Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a new PC.
And installed Windows Xp Pro, but it seems that i can't stabilize the system i have updated everything from drivers to bios update but nothin seems to work.
And sometimes when i do a couple of things at the same time the music that i play stutters, i don't know how to fix this problem.
If any of you have any idea what this is pls help me..
(All my drives are on IDE p-ata)

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
what makes you think that your system is unstable? random shutdowns? have you ran prime95? also what are your temps? it may be an overheating problem. give us a little bit more info and i hope we can help you.
and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

what makes you think that your system is unstable? random shutdowns? have you ran prime95? also what are your temps? it may be an overheating problem. give us a little bit more info and i hope we can help you.
and welcome to the forum

My temps are 35C Idle stressed in don't know haven't test yet but i don't think its an overheating problem.
I haven't run prime95 yet...
Well i think it's unstable because sometimes when i only go to my computer and browse folders and play music at the same time the CPU usage jumps to almost 100%
And my music stutters often, and when i run things at the same time CPU usage go's way up not normal.
I did more things at the same time on my old p4 1,8Ghz and this is an 3,6Ghz.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have run Prime95 and after a couple of minutes this was the result:
[Sun Feb 13 20:49:35 2005]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
I don't know what this means.

·
Registered
447 Posts
maybe the CPU isnt mounted correctly

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
sounds ALOT like spyware becase you said your CPU usage sometimes jumps to 100%. certain annoying pieces of spyware will take up your CPU usage and your RAM cache which may be an explanation for your music stuttering. download AdAware and see if it finds anything serious. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

EDIT: sorry didnt see your post about prime95. sounds like maybe a fault component somewhere or like jack said something isnt mounted properly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheRipper

maybe the CPU isnt mounted correctly

How can my pc run if its not mounted correctly?
It only fits one way the cpu right?

I put a stress test on it for 15min long and CPU temp never goes above 45 degrees.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible that when i buy new S-ATA disk the problem will be over?
Because i now have 2 P-ATA disks and 2 P-ATA cd-rom drives, the bios only sees whats on the primairie IDE.
After the POST scan there's another scan on the ITE controller (the second IDE) and then it scans my other two cd-rom drives.
It is not possible for me to install windows this way because dos or bios doesnt see the cd-rom drives.
But when i install the hard drive and cd-rom to the primairie IDE it does detect the hard drive and cd-rom and everything works.

And also is it possible to mount the CPU cooler to tight that that causes instability?
Temps are 30C idle and 45C load max. (Star-Ice, Arctic Silver 5)

·
Registered
120 Posts
did you oc? if prime95 fails and your temp seems ok, try raising vcore. like suggested, check for spyware. I don't think the cpu is mounted incorrectly, since it won't boot if it is so. And your temp suggests that heatsink is mounted correctly

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki

did you oc? if prime95 fails and your temp seems ok, try raising vcore. like suggested, check for spyware. I don't think the cpu is mounted incorrectly, since it won't boot if it is so. And your temp suggests that heatsink is mounted correctly

My PC is not OC' (yet) im first tryin to stabalize it.
And i allready have checked for spyware but thats also not the problem.
I still don't know what the problem is......

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
mayb ur mem timings are too tight? ensure that they are turned to the manufacturers settings ot to auto/by spd. overheating causes the pentium 4 to 'thorttle' so wats ur temps?, do u have adequate cooling?, wat thermalpaste did u use

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

mayb ur mem timings are too tight? ensure that they are turned to the manufacturers settings ot to auto/by spd. overheating causes the pentium 4 to 'thorttle' so wats ur temps?, do u have adequate cooling?, wat thermalpaste did u use

Temps are 30C idle and 45C load max. (Star-Ice, Arctic Silver 5)
Memory timings are on auto by SPD.
Is it possible it has anything to do with incompatibility with P-ATA drives?
I also have to install a ITE driver before windows sees my HDD.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the problem.

The problem was the Intel chipset driver, when i installed a fresh Windows XP OS and then install everything except Intel chipset driver and everything is ok.
No more stuttering mouse and sound!

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
there is a XP update that you must install on all P5AD2 boards. If you dont install that before you install your Mobo Driver, then your system will act weird and/or your XP insatll will become currupt

just check, it's on the driver disk (ussually)

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
also, in the BIOS there is a P-ATA setting that i tihnk if you chnage it will become good. it is somewhere in the bios, i've seen it there, have a look trough all your boot options and Hardisk drive options and controllers. I tihnk if you chnage it from S-ATA to P-ATA it may fix your problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

also, in the BIOS there is a P-ATA setting that i tihnk if you chnage it will become good. it is somewhere in the bios, i've seen it there, have a look trough all your boot options and Hardisk drive options and controllers. I tihnk if you chnage it from S-ATA to P-ATA it may fix your problem

The option is allready set for P-ATA now.
But that xp update problem sounds good thank you for advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts