Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

**EDIT** 9/21/09

For those asking what I used and where I bought it, go directly to this post.

**/EDIT**

I'm currently updating my Antec Ninehundred case since I've upgraded to an i7 from an FX-60 socket 939. Here's my project, a work in progress. Notice the hodge podge of fans. Antec Tricools, Yate Loon D12SH-12's, an Apeva 120mm, and the Cogage's PWM fan.

I did take time to sleeve them all while I was waiting for my new fans to come in. The Cogage is actually a pretty quiet fan and it made for good practice:

After a bit of waiting finally my fans came in. I bought 4 of these Arctic Cooling 12025PWM's. 2 for Push/Pull duty on my Cogage Heatsink and 2 for intake duty on the case front

I also ordered one of these for my rear exhaust fan. Mostly because I was curious about the design. I had a chance to run it and it is incredibly quiet even at full speed.

It's an interesting looking fan. Needs to be modded!

Isolating mounts for the front case fans:

Modded pics coming soon!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, the fans are modded, shortened, and sleeved.

This first pair is my Push/Pull for my Cogage heatsink. Wires on both shortened to 6". One daisy chain adapter was removed and that fan has been converted to single PWM with the rpm wire being removed from the 3pin and instead inserted into the 4 pin. The other fan keeps the daisy chain header.

This second pair is for case intake. Wires are standard length. Again, one daisy chain adapter is removed and that fan has been converted to single PWM with rpm wire inserted into the 4 pin. The other fan keeps the daisy chain header.

Rear exhaust fan. Removed the daisy chain adapter. RPM sensor wire was removed from the 3 pin and added to the 4 pin converting it into a standare 4 pin PWM fan. Also the decal was removed and rotated so that it will appear in the correct orientation when installed.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Wow, I admire your patience and skill. What will happen to the cogage PWM?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gymenii View Post
Wow, I admire your patience and skill. What will happen to the cogage PWM?
Thanks. It does take a bit of patience but it's not to bad.

Actually I was impatient waiting for the AC fans to come in and that's why I have a bunch of sleeved fans that are not going to be used in my case. Like the Cogage. It's sitting in a box right now, I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Maybe I'll put a PC together using some old components I have laying around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOURMOMLISK View Post
You have the cleanest Antec 900 I've ever seen. What sleeving do you use?
Thanks. Hopefully it'll be more impressive when I finish my mods. ;D

The sleeving is the Techflex Cleancut 1/8". I bought it from ebay for about $5 per 25feet. I bougt about 100 feet or 30m and I still have a bit left.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Hey man, great job, your 900 looks awesome!

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Wow, very clean and nicely done. Good job!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I am curious to what happened to the old hardware... Looks amazing btw, wish I had enough patience for this kinda stuff. I just cram all the wires in and play...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look at enough PCs with great wire sleeving and it's hard not to want to try it yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubz View Post
I am curious to what happened to the old hardware... Looks amazing btw, wish I had enough patience for this kinda stuff. I just cram all the wires in and play...
What old hardware? This is my old setup:

If you're talking about my fans they're boxed up with my old motherboards, heatsinks, cases, etc.

I kinda learned the importance of cable management with my first build (overclocked Pentium M):

Anyway, I've got the fans installed. I'm going to try and get some good looking pics of them in the case if I can.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok, here are the pic of the fans in the case.

I also modded the Antec "Bigboy" to run on a 3 pin header now. You can see it plugged in above the memory in the picture below. I just desoldered the 3wires from a broken Yate Loon and soldered it onto the bigboy and jumpered it so that it would run full speed, that way it can be speed controlled by voltage. Of course I sleeved it, too.

The new sleeved fans in the case. Look for the sleeved wires:

I just wanted to get a detailed shot of the wrinkle finish paint:

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WarlordOne View Post
I just wanted to get a detailed shot of the wrinkle finish paint....
Mmmm wrinkle finish - looks really good with the red. I was talking with a powder coater this morning about doing black and they have a run of black wrinkle coming up possibly next week - it just doesn't match up with the plastic bezel panels on my case though otherwise I probably would go for it.

Nice job - your sleeving and entire case looks awesome.

·
M2N Fan
2,863 Posts
Warlordone, how are those AC fans performing on your cpu cooler?
I sent an e-mail to AC to find out the static pressure but have not heard back.

Thanks

Gyro

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCP281 View Post
Beautifuly done! Great macro shots to; I have never seen an exhaust fan look so good.

Thanks! I was surprised by how nice that exhaust fan looked myself. The online pics just don't do any justice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAFenvy View Post
Mmmm wrinkle finish - looks really good with the red. I was talking with a powder coater this morning about doing black and they have a run of black wrinkle coming up possibly next week - it just doesn't match up with the plastic bezel panels on my case though otherwise I probably would go for it.

Nice job - your sleeving and entire case looks awesome.
That's another reason I went red instead of black. You don't have to worry about a match! Thanks, I'm enjoying the process of modding as much as the results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Warlordone, how are those AC fans performing on your cpu cooler?
You don't have to worry about static pressure so much when you're using a push/pull configuration, so I never bothered even looking. I see on their site they say they have "high static pressue" but no actual figures. Strange. What I was looking for was cheap, quiet, PWM in pair, low to moderate RPM. These fans were pretty much the only fit and at about $3.50 each IIRC, I can't complain.

The cooling is fine. 30 degrees idle and 65 degrees with load on 8x cores/threads. +/- a few degrees depending on ambient. Running 4Ghz i7 right now with dynamic voltage ~ambient temp was 25degrees C for the above results.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Warlord, I keep coming back here and looking at this, and considering how good this looks I'm now going to redo my fan setup. Questions about your setup.... are you running all the AC PWM fans from the CPU fan header or is their another connection(s)? Pics are a little dark so I can't see any of the connections. If these are all daisy-chained off the CPU fan header, how much RPM/Voltage do you lose from the load? Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what tool did you use to take the PSU ATX caps off so that you could sleeve them, especially on the 20-24pin mobo plug.
I ask this because I also have a Thermaltake PSU, and the tool that I purchased wasn't the right fit for the little tabs, so I was unable to remove the caps. Any tips/links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gymenii View Post
Warlord, I keep coming back here and looking at this, and considering how good this looks I'm now going to redo my fan setup. Questions about your setup.... are you running all the AC PWM fans from the CPU fan header or is their another connection(s)? Pics are a little dark so I can't see any of the connections. If these are all daisy-chained off the CPU fan header, how much RPM/Voltage do you lose from the load? Thanks

Thanks, that's a nice compliment. I'm using 3 fan headers. The rear fan is on it's own PWM header and registers at 1500rpm @ 100%. The CPU push/pull pair is on the CPU PWM header and registers at 1400rpm RPM @ 100%. The front fan pair is on a 3pin mb header and registers at 1400rpm @ 100%. All readings are taken from speedfan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GapTroll View Post
Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what tool did you use to take the PSU ATX caps off so that you could sleeve them, especially on the 20-24pin mobo plug.
I ask this because I also have a Thermaltake PSU, and the tool that I purchased wasn't the right fit for the little tabs, so I was unable to remove the caps. Any tips/links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I used two medium sized safety pins heatshrinked together so that the needle part is side by side. Push it in one side of the pin then the other side to flatten the tabs and pull to remove the pin. I meant to take a pic of the tool I used but forgot to. Oh and I didn't sleeve the 24pin. I bought a silverstone 20/24 pin extension and sleeved that instead. The Thermaltake PSU 24 pin was too short to get the nice loop I wanted.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I'm at home now so I can get you a bit more accurate of a reading vs what I did from memory:

The rear fan is on it's own PWM header and registers at 1510RPM @ 100%.
The CPU push/pull pair is on the CPU PWM header and registers at 1356rpm RPM @ 100%
The front fan pair is on a 3pin mb header and registers at 1315RPM @ 100%

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WarlordOne View Post
Thanks, that's a nice compliment. I'm using 3 fan headers. The rear fan is on it's own PWM header and registers at 1500rpm @ 100%. The CPU push/pull pair is on the CPU PWM header and registers at 1400rpm RPM @ 100%. The front fan pair is on a 3pin mb header and registers at 1400rpm @ 100%. All readings are taken from speedfan.
Thanks for info.

oh and thanks for the update too!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts