Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need a bit of help here is possible please, basically i've upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM and now after cold boots my AMD graphics driver crashes/the card is not found on startup. To remedy this i have to go into bios and tweak any random setting, restart, and i'm back running fine again, sometimes even just a normal restart is sufficient.

My specs are:

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
i5-6600K
HyperX Fury Black DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz
Arctic Cooler Freezer i30
Club 3D royalKing HD 7870
Samsung 840 120GB (OS) + 500GB Samsung HDD
be quiet! Pure Power 730W Hybrid Modular PSU
Windows 10 64-bit

Couple of weeks this has been going for now and i really am stumped, i've tried the obvious clean OS installs (windows 8 and windows 10), different bios firmware, have even contacted Club 3D about UEFI firmware for the card as i was reading something about this maybe being an issue with it being a UEFI motherboard.

I'd like to point out nothing is overclocked on the system as yet, wanted to wait until everything is running smoothly first. I did however try enabling X.M.P and it seems to freeze my system and then subsequently turn my screen off, maybe this is an issue on it's own or the 2 are linked...

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Try resetting the BIOS. Unplug the PSU. Remove the BIOS battery, push the power button a few times, then put it back together.
This will reset all the BIOS settings to their defaults. Note that any setting that had previously been changed will have to be reset (ie changed again manually).

Don't use XMP. It's just the motherboard manufactures guess at what memory settings will work.

·
Fan Man
674 Posts
Check that priority is given to the PCIE graphics and not to the IGP graphics. Personally i always disable the IGP.
For instance on my Asus Maximus VII Hero it is this option: under Advanced \ System Agent Configuration \ Graphics configuration: "Primary Display" --> Auto / CPU Graphics / PCIE
Look in BIOS for similar option on your board.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Try resetting the BIOS. Unplug the PSU. Remove the BIOS battery, push the power button a few times, then put it back together.
This will reset all the BIOS settings to their defaults. Note that any setting that had previously been changed will have to be reset (ie changed again manually).

Don't use XMP. It's just the motherboard manufactures guess at what memory settings will work.
Bad advice. XMP does exactly 0 stuff with driver related issues.

OP, have you tried uninstalling both the motherboard and the GPU drivers? Remove all motherboard dirvers, new and old, remove the GPU drivers, install the new motherboard/chipset drivers (stop Windows from automatically installing drivers from Device Settings), and then install GPU drivers again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried that ku4eto with no luck unfortunately, have tried a few driver combinations actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvedLine View Post

Check that priority is given to the PCIE graphics and not to the IGP graphics. Personally i always disable the IGP.
For instance on my Asus Maximus VII Hero it is this option: under Advanced \ System Agent Configuration \ Graphics configuration: "Primary Display" --> Auto / CPU Graphics / PCIE
Look in BIOS for similar option on your board.

Things got a bit stranger today anyway! As i had a bit of time on my hands to do a bit more troubleshooting i decided to rebuild it again just on the off-chance i missed anything first time around. I should note the only thing i didn't touch though was the CPU/cooler and RAM. In the process of this i also did as suggested and cleared CMOS with battery method.

Now this is where it gets strange, windows AND the BIOS are only recognizing 1 stick of RAM now where-as it's always been running on the full 16GB before. The other 'minor' issue is that the BIOS/windows clocks are wrong.

Got me worrying now maybe it is a faulty ram stick causing the issue...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts