Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried removing every screw and even a little amount of force, yet i cant remove the heat-sink. I want to re-apply the thermal paste.

Any guide? IT seems impossible to remove. Ive seen it removed online, but they dosent show how they remove them.

Im using this version.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
It just might be that the paste is stuck on well, what I'd suggest is run Furmark or OCCT GPU Test for 10 minutes, shut down, take off the screws, but this time kind of slightly twist and pull up on the HSF, dont use too much force.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
did you remove the screws on the pci slot (if they are there, not all cards have them)?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you are certain that you have removed every screw that holds the heatsink to the card, then it is just the old themal paste sticking them together. When I took apart my gtx480, I had the same problem. Just keep trying to pull them apart but be very careful. When I finally got my card and heatsink separated, I almost dropped the card on the floor.

·
Iconoclast
30,429 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
did you remove the screws on the pci slot (if they are there, not all cards have them)?
This.

Check for screws on the PCI-E bracket, or anywhere else you may have missed.

If you are positive you have got them all, the heatsink should come off with a bit of wiggling. Warming the card first may help.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But i will be voiding the warranty right? ..

Im afraid
wish me luck guys.

FOR OCN!

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy^^Red View Post
But i will be voiding the warranty right? ..
Not sure about Zotac, but for most, removing the HSF does not automatically void it, but it can be used a reason by some, and if you break anything while removing it, then the warranty will definatly not cover it, no matter who makes it.

edit: well, per their warranty page:

Quote:
Extended Warranty Details
• The ultimate in quality, service, support and reliability
• Extra product protection with product registration
• Product must be registered within 14 days of purchase
• Motherboard or Graphics Card must not be damaged/tampered with by user
• Serial number and unique identification sticker must not be tampered, damaged or removed
• Original receipt is required for extended warranty service
• Customer seeking warranty service must be the first owner of the product
• Mini-PCs and accessories are excluded from Extended Warranty service
sounds like if they think you removed the HSF, they can void the warranty.

2nd edit: but THIS page on their site says:

Quote:
For our retail Graphics Processing Unit and Mainboard products that carry a limited lifetime warranty, and were purchased on or after January 1st, 2008, ZOTAC will provide a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product. This will secure that the product will not experience defects, in material or workmanship that will adversely affect its performance. This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

All ZOTAC products purchased on or after January 1, 2008, MUST be registered within 30 days of the ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive a limited lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 2 years limited warranty.)
Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Model number sticker(s) on ANY ZOTAC products WILL void ALL warranties.
The Limited Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Processing Units and mainboard products only. *(Replacement products will carry the same limited lifetime warranty as your original purchase and must be re-registered within 30 days of shipping date of replacement product.)
Removal and or Defacing of any sticker(s) (SKU number/part number/serial number) on ANY ZOTAC products WILL void ALL warranties.
There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset or components that are caused by improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of aftermarket cooling installation, and or water damage of any kind.
All defective products approved by customer service and sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including a copy of this document will be returned to the customer at the customer's expense).
Products sent in and received by ZOTAC for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product of equal or greater value.
ZOTAC will cover all return shipping back to the customer for the RMA replacement in the same shipping.
ZOTAC does not offer a refund. Refund claims need to be processed through the original vendor that sold the product according to the terms and conditions of the vendors return policy.
The product MUST be returned to ZOTAC in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed prior to sending in the product for repair or replacement.
ZOTAC USA reserves the right to inspect and verify the defects of any product(s) returned and further reserves the right to claim for shipping fees and a service charge from the customer for any product returned incomplete or modified if product requires repair or replacement or when the customer is not entitled to any coverage under this limited lifetime warranty.
The ZOTAC limited lifetime warranty is only eligible for products purchased in the USA or Canada.
ZOTAC does not ship replacements to PO Box addresses.
ZOTAC will cover all return shipping back to our US and Canadian customers for the RMA replacement with free ground shipping through UPS in the United States and free FedEx Ground shipping to Canadian Customers.*
Customers located at military addresses (APO, etc) addresses, or outside the United States or Canada, will be responsible for return shipping.*
ZOTAC and or ZOTAC USA is not responsible for loss, damage, or shipping charges to our RMA Center.
This page makes it sould like there is no issue with removing the stock HSF (and even aftermarket/water cooling) unless you damage the card in the process.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys. I finally did it

So i just replace the thermal paste with my MX-2.

After installing the card, i straight away ran ATI tool and scan for artifacts. In less then 3 minutes, my temps reaches 102 and my system automatically shuts down.

I assume my thermal paste takes time to sattle down right?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:

After installing the card, i straight away ran ATI tool and scan for artifacts. In less then 3 minutes, my temps reaches 102 and my system automatically shuts down.

At 102c, you probably didn't apply the paste correctly lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Serious? I did apply it properly .___. Maybe it takes time for the thermal paste to really work?

it works like the CPU dosent it ... :S

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:

All thermal paste settles, but only on the order of 2-3C... yank the card, and remount the HSF, cause something is VERY wrong.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Your pasre is probably thinner than the oem stuff. You need to see what amount of space is between the heatink and gpu.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the OEM stuff are quite alot. Larger then my sperms. ****.

Should i use the asus crapaste? Im idling @ 44degres now.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
yup, 102 is a bad application of TIM.

my personal preference is to apply a small amount of TIM on the GPU die and spread it thinly and evenly with a razor blade, then do the same on the HSF. Put the 2 together loosly with the screws, wiggle it a little and then tighten. Some say this leads to air bubbles, but I have always had better temps using this method.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i re-applied the thermal pastes. overlapped my mx-2 with some random asus thermal paste. Quite an improvement.I can run ATI-Tool for 5 minutes straight without shut down (previously , i cant even last 3 minutes).

With a constant temps at 100c (full load).

Hmmm...

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:

So i re-applied the thermal pastes. overlapped my mx-2 with some random asus thermal paste. Quite an improvement.I can run ATI-Tool for 5 minutes straight without shut down (previously , i cant even last 3 minutes).

Hmmm...

Yeah... You don't reuse thermal pastes.. lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LethalRise750 View Post
Yeah... You don't reuse thermal pastes.. lol
yup and with gpus you work on the credit card method as if you dont use that method for cpus then its different. And make sure that its a nice even thin layer but enough for the stock cooler to touch it. As you dont way to force the screws to tight. Just take your time and dont rush things best way to go about it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:

Hmmm...
100C load is still horrible, and still something wrong.

Look, if you are in the US, go run down to Staples and grab a tube of Arctic silver 5. No, its not the best anymore, but should still be better than the stock, and should help you fix these screaming temps. If you have a different store that carries something better, go get it instead. Don't let your poor card fry!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts