Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been trying to OC my FX-6300, and it doesn't seem to want to go past 4.2ghz.

At 4.2ghz, no prime95 workers fail, and the CPU stayed at arount 65c (Cryorig H7 cooler). It stays around 45c under gaming/editing load, and 24c idle.
This is at 1.325v on the CPU VCORE, with all power saving features except cool n quiet disabled, as well as turbo.

But, if I try to go any higher than 4.2ghz (even at 4.3), no matter how high I raise the voltage (maximum I've tried is 1.45, since I've read that around 1.55 is the max safe voltage), it always fails the 5th and 6th prime95 workers.
While testing, it still stayed within safe temps, never going above 70c.
Is this just my chip's limit? Or, is there something else that I need to tweak/change in order for it to work?
I'm new to overclocking, so all I've changed is the multiplier, CPU VCORE voltage, and the power saving settings.

This is my whole build, and my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, followed that guide, and I found what I wasn't doing before. I didn't change my NB core.
So this time, I set both the vcore and nb core to +0.1v past the default, and set the frequency to 4.3ghz.
Ran IBT, and with the default settings (10 times to run, standard/1024mb, all threads), it completed saying I was stable, and had these results:

My max temp was 61c, and according to HWMonitor, my max CPU VCORE used was 1.320v.

So, this is good then?
And if so, can I just keep going up by 0.1ghz and upping the voltage slightly until I reach my max temp limit?
Or am I limited by something else?

Thanks Duality!

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
No matter what it says when you see -1 in the results column it is not stable and needs more volts. +3 is the sweet spot.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Honestly I don't know what to tell you. You are using two different brands of ram and that could be your whole problem. Is it stable when the bios is set to all default settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's perfectly stable at stock settings.
And I wouldn't think the ram would be an issue; The timings and everything but the actual branding are the same, according to their specs.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
If it is stable at stock, then just bump up the multi and then bump up the vcore until it is stable at that level. Repeat until you run out of cooling. This keeps anything else from changing and confusing matters.

Ram from different manufacturers can have the same specs but still have different "personalities" that can conflict with each other when stressed. Most experienced people will tell you to pull one set out and try it like that.

I just noticed that you have a 500watt bronze PSU. That is a little on the light weight side. I had a 500 watt PSU some years ago and it could not keep up. My current system uses more power than your does but I still see it routinely pulling 500+ watts while gaming. Can you post something like this so we can see how your system is doing while under a full load?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I shouldn't bump up the nb core then?
I'm not sure how I'd measure my current power consumption short of getting a meter to plug into the wall, but this is my system under an IBT load:

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtpetch View Post

Okay, so I shouldn't bump up the nb core then?
I'm not sure how I'd measure my current power consumption short of getting a meter to plug into the wall, but this is my system under an IBT load:
It's still unstable. You need real values in the Results portion, that's only a vcore bump.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Gawd I hate HWMonitor!!
mad.gif

Look at your voltages. They are nowhere near where they are supposed to be and it is most likely HWMonitor showing the wrong voltages. Get thyself to google and dl HWINFO64 immediately if not sooner, then run IBT with it and see what your voltages really are.
smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts