Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I've been repeatedly trying to install windows 8 on my i7 rig, but I can't. So, I insert the disk in my computer, I boot from it, I see the blue windows 8 logo, it loads a bit, and then I get a black screen. The screen is on, not in standby mode, keyboard works (caps lock light works when I press the button). I tried the other DVI port and the HDMI port on my GPU, nothing. I used the intergrated GPU, nothing. I waited for about 3 hours at that screen, but I got nothing. I removed all RAM sticks but one (tried all of them separately), I removed the CPU overclock. Also, I tried using a bootable USB Flash drive. I'm literally out of options here. Any help would be much appreciated!

SUM-UP:
After many suggestions and attempts, the problem remains.
I'll sum up here what I've ruled out with the help of others, so new ideas can flow.
First of all, the problem is a bsod with an unknown code, just before Windows 8's language selection screen.

What I've done and ruled out:

1. It's not the installation media. Attempts have been made with a lot of dvds, different copies of Windows (all of which have previously been successfully installed on other computers, even uefi ones) , bootable USB drives and uefi bootable drives.
2. It's not a faulty HDD. I've tried with only one SSD or HDD plugged in. Even if there are no disks on the system, installation does not start.
3. It's not bad ram. I've used one each one DIMMs at a time, and also another dimm from a system which works fine with 8.1
4. It's not something embedded on the motherboard. I replaced my old asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 with a Gigabyte Z77X - UD3H.
5. It's probably not the GPU. I've attempted to run the installation using the HD4000, a Nvidia 210, a 9500GT and a x1650 pro. My 7950 have some issues lately, but that's something else entirely.
6. It's probably not the cpu. I have not tested another one, but others have pointed that if it was damaged, it wouldn't post. Disabling cores or HT didn't work. Bumping the voltages as per pointed out didn't work. (The system is not over clocked while running the installation.)
7. It's not AHCI drivers. I've mode doesn't work as well.
8. It's not the PSU, which works perfect with overclocks on both the CPU and the GPU on Windows 7.

Also, please don't try to convince me not to install 8. I'm not a fan of Windows 8. The problem is that my Windows 7 throws SSL errors, rendering my pc incapable of connecting to any HTTPS website.

I'm very sad and disappointed, because I've spent thousands of euros on this computer over the years, and it simply doesn't work.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,684 Posts
Try booting into the installer on another computer, just to make sure the disc you are using actually works.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post

Try booting into the installer on another computer, just to make sure the disc you are using actually works.
I did. And actually it was another Asrock Board with UEFI and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasospaok123 View Post

Hello everybody. I've been repeatedly trying to install windows 8 on my i7 rig, but I can't. So, I insert the disk in my computer, I boot from it, I see the blue windows 8 logo, it loads a bit, and then I get a black screen. The screen is on, not in standby mode, keyboard works (caps lock light works when I press the button). I tried the other DVI port and the HDMI port on my GPU, nothing. I used the intergrated GPU, nothing. I waited for about 3 hours at that screen, but I got nothing. I removed all RAM sticks but one (tried all of them separately), I removed the CPU overclock. Also, I tried using a bootable USB Flash drive. I'm literally out of options here. Any help would be much appreciated!
Can you install any other O.S. on the computer? Like Windows 7 perhaps?

If you can install Windows 7 without using a product key first and then insert the Windows 8 disk and start the installation from inside Windows 7.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post

If you can install Windows 7 without using a product key first and then insert the Windows 8 disk and start the installation from inside Windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post

I tried that too. I have windows 7 installed and tried the "upgrade" method. Unfortunately, after 1 hour of preparing, it restarted, did the same thing, and I had to restart the computer, only to get a "windows installation failed - recovering old settings" message.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wipe it out with linux first (ie install linux first and try again)?

Or put the HDD into another computer (disconnect from internet) and install the image and continue the installation afterwards on the original computer? So long as it wasn't connected to the internet it shouldn't activate anything, so your key shouldn't be used, but don't take my word for it lol. This way you have the win image on the drive, and it should reconfigure itself on the original hardware afterwards. Just install with the same BIOS/UEFI settings though.

Both are poor suggestions though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:

I tried that too. I have windows 7 installed and tried the "upgrade" method. Unfortunately, after 1 hour of preparing, it restarted, did the same thing, and I had to restart the computer, only to get a "windows installation failed - recovering old settings" message.
Was this done with a DVI or VGA connection?

Don't use HDMI.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:

It was a DVI to HDMI cable. My monitor has no DVI inputs.
If that is the case,mMake use of a DVI to DVI connection or a VGA to VGA connection. It's a well know black screen issue dating back to Windows 7. Apparently it's still in Windows.
frown.gif

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a long time but I've made some progress. I've contacted Asrock explaining my issue and what I've tried and they sent me a new bios chip. Installing that didn't solve the problem. I honestly thought that that was the issue. Any 'extreme' ideas? This has clearly gone too far.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:

It's been a long time but I've made some progress. I've contacted Asrock explaining my issue and what I've tried and they sent me a new bios chip. Installing that didn't solve the problem. I honestly thought that that was the issue. Any 'extreme' ideas? This has clearly gone too far.
Do what grss1982 suggested. Stop using hdmi and just connect the monitor to the PC using a normal VGA or DVI cabel. Good luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

Do what grss1982 suggested. Stop using hdmi and just connect the monitor to the PC using a normal VGA or DVI cabel. Good luck!
I am using a VGA cable. I tried the HDMI connection as an alternative! I also got a new GPU since then
tongue.gif

It's been that long..

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion View Post

You pretty much already did when you said W7 installs.
But your motherboard bios should have the option for legacy mode.

Call GB and ask if the card supports GOP/UEFI.
One would think it would being a major manafacturer on a high end card.. But it could always be this.
At first it sounded like a dodgy CD or iso, maybe try re-downloading incase for some reason the specific driver (Generic driver) that it needs for some reason is crashing it. That is all I can think of seeing as Windows 7 installs (it's basically the same as windows 8 I'd imagine).

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

One would think it would being a major manafacturer on a high end card.. But it could always be this.
At first it sounded like a dodgy CD or iso, maybe try re-downloading incase for some reason the specific driver (Generic driver) that it needs for some reason is crashing it. That is all I can think of seeing as Windows 7 installs (it's basically the same as windows 8 I'd imagine).
Yeah this as well, NIC, WIFI, card readers, basically any non essential peripheral devices need to be disconnected.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion View Post

Yeah this as well, NIC, WIFI, card readers, basically any non essential peripheral devices need to be disconnected.
Yep, it sounds like it could be a display driver maybe? Then again he's using a GPU and the iGPU so one of those should work..
It may just be a dodgy copy/ISO, where did the OP get it from?
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts