1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have modded an ATX full-tower as following (from top to the bottom):

3 5.25'' slots:
1st: CD/DVD RW drive
2nd and third: a 3.5'' adaptor so i could put there my HDD with an old Globalwin heatsing on the top of the HDD and a 8cm fan in the front blowing air directly on the HDD and the heatsing from the side. This got me a 22oC drop of my HDD temperature, when the fan is working (4500rpm).

3 3.5'' slots: only my 2nd HDD in there and a 6cm fan mounted in the front blowing air into the case and on to my 2nd HDD. This HDD is an old Quantum 40GB drive, with no heat sensor, so i don't know what is the temp difference like.

bottom of the case: 1 really small fan (4,5-5cm) and under this a nice Zalman 9cm fan, that can work at low speed (silent) or full speed (considerable increase of the noise). These fans blow air into the case.

My CPU cooler is a Gigabyte G-cooler pro with adjustable fan speed.

From the back of the case the air is being vented out by my PSU's fan (old PSU, the fan is not doing a good work, too little air vented out in my opinion).
There are also some spaces between the case and the mobo's serial, USB, e.t.c. slots and an intentionaly PCI slot left open, so that air can go out from there.

Problem: My case is currenlty open with mobo idle temp at: 32oC and CPU idle temp at 38oC (cpu cooler lowest speed). So, with my case being open, the 2 bottom fans really do not contribute to the case cooling (i have switches for each and every fan, so i can turn some on or off depending on system temps and how i use my PC).

The general idea was to close the case... i did so and realized that when my PC was idle and with: CPU fan speed at lowest level, PSU fan on (always working), the 2 HDD fans off, the small bottom fan off and the Zalman 9cm fan on but at low speed... i had a 8oC increase in the CPU's temp!!!!!!

Logic says that this happened because by closing the case, the inside air couldn't be renewed properly and thus my CPU cooler had to cool my CPU using hottest air than before (when my case was open) and thus the temp increase came...

When all fans on, i had better results than when my case was open but also a lot of noise.... i mean the damn thing was making noise like an airplane that is taking off..................

Consider than my PC is on 24/7, but mostly downloading from the internet, thus idle... so i don't think that closing my case really worths it...

I thought of using some material to partialy close the case from the side... but leave the top open. Closing the sides will force the air, being blowed by the bottom-front side fans, to go inside the case towards the mobo, CPU, Graphic card and then out of the case from the top or the back, and at the same time, the hot air produced by the cooling of the CPU will be able to find its way out of the case from the open top of the case.

what do you think ?

P.S. it is impossible to add a 2nd fan at the back to vent hot air out.
I could always replace my old PSU with a new dual-fan one, but
i would prefer not to do this, as my PSU is working fine.
I could add another 9cm Zalman fan at the side of the case, venting air directly on the CPU cooler, or venting air out of the case, which would be best ?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Well if your temps are high then your cooling isnt good, you should have more air comming in the case than going out like me, i have 3 intakes and 2 outtakes mine idle is 26° and load 32° and thats with a stock hsf

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
hi mate, why dont u read the following guide and then compare it to what you are doing right now. it will definitely improve your situation and you would not in my opinion require that many fans inside your casing. take it from me, i had 8 TT high CFM fans in my last rig and learned the hard way.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/71307-...now-about.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts