Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried but she's NOT gonna work

I ran the stock setup with AI NOW first off...jsut so see what it does. Which...is nothing. I went from 2401 to 2407MHz
Keep in mind im stock at 2.4

So I did the manual thing. Run my multiplier at 12x which is stock....couldnt get a stable OC. So I decided to go with the ever so awesome 9x miutiplier. Surely....I can BOOT with 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.75, and 2.82GHz....BUT....Only if my ram in on 100MHz :S So even when I am there....it'll only read at 315MHz total .... That wont fly

So....I decided to do ONE last thing.....

Overclock the CPU to 2.8GHz. Done.
Booted into Windows. Done
Run CPUZ to check clock speed. Done
Run Orthos to prime it. Failed

Crappy thing is.... It failed in UNDER 15 seconds, and rebooted my computer on me

Im guessing.......crappy Stepping? Crappy whatever?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
are you overclocking in BIOS or w/ a program? you should be able to get just a little bit out of that 4600 i'd say.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im goin by the BIOS. I have never used a program for overclocking :S

I just wanna hit 2.7-2.8 and keep my RAM close to 400MHz. I dont care if it's 380-390.....but it'd be nice ot hit 400 on the OC

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
ok ok ok. i don't like asus motherboards but i'll help. try these settings.

CPU multi 9x
HTT 312
Memory Divider 133 (.67)
PCIE Clock 108 MHz
vcore 1.55v (keep on going up all the way to 1.6v if it fails, if it hits 1.6v and nothing happens, just drop it off)
northbridge voltage 1.65v
memory voltage 2.8v

see what happens.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I honestly tinker with the voltages? I mean this is BRAND new stuff dude. Under a month of use. Should I just run an OC of 2.6 for a lil while...break her in....then go to 2.7 and then raise the voltages.... er just pour it all on her

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distraught_Youth
View Post

Should I honestly tinker with the voltages? I mean this is BRAND new stuff dude. Under a month of use. Should I just run an OC of 2.6 for a lil while...break her in....then go to 2.7 and then raise the voltages.... er just pour it all on her

Okay to tweak your volt but just watch your CPU temps.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if you look on the screen shot...Im currently at 32 degrees
And these were "hot" chips. I redid the thermal paste, and used my thoughts on my fan placement with the "intake exhaust" and it's workin great

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distraught_Youth View Post
Yeah definately. I dont wanna shock this system until I have enough for a new one

pfft. it won't hurt your system. if it won't boot, just hit the cmos reset button....that simple. you can't really damage your computer by overclocking unless you put some major heat/voltage to it....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty. I booked off work early so Im here for the weekend. Here's what I did. I raised the FSB to 226 running at a 12x multiplier. Popped me at 2.7 and change. RAM divider is 133 which now goves me ever sho crappy DDR 301

The CPU is where I want it to be......RAM is blah

BTW....Voltages are not touched. I dont need to

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice background.

Eventually you'll want to up the vcore. What cooling do you have?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm also off work and this is what I did today....well first of all my pc sits by a window in a big closet...I built a stud wall 21 inches from the window and covered it with 2 inch thick celotex type insulation. A bit of weatherstripping around the 2x4s. 25 dollars later my pc is very cold and I can be warm sitting a few feet away...cpu is 23 c and video card 10 c right now
I'll be here
....and could I up my vcore somehow? Sounds like it could make everything a bit faster

·
Registered
847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ny_driver
View Post

I'm also off work and this is what I did today....well first of all my pc sits by a window in a big closet...I built a stud wall 21 inches from the window and covered it with 2 inch thick celotex type insulation. A bit of weatherstripping around the 2x4s. 25 dollars later my pc is very cold and I can be warm sitting a few feet away...cpu is 23 c and video card 10 c right now
I'll be here
....and could I up my vcore somehow? Sounds like it could make everything a bit faster

Make sure you don't get condensation. Outside air will also have some moisture in it. If you're going to do that, get a dehumidifier and make sure you guard your CPU against condensation. I have my computer in my unheated basement so I'm in about 15C lol. Its cold, but I wear a jacket so I survive. Besides, my PC's heat warms me up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well.....here's what happened. Im currently @ 2.7GHz with my ram at DDR 416

Im on TOTALLY stock cooling but Im in a cold room. Under full load...I hit 35 degrees on my CPU.....Good?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts