Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I cannot overclock at all even with the built in D.O.T bios setting. Would prefer not to use that and just make changes manually in bios. I have read that the E8200 should reach 3200 at 400 fsb and memory at 800 with ease but even trying a fsb increase of only 10 to 343 and the pc wont boot, I have to restart 4 times then a screen appears saying last overclock failed hit any key to enter bios where all settings have defaulted.
Have attached bios screens and cpuid screens. In bios if I disable the SPD ram setting the timings are different to what cpuid shows, not really sure of timings meanings, tried putting 5.5.5.18 in bios and still wont boot with any overclock although it did if not overclocked.
It was the same with the previous memory, I had 2 gb Kingston couldn't overclock and have just replaced with 4 gb.
Am I overlooking something really simple or does it look like some hardware problem?
The pc as is by the way runs ok, no crashes blue screens etc.
Hope someone can help

Bob

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I assume you are referring to voltages, I have tried the cpu voltage at up to 1.3 volts but still no boot when overclocking even with just a minimal 10 increase to the fsb.
As I said the D.O.T in bios is MSI's dynamic overclocking utility which only increases clock as needed but even that will not boot on lowest setting of a 1% increase which I would imagine wouldn't need any voltage increase.
I am new to overclocking but I got interested by reading of some who have inreased the E8200 to 3200ghz by upping fsb to 400 alone on stock cooling and no other changes.
Regarding voltage, if my ram is rated at 1.8 volts is that the maximum you can apply as I have seen other posts where ram is being run at over 2 volts.
Thanks

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
im not on an E8200, so im hopinh some of the E8200 owners will chime in here

as for the memory, if its rated at 1.8, i would try to get the highest possible oc without going over 1.8v, and if after that you're ready to push further, increase it. generally, you don't want to go over the rated voltage, as it will decrease the longevity of your components, and this is true for all components such as the cpu, gpu, ram, etc...

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
e8200 owner here, and mine hit 3.2ghz with very little effort. It could be that something on your system doesn't like abnormal fsb settings. Try changing the fsb to 366 or 400. Also, I wouldn't just jump your cpu voltage up to 1.3 to start with. My VID is 1.225, quite a bit higher than yours, and I only took 1.275 to be stable at 3.2ghz.

See if the system will post at 366x8 with stock voltages. If not, see if the system will post at 400x6, or 366x7, to see if it's something other than your cpu that's having a hard time. Both of those settings will be lower than stock speed, and in theory shouldn't give you any problems.

Make sure your memory isn't set to Auto, if it is, you're going to be over your ram's 800 rating and that could easily be the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
When I see a CPU not able to overclock at all, it is usually due to the ram being run out of spec. Direct increase of the FSB also increases the ram speed, so it is important to lower the memory divider to run the ram at a lower speed. When OCing, I tend to lower the divider so that the ram is at its lowest speed. Then I can be sure my FSB increase is only pushing the CPU and not the ram. Then once I have a stable CPU OC, I will change the memory divider so that the ram runs as close to rated speeds as possible. Then from there, I will try to OC the ram if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions,
have tried lowering the cpu multiplier to 7 and 7.5 at 400 and 375 fsb with memory set to 1:1 and no boot.

Regarding the memory divider the only options I get are auto, 1:1 and 1:1.2 and the memory is dynamically linked to the fsb, so I am unsure how or what figure I should be looking for in the ram speed box except it shouldn't go over 800.
The memory is rated at 1.8 volts +/- .1 and I noticed in bios it is defaulting to 1.9 volts. I have just lowered that to 1.8 in bios and tried 375x8 giving 3000
with memory at 1:1 showing 750, still no boot.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no joy,
there must be some solution to this surely,
to not be able to increase FSB just one increment when the motherboard has overclocking features and the E820 can be overclocked.
been trying over a week now with allsorts of different settings.
have flashed bios to latest version and swapped 2gb ram for 4gb ram but still the pc will not boot if I attempt any form of overclocking.
Any more ideas please.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Did you test a higher fsb with the cpu running at lower than stock speeds? 400x6 or 366x7 you should be able to do just fine, with ram set 1:1 to keep it at or below stock speeds. If you can't boot on either of those settings, your motherboard might have a problem with high fsb settings, and you may need a different board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakageta View Post
Did you test a higher fsb with the cpu running at lower than stock speeds? 400x6 or 366x7
Just tried those settings and both will not boot, just the same no beeps, nothing on screen.

Have tried same removing one RAM stick to take it out of dual channel mode but still no boot.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Well I never had any luck on the lower end chipsets such as G31/P31 or anything else with integrated graphics as far as overclocking goes. Have you tried bumping up your northbridge voltage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardly
View Post

Have you tried bumping up your northbridge voltage?

Default at 1.250, have tried all increments upto 1.350 where the number turns white indicating high performance setting, but still no boot,

Though this would be easy reading what others have done with the E8200,
my last overclock must be nearly 20 years ago on a 486 and that was easy.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
If your system won't boot with both your ram and cpu at or below stock speeds and a higher fsb, you're probably going to need another board. It's possible your board does fine overclocking a cpu from a 200 or 266 fsb, but 333 is as high as it'll handle.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Just because it has up to 600mhz fsb as an option doesn't mean it's capable of anywhere near that... With the cpu at 400x6, ram at 1:1 and pcie locked to 100, everything is running at or below the stock speed except the northbridge. You may have an fsb hole where it doesn't play nice, but anything higher than 400 fsb and you'll start overclocking your ram, adding another variable into the equation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I think you are all right about the motherboard, I have put a Q9400 in there running fine but still will not boot with just a 1mhz overclock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts