Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, was less than pleased with my CoolerMaster V8, not only in performance, but also in the looks department. Handed it to off to a friend and am back on stock cooling, which also means no oc. I'm wanting a new cooler and can't make up my mind. Also some fan suggestions to go with it would be nice.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Yeah, the v8's price to performance is pretty poor IMO.
Go with the Ven X or Megahalem. Pair it with a Panaflo 120x38 (also sold under the brand Rexus on Newegg)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
We need a budget to help you out.
Mugen 2 and Dark Knight are good budget coolers.
If price is no issue, Venemous-X or Megahalems would be best cooling.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Megahalems for slower fans, venomous x for higher speed fans. Good fan for the megahalems would be some gentle typhoons for lower noise but good performance. A good fan for the venomous x would be a panaflo 38mm. If your looking for a budget solution, the scythe mugen 2 is an excellent choice and only performs a few degrees behind the megahalems and venomous x for half the cost.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at the Guide Pufnstuf, but still...pretty indecisive haha. Budget wise, I'd cap it at 60 for the cooler itself, I don't mind spending extra for the fans. The H50 has been an idea I've been flirting with, but if I'm gonna do watercooling, I'm going for a "true" loop, and that's a few months off. I've been looking at the VX, a little worried about the "wobble" that people have been experiencing. Would the 1366 bracket that came with my V8 (about the nicest thing that came with the cooler IMO) work with others? I have all dimm slots filled, so not sure if clearance with any of the coolers is going to be an issue either.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nawtheph
View Post

I've been looking at the Guide Pufnstuf, but still...pretty indecisive haha. Budget wise, I'd cap it at 60 for the cooler itself, I don't mind spending extra for the fans. The H50 has been an idea I've been flirting with, but if I'm gonna do watercooling, I'm going for a "true" loop, and that's a few months off. I've been looking at the VX, a little worried about the "wobble" that people have been experiencing. Would the 1366 bracket that came with my V8 (about the nicest thing that came with the cooler IMO) work with others? I have all dimm slots filled, so not sure if clearance with any of the coolers is going to be an issue either.

Well if you're worried about the wobble, go with the Megahalem... pretty much identical temps and the mounting mechanism is downright amazing. As for the clearance issue, you'll probably have that with both the VX and Megahalem if you use a 120x38...

Refer to the guide in my signature for the solution though

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Megahalem is growing on me, so it's probably going to be that. As far as fan's, would a push/pull be more beneficial than a single fan? I've been looking at the GentleTyphoon's...there's a broad range of 'em, any suggested rpm I should be looking for?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Get a Megahalems or a VenomusX, those are the best coolers out right now! You could go with the H50 if you put some nice fans on it, but a small custom water setup would be even better!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well the Megahalem is growing on me, so it's probably going to be that. As far as fan's, would a push/pull be more beneficial than a single fan? I've been looking at the GentleTyphoon's...there's a broad range of 'em, any suggested rpm I should be looking for?

i think you are looking at a few degree decrease with a push/pull setup. an improvement, but nothing mindblowing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznricer112
View Post

i think you are looking at a few degree decrease with a push/pull setup. an improvement, but nothing mindblowing.

Well being that I'm in a Cosmos...a few degrees is lovely.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quote:

"Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-II cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2000 model has already won our Editors Choice Award for value, and it consistently finishes at the very top" -

Benchmark Reviews

Interesting

The Scythe Mugen 2 is still the best value.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shameless bump I know. Anyway, ordered my Megahalem and a few GentleTyphoon's. Should be here in about a week or so. Looking forward to getting it set up!

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Shameless bump I know. Anyway, ordered my Megahalem and a few GentleTyphoon's. Should be here in about a week or so. Looking forward to getting it set up!

Well with high density fins, you tend to want 120x38 fans for the high static pressure... however, seeing as though you went with 120x25s, you'll definitely benefit from the push/pull

Enjoy your cooler!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by killa_concept
View Post

Well with high density fins, you tend to want 120x38 fans for the high static pressure... however, seeing as though you went with 120x25s, you'll definitely benefit from the push/pull

Enjoy your cooler!

Thanks! I can't wait for it to get here. Leaving a 920 at stock clocks seems like a crime against the community.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks! I can't wait for it to get here. Leaving a 920 at stock clocks seems like a crime against the community.

Yep - and the punishment would have been to hand it over to someone who would lovingly abuse it and push it to it's limits (i.e me
)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts