Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place to put this, and if not, can a mod please move it?

monday is my birthday, and im at my dad's this weekend, so he gave me my presents.

i got a "mobile authority" 300watt amp (model 209zxi cs) and am looking for speakers and stereo to go with it.

i have no idea what i'm looking for, and will most likely not be buying anything at the moment, waiting to buy myself a better car to install it in.

what do you think of the following:
BOSS AUDIO CH5520 5.25" - $19.99
(idk what stereo to get)

also i have no idea how it should be hooked up. as i understand it, standard output to the front stock speakers; pre-amp hookup to amp, leading to rear speakers (upgraded ones) and sub (do i use stock?)

im not going to want to spend more than 150-200 on stereo and speakers combined.

thanks for any help you can give!

· Premium Member
36,980 Posts
Honestly, its only 75w RMS x 2 @ 2ohm. You'd get just as much power out of a decent head unit.

I'd say grab a roughly $100 head unit (Pioneer makes solid ones on a budget). And then a pair of speakers, maybe some Alpine Type S.

• Rep+
Reactions: rocker22dallas

· Registered
666 Posts
what yo should do is just get a better reciever, that will put out more voltage to your stock speakers and make them louder, then to get a better range of sound, just get an amp and a subwoofer.

when wiring your speakers you can just use your old speaker wire if you power it with your new reciever.

I'll let you know now your going to have to rip apart your entire interior if you want to wire it properly. its not that hard to do....if your know how to do it.

btw look on craigslist you can find great deals on there.

call these guys they are the best in the business and can tell you exactly what to do and have awesome prices and sales

· Registered
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;12977827
Honestly, its only 75w RMS x 2 @ 2ohm. You'd get just as much power out of a decent head unit.

I'd say grab a roughly $100 head unit (Pioneer makes solid ones on a budget). And then a pair of speakers, maybe some Alpine Type S.
I've got a pioneer and alpine S's all the way around
lachen.gif

I second what pioneer said. that is the simplest way to do it. that way you just replace the old reciever with the new pioneer you bought and replace the old speakers with new ones. no wiring neccesary, cheap and simple all while adding a great boost to sound quality and a big enough increase in volume for your needs

· Registered
34 Posts
Don't go with BOSS, it will sound terrible, and if you put any amount of real power on them, they will blow.

Plenty of good manufacturers though, Alpine, Pioneer, Kicker, Polk, JBL, Infinity, Rockford and Vibe are what you should look into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;12977827

Not a fan of the newest pioneers, havent sold one at work in forever, the older ones were a lot better.

To OP, Kenwood, Alpine, and JVC all make pretty solid headunits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (mirror)52-D.S.L.;12977873
btw look on craigslist you can find great deals on there.

call these guys they are the best in the business and can tell you exactly what to do and have awesome prices and sales
I agree with looking at Craigslist, but Crutchfield is kinda meh, IMO.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got a 300 watt amp for my birthday, im just not sure how to saturate that power.

is it possible to get a decent pioneer reciever and speakers, then work it in with the 300 watt amp?

i really am quite blind when it comes to sound setup. however im great with soldering, wire hook-up, and such.

what i was thinking was putting 1 pair of decent speakers in the back of whatever car i get, that way i wouldn't have to take the door apart, it wouldn't be hard to hide the wires or the amp. UGH this is so confusing.

im thinking it would go like this
View attachment 203526

· Premium Member
36,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker22dallas;12978559
well i got a 300 watt amp for my birthday, im just not sure how to saturate that power.

is it possible to get a decent pioneer reciever and speakers, then work it in with the 300 watt amp?

i really am quite blind when it comes to sound setup. however im great with soldering, wire hook-up, and such.

what i was thinking was putting 1 pair of decent speakers in the back of whatever car i get, that way i wouldn't have to take the door apart, it wouldn't be hard to hide the wires or the amp. UGH this is so confusing.

im thinking it would go like this
View attachment 203526
That's what I'm telling you. That's NOT a 300w amp. It's a 75w (at 2ohm, most speakers are 4ohm) x2. So at the absolute MOST, you'll ever get is 150w out of it. You'll likely see somewhere around 25-30w RMS at a 4ohm load out of it, which a head unit can put out 22-25w RMS.

Just get a good head unit and speakers. Work your way up from there. The amp you have gotten isn't great at all, and is no better than an aftermarket head unit for power.

· Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;12978695
That's what I'm telling you. That's NOT a 300w amp. It's a 75w (at 2ohm, most speakers are 4ohm) x2. So at the absolute MOST, you'll ever get is 150w out of it. You'll likely see somewhere around 25-30w RMS at a 4ohm load out of it, which a head unit can put out 22-25w RMS.

Just get a good head unit and speakers. Work your way up from there. The amp you have gotten isn't great at all, and is no better than an aftermarket head unit for power.
Sorry, but he is right, not a great amp at all.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh
frown.gif
well is there any real use for it then?

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i might just have it improve the sterio in my truck, and when i get a newer car trick out the audio in it with a better amp. is an amp really needed? or would a decent 100 dollar or so single din stereo work fine (with better speakers)

· Linux Lobbyist
2,108 Posts
That middle pin on your config shouldn't be wired to your ignition. On your head unit's wiring harness there should be a low voltage pin, usually labelled "remote" or "amplifier on" - specifically for amplifier remote start. Basically if your head unit is in use, it sends a low amount of voltage to the amplifier to let it know its supposed to be on, if it isn't the amplifier stays off, saving a considerable amount of energy.

· Premium Member
36,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker22dallas;12980844
i might just have it improve the sterio in my truck, and when i get a newer car trick out the audio in it with a better amp. is an amp really needed? or would a decent 100 dollar or so single din stereo work fine (with better speakers)
You could use the amp I suppose, just so you can learn how they wire up and everything. But a decent $100-150 head unit would be cleaner, louder, and give you a much better experience than such a cheap amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451;12981055
Better prices than crutchfield

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/
I wouldn't trust onlinecarstereo ever. I've heard a LOT of horror stories from them. sonicelectronix, woofersetc, and vmiinnovations (ebay store, have their own site too) are all solid places to buy car audio new online. Sonic is basically the newegg of car audio. woofersetc, is like the TigerDirect, and vmiinnovations...well they're an ebay store, but good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelerater;12981584
there is NOTHING made by BOSS worth owning and Newegg does not sell much car audio worth owning as well
Agreed 100%. They don't even carry decent head units honestly. You'd have a better time finding quality audio at Wal Mart sadly. Newegg is a computer parts shop (mostly), not car audio.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, well i would be looking to spend 300 dollars on audio for my car, can anybody help point me in the direction of better quality parts? i would like to have 2 knobs on the head unit (volume and tuning), usb, and 3.5mm input. also i would prolly keep the front speakers stock, and install new speakers in the back as well as a sub.

any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated

· Registered
249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker22dallas
View Post

ok, well i would be looking to spend 300 dollars on audio for my car, can anybody help point me in the direction of better quality parts? i would like to have 2 knobs on the head unit (volume and tuning), usb, and 3.5mm input. also i would prolly keep the front speakers stock, and install new speakers in the back as well as a sub.

any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated

300 bucks buys you very little

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by excelerater
View Post

300 bucks buys you very little

bah! how much should i spend? o.o

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.