Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't overclock at all. I have a Northwood 2.8GHz, OCZ (Platinum I think it is) DDR400 2-3-2-5 RAM, and well, you can just look at my specs lol

Anyway, I can't go over 205MHz FSB. I'm thinking its my powersupply. But I dont see how it could suck bad enough to not be able to give my vcore what I tell it to, even at stock settings.

CPU-z reports my vcore to be between 1.49-1.51. I have it at 1.55 in my BIOS.

Could this be a motherboard problem? Can my powersupply suck that bad? Its 400w with 18A on the +12V rail (I can look at the rest of the rails if you need them)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Check for updates through MSI to see if they have flash updates for the BIOS or anything. I flashed mine because it didn't have support for the fourth CPU fan pin when I got it... Everything looks like it should be good. It could be the PSU but I would look through the motherboard manual and check for any updates before buying another.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i dont think it is power supply....becuase i have a generic 350W power supply and i overlcokc just fine and my specs are better than yours so i need more power...i do not think it is that....maybe temps? mobo cannot go much higher?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Try loosening your RAM timings, up your vdimm a notch, and lock your AGP/PCI ratio at 66/33. I wouldn't expect your PSU is an issue at this point, though with a decent OC along with pushing the GPU may cause issues. I strongly suspect that the difference in vcore between your BIOS and Windows is just an issue with how the voltages are read and not an issue with the PSU itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like everyone said before, I don't think the trouble lies in your PSU. If you look at my specs they are almost the same as yours and I have 400 W too. My motherboard is the current bottleneck but it can reach 240 FSB max, 235 stable. I even thought I had the worst mobo out there, but yours looks quite disappointing, maybe it is failing in some way
. Do you have any reference of other people overclocks with the same mobo as yours?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts