Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've narrowed down this sound I'm hearing to a cap on my motherboard. I only hear this sound while I'm stress testing my CPU.

I just installed an H50 on my CPU a little over a week ago. Soon after I noticed a sound that I originally thought to be the pump on the H50.

I eliminated the possibility of the noise coming from the H50 or any fans in my rig. I even installed a new PSU to determine if it was the PSU or PSU fans.

I think that the only thing left is a capacitor on my motherboard.

Since my motherboard is BFG and I know for a fact they won't repair it or replace it with an RMA if they were to even issue an RMA...I think that I might replace the caps myself.

I have decent soldering skills so I don't think that it will be a problem, but I need to know all the caps that I should replace and where to get these caps.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't a bad motherboard cap cause instability and even damage the board, cpu or ram?

Also, if I'm replacing one bad one, shouldn't I just replace them all?

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post
Can't a bad motherboard cap cause instability and even damage the board, cpu or ram?

Also, if I'm replacing one bad one, shouldn't I just replace them all?
Yes, if your board is going under surgery, you might as well replace them all. And a bad cap can cause instability and possibly damage equipment.

You can grab capacitors usually for pretty cheap at Radio Shack

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Yes, if your board is going under surgery, you might as well replace them all. And a bad cap can cause instability and possibly damage equipment.

You can grab capacitors usually for pretty cheap at Radio Shack
Would you recommend just the caps around the CPU socket area or all of them on the board?

I probably won't be able to upgrade to the next gen(i7,i5, etc.) for at least another year so this board has got to last. I'd also rather not have to do this more than once, so that is why I was thinking about replacing all of them.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy View Post
Well there are different types of squealing. Some is normal another type is destructive,. If you can tell the difference then yes replace it. If you cant gives us more information.
I mainly hear the squealing when I'm stress testing my cpu. I can hear it a little at times while gaming too. If it is squealing while idle, the noise from my fans cover it up.

When I first heard it, my thought was that a case fan's bearing was going out. The pitch of the squealing varies enough that it sounded like it was coming from something that was rotating(fan).

I ruled out my H50 pump, all case fans, and my PSU being the culprit. I'm thinking that before I undergo the cap replacement on the motherboard, I should run a different GPU to rule out the possibility of a cap on there being bad. But, I don't think stress testing the CPU should cause a cap on the GPU to squeal.

Edit: Another thought of mine that might help you determine what it sounds like...
Another thing I did when I first heard it was to turn my monitor off because it sounded a lot like an old crappy crt monitor I had that was on its way out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Mine blew out the power to the ram slots. Seemed to be a common thing to happen with the 680i boards. I'd trace everything that gives the ram power.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott
View Post

Mine blew out the power to the ram slots. Seemed to be a common thing to happen with the 680i boards. I'd trace everything that gives the ram power.

That makes sense actually...I hear the squealing while stress testing using LinX and Orthos Blend, but not during Small FFTs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts