Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only GPU I currently have is a XFX GT640 4GB and it runs very cool as it only draws something like 60 watts. I would like to overvolt it by flashing an edited VBIOS.
I used keppler bios tweaker v1.25 (other versions don't work) to edit the bios. There are only 2 power states on the card. I can successfully change the lower power state voltage and everything works fine but I cannot change the higher power state voltage at all, if I do the card is not detected even after reinstalling drivers and I only get output on one display.
So currently I have the card running at 1.112v on idle at 324MHZ and running at 1.1v under load at 1045MHZ.
Is there any way I could successfully edit this VBIOS?

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,768 Posts
Are you pulling to much from the PCIe slot?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you pulling to much from the PCIe slot?
GT640's rated power draw is 65W and pcie can give 75W I am reading. Still doesn't explain why the card's bios would refuse to let me change the voltage on that particular power state in this first place.

No idea why the slider won't work. You could try editing the bios in Maxwell BIOS tweaker to see if if works there.
Maxwell Bios tweaker gives the same error as other versions of Keppler bios tweaker. Is there any other way I can edit the Vbios, maybe manually edit it somehow?
Rectangle Product Font Material property Screenshot

·
Rig Advisor
4,315 Posts
Keplar and Maxwell tweakers ARE how you manually edit the vBIOS. I suppose you could try to find some .txt program that could read the .rom, but I doubt you or anyone would want to comb through that much code even if you found one. Doubtful you would even be able to accurately figure out which line correlated to what setting.

·
Rig Advisor
4,315 Posts
Keplar and Maxwell tweakers ARE how you manually edit the vBIOS. I suppose you could try to find some .txt program that could read the .rom, but I doubt you or anyone would want to comb through that much code even if you found one. Doubtful you would even be able to accurately figure out which line correlated to what setting.
Upload your stock vBIOS .rom to this page in a .zip folder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting the same errors as you. I will try to find a replacement bios on the tech powerup site. Did you save the STOCK vbios?
That is the stock VBIOS. Only thing that doesn't give errors is kepler bios tweaker v1.25

Send me the old12.rom file.
Here is the old12.rom where the lower power state voltage is changed easyupload.io
Here is one where the higher power state voltage is changed (doesn't work) easyupload.io

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P0 is your max boost state, P8 is everything else.

I increased the P0 to it's max of 1212.5mV. See if it works.

Same thing happened, outputs to only 1 display, display is cut from corners and card isn't properly detected
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

1 - 18 of 18 Posts