online and it says to rename the installshield folder, amongst other things, and I just cant seem to find a fix.

system specs are as follows :-

Athlon 64 X2 AM2 6000+ stock no overclock
4gb Ram
Biostar GF7025-M2
Windows 7 Home 64bit (installed within last week)

not sure what else you guys mite need in order to offer a solution so if I've missed anything plz just ask,

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Open the task manager and look for some "msi.exe" process, if you find some one kill it , reboot the rig and try again.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
The "msi.exe" process is the Windows Installer Component, when you start to install something (driver, program, game), the OS run a "msi.exe" process, but if the installation process of the gam, driver or program that you are trying to install find another "msi.exe" process already running, means that you have another installation in progress, even, if you don't have it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm interesting, certainly makes sense that the computer thinks there is another installation in process despite the fact there isn't.

There were no drivers (that I'm aware) that didn't install,
Although, for ease, I opted to allow windows to provide drivers for everything except the graphics card. Its only recently as I've tried installing games and additional drivers that I've realised nothing will install.

Would running in safemode and deleting installshield help at all ?
Then reboot and see if there's msi.exe running ? if it is close it,

then try to install again ?

could it be a currupt install exe from a game that has caused it, as it seemed to conincide with a certain game failing to install.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I know that this is an insane idea, but, can you post an screen shot of your task manager?

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Stop wauclt.exe and stop the Antivirus service while you install the driver.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its actually a game I'm trying to install now, just took the initial screen a couple of days ago when trying to install a driver.

will it still apply?

tier, already deleted it, but thanks for your reply m8

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********;12056335
Get rid of AVG and install Avast Free Antivirus.
How does this help?
The OP wants the "solution to a problem"
not "fanboi propoganda"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Any chance you've checked out Event Viewer to see if any more details regarding the errors are showing under the System or Application logs?

I wouldn't be surprised if some Windows file got corrupted... A system file check couldn't hurt. That can be done by running a command prompt as admin and then entering the following: Sfc /scannow. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tier
View Post

Any chance you've checked out Event Viewer to see if any more details regarding the errors are showing under the System or Application logs?

I wouldn't be surprised if some Windows file got corrupted... A system file check couldn't hurt. That can be done by running a command prompt as admin and then entering the following: Sfc /scannow. Let us know the results.

I've not had chance to get back on the computer the last 2 nights,
When I next get the chance I'll post the results on here,

Altho I think last time I did the sfc /scannow it seemed to come up with a further list of options, rather than a results overview....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts