Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the release of the 10.3a preview drivers for ATI cards, I decided to revisit my OC on my card - I bumped my voltage a bit and I'm sitting at 900/1200 comfortably without my temps getting out of hand (pushing about 70c w/ stock cooler while stressing).

But ever since I installed my new PSU, I've been getting a high-pitched whine/squeal that I thought was usually attributed to capacitor whine. I thought I got it very occasionally before, but usually only through my speakers or headphones, which I attributed to the card itself running @ 100% and not psu capacitor whine.

The thing is, when I stress test my GPU, I dont get it. Only when I run the [email protected] client.. it's not as bad as I remember it being this morning, so I might be able to deal with it (should I decide not to VMware fold) but I dont get why I'd get it only when folding and not when running Kombuster for stability testing..

I'd post this in the ATI thread, but since it only apparently happens when I'm folding, figured I'd start here. Mods, if this should be moved, please do so by all means.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
You shouldn't need to up voltage for 900 core.
If the whine is down to the new psu then you need to rma asap, they tend to go with a bang soon after :/ If it's the graphics card that just means you are doing it right

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But with a more powerful PSU previous to this, I didn't get this whine.. I understand that people have posted this in general but if you read my question you'd see that it's a different circumstance.

It's a whine that I didn't previously get, and I dont get at other times when the GPU is running @ 100% usage. If I thought it was the same scenario as everyone else, I would chalk it up. I just found it odd that one kind of 100% usage (the stress test, which actually is more strenuous, which is demonstrated by higher temps) creates the whine, whereas folding on the GPU doesnt. Redacted after rereading Shrimp's response.

It's odd though; GPU folding doesnt generate as high temps but it creates the whine.. has the actual cause of this been explained and my 20 minutes of searching forums here just didn't find it? R my google broke?

... Also, should I be concerned that it's getting quieter?

And why is my screen all fuzzy now? (ok, this part was a joke)

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo View Post
You shouldn't need to up voltage for 900 core.
If the whine is down to the new psu then you need to rma asap, they tend to go with a bang soon after :/ If it's the graphics card that just means you are doing it right

I get artifacting @ 900/1200 if I dont up the volts :/ I'm gonna work on backing down my volts. Any idea if Kombuster is an OK stress tester for fine tuning my OC? GPUTool seemed to do OK but after artifacting I'd have issues restarting it.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MistaBernie View Post
It's odd though; GPU folding doesnt generate as high temps but it creates the whine.. has the actual cause of this been explained and my 20 minutes of searching forums here just didn't find it? R my google broke?
This would be the most thorough information I found in the Folding section.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

This would be the most thorough information I found in the Folding section.

I certainly feel like my picture...

Thanks Zodac! :cookie:, since I cant give :rep:

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Cookies are fine.

In future, try using the "Forum Search" rather than the Google Search; it limits the search to the chosen forum.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's actually what I used... I just failed. Hard to believe, I'm sure..

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny, my 384 pt GPU work units have a higher whine than my 511 point work units. The 384s finish @ 1:03 TPF, the 511s @ 1:40ish...

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Ahhh, those dreaded 511s. They gave me such a headache. Now my GPU doesn't squeal (except for the odd 472).
Happy days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts