Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a problem that i dont understand. I got a 785GM-S3 to overclock my opteron 1381 2.5Ghz, but i cant overclock higher than 2.8ghz. The system was very unstable when i overclocked to 2.8 ghz and it was idling around 47*. Changing the voltage didnt help at all. there are a bunch of other settings didnt change because i dont know any of them or what they do. Help?

·
AMD Overclocker
154 Posts
Some more information might help.

What RAM are you using, how many sticks and at what speed are they operating at?
What speed is the HT running at?
If applicable: is there any LLC profile running?
How are you overclocking? Multiplier or FSB?
Do you have adequate cooling for both the CPU and VRMs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have 1 stick of 2gb 1333 ddr3 ram and 1 stick 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram (both overclocked to 1760mhz), the speed of HT is set to auto, there is no llc profile in the bios menu, im overclocking through FSB, i stressed the cpu at stock frequency, max temps were 57 celcius

·
AMD Overclocker
154 Posts
The Opteron 1381 is rated at 2200MHz HT, while the AsRock mobo you are using states a stock 2600MHz HT. That may be one issue if you have the setting on Auto. If you can I would manually set all values for stability.

Overclocking via FSB is a little more finicky than using the Multiplier. Generally you have to up the voltage on the HT and the VCore.

This also could be RAM instability. Using different capacity DIMMS can, but not always, cause issues when overclocking. DDR3 1333Mhz is the highest supported frequency of that Opteron. That doesn't mean you can't go beyond 1333MHz, but you can't rule it out. Are you increasing the voltage of the DIMMs when overclocking?

·
AMD Overclocker
154 Posts
I forgot to throw this in: CPUs have FSB "dead spots." 201 and 202MHz may be okay, then 203 will not work. But then 204 would work. It doesn't go exactly like that, but certain FSB values are impossible to make stable by any means.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have 1 stick of 2gb 1333 ddr3 ram and 1 stick 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram (both overclocked to 1760mhz), the speed of HT is set to auto, there is no llc profile in the bios menu, im overclocking through FSB, i stressed the cpu at stock frequency, max temps were 57 celcius

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woops, sorry about that last reply, with the ram, one of the motherboard features are ram overclocking, im not sure how it works with my opteron and after stressing the ram enough, the ram sticks after overclocking were copletely stable, about the dead spots, i tried overclocking to 3 ghz, but that didnt work at all, with the HT, i will change that right now to see if it works and with the fsb overclocking, changing the voltage made the overclock to 2.7ghz (which works) sometimes even worse, but ill see if it changes anything after i change the ht speed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, after changing the ht multiplier and buss speed, the computer won't boot or post now. I tried cmos reset, reputting the ram and even changing CPU, but no signal comes, the GPU fans don't start spinining. Help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts