Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 4 computers at my work and only one of them can find the network printer!!!

My computer is connected by the IPv6 fe80::221:5aff:fe92:2982%9
It's an Advanced TCP/IP Port Monitor. The port number is 9100.
Thats the working comp!!!

So Basically right now I am sharing the printer and it's working, but it the other comps keep droping the printer so I need to figure out why they cant find it on the network.

Network information from the printer is like this:
Status- Connected
Host Name- NPI922982
Hardware Address- 00215A922982
Link Speed/Duplex- 100TX Full
IPv4- 192.168.1.100
IP Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
IP Default Gateway- 192.168.1.1
IP configured by- Manual
DHCP/BOOTP Server- 0.0.0.0
WINS Server- 68.87.78.130
IPv6 FE80:0:0:0:221:5AFF:FE92:2982

It's an HP Laserjet P2035n and its all networked through a D-link 16 port switch!!

I could really use some help!! The disk wont work and I have tried finding it by IP, and the Hardware address. I am out of ideas!!!

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Most standalone networked printers are installed as a local printer using a TCP/IP port; what windows typically refers to as a network printer is a printer that is directly connected to a different PC on your network (e.g. a server rig).

Try installing it as follows:
- open the add printer wizard
- when prompted select local printer
- where it wants you to select the port, select create port and in the drop-down choose standard TCP/IP port
- in the new window enter the IP address of the printer and specify a name for the new port
- next it will search for the drivers or you can point it to where you have downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer's website

·

29,532 Posts
It sounds like you're not using IPv6. Try to specify the printer IP like this:
::192.168.0.100

Is there a reason as to why you're not running IPv4?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I didn't set it up that way, the disk actually did. It is running off the IPv6, but if I try to find the printer by the IPv4 it doesn't show up. It will only show up to the one working computer if I use the installation disk. Would that cause a problem if the computer is contacting it through the IPv6?

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
First off disable IPv6, you don't need it in a local Lan environment.

You can do this, by going to:
Start/Orb > Network Connections......... > Right-click connection > Properties > Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) > Hit Ok
.................Network And Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > Right-click network adapter > Properties > Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) > Ok

Assuming that you are using Vista or 7, click the Devices and Printers, Right Click Printer, click Printer Properties, click the sharing tab, click Share this printer box, put in desired share name.

Nevermind, I see you are using a true network printer. Let me try to find the manual and read it up to see if I can find out what is wrong with it.

Login to the Printer, go to the Networking tab, IPv6 Configuration, Click the Enable checkbox to make sure it is disabled. Now go to the IPv4 tab. Click DHCP and try having it get a new IP. See if you can add it to a computer then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts